Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
How to open a file with......? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

forquare1 wrote:
Vigil wrote:
I'm thinking that people using linux will hopefully have the know-how to deal with html/swf files if organised nicely on the CD. My supervisor uses macs, which I am unfamilar with. How do they cope with autorun and shortcuts?

On OS X, autorun won't work and Windows shortcuts won't work either...

But OS X and Linux do both work fine with HTML and completely don't recognise EXE files, which was my objection to compiling the Flash into an EXE.

Keep the layout "nicely organised" like you say. For example, just have "index.html" as the only file in the root.

steve74 wrote:
What we do with our company's CD-ROM, created in Flash, is to save two projectors - one for Windows (which is an .exe file) and one for Mac OS X (which is an .app file). Flash can export both these types of file. To make it obvious which is for each platform, we called them "FOR_PC.exe" and "For Mac OS X.app".

Once you've got the .exe file and .app file in a folder just set an auto-run file called "AUTORUN.INF to launch the .exe file on Windows - then burn the folder to a CD-R. When PCs insert the disc, it should auto-start the Flash projector - Mac users will have to open the disc and double-click the .app file* but that's not such a big deal for us. And it's still pretty tidy, with only two files on the CD.

As I understand it, if you save the presentation as a self-contained projector (.exe for PCs or .app for Mac), then you don't need to install anything - it should just run.

Hope that helps.

*There always used to be an option in earlier versions of Toast where you could set a file to auto-run on Macs, but can't find it in Toast 7 or 8 so maybe there isn't a way to do that now?

That's great for Mac and Windows users, but doesn't help on other OS. These days, even some TVs can handle Flash and HTML. They're mostly Linux based.

AFAIK, Autorun was completely dropped by Apple with OS X because of the big problem they had with viruses.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Has a life

I'm torn between using only html or having an .app and .exe in two versions of the CD and including a html as a backup.

The problem with html (and I suppose for the exe and app files as well) is that the actual file has to be in the same folder as some other files that probably can't be moved. I've been using shortcuts to link to them from a higher folder :/

It's easy enough in windows.
I wonder if I can make a html page that loads up another page deeper in the folder structure.
Dunno about .app files :/

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:54 pm

Having an html file would be fine, it just means that the user must have a Flash plug-in (which is very likely).
The html can access files deep in directories:

Code:
<object width="550" height="400">
<param name="movie" value="general/media/flash/myfile.swf">
<embed src="general/media/flash/myfile.swf" width="550" height="400">
</embed>
</object>

If you like the idea of Windows and Mac executables, why not include all three (if you have tonnes of space)? You'll need to put the OS X app in the root of the disk so that OS X users can find it.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Ah brilliant. Time to make that html file.

I've thought about just including everything into one CD (there's more than enough space). But I fear examiners becoming confused if presented with more than one option :? I think for main distribution, a windows autorun and exe will be suffice.

Might just use the html as the alternative for OS X and everything else in the single CD. The .app file is a bit confusing... Flash is generating a folder with several subfolders and files...?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Vigil wrote:
Might just use the html as the alternative for OS X and everything else in the single CD. The .app file is a bit confusing... Flash is generating a folder with several subfolders and files...?

Yup, an OS X app is just a bunch of folders...OS X displays the top folder as an icon like you'd find in Program Files on Windows...Inside the bundle/package you'll find things like the execution code, maybe some important project files and probably icons/pictures used in the application, including the application icon to use...It looks really complicated on anything other than OS X, but OS X just makes it look like a single file...

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

forquare1 wrote:
Vigil wrote:

Yup, an OS X app is just a bunch of folders...OS X displays the top folder as an icon like you'd find in Program Files on Windows...Inside the bundle/package you'll find things like the execution code, maybe some important project files and probably icons/pictures used in the application, including the application icon to use...It looks really complicated on anything other than OS X, but OS X just makes it look like a single file...

Ah right I see. That's easy enough. Perhaps everything can go on one CD afterall.

Many thanks guys :)

Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2