Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PCs are rubbish 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Assassin8or wrote:
You do get stuff-it for Windows, when you pay for it. You can have a trial version, however, that's no good when you're working with a designer over a period of time.

You get WinRAR for a Mac too ;)

And how about Linux users? I think I definitely mentioned them.

You have to pay for it for OS X too, however Stuff-it expander is free, but only expands compressed files...

WinRAR was only useful for uncompressing RAR files, which I haven't seen around for a few years now...

Linux/UNIX users should be fine on zipped files, bzip/bzip2 and gzip compressed files by default.

I looked at a sitx and a sit file on OpenSolaris, it just sees it as a data file...Wasn't sure what to do with it :lol:

Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Back in the day, Mac files came in to parts - the resource fork, and the data fork. Compressing the data as a .zip would mess it up as the .zip format would treat each form as a separate file (which, in reality it was). Stuffit would retain the integrity of the file.

These days, Mac files don’t use resource and data forks - files are likely to be either bundles (folders) or flat files. Either way, compressing them using the zip format will not break them, and Windows users can open them with impunity too.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:02 pm
Occasionally has a life

forquare1 wrote:
You have to pay for it for OS X too, however Stuff-it expander is free, but only expands compressed files...

Actually, if the Mac version is anything like the windows shareware version, then you can just continue using it with impunity ad infinitum, so long as you care little about the nag box at every startup of the program.

forquare1 wrote:
WinRAR was only useful for uncompressing RAR files, which I haven't seen around for a few years now...

Linux/UNIX users should be fine on zipped files, bzip/bzip2 and gzip compressed files by default.

I looked at a sitx and a sit file on OpenSolaris, it just sees it as a data file...Wasn't sure what to do with it :lol:

.rar files are everywhere these days. The best reason for using WinRar I have found is the useful splitting of files feature. Great for large design files that are over the 10MB or 20MB mailbox limits; even when compressed. The best compression mode is very good too (much better than zip compression), and being a Linux user I know that I can get at my .rar format files in that OS too.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 pm

WinRAR wins, but please tell me guiRAR for the Mac is not called WinRAR? Shouldn't it be MacRAR?

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

JJW009 wrote:
WinRAR wins, but please tell me guiRAR for the Mac is not called WinRAR? Shouldn't it be MacRAR?

I think the official version on Linux is still WinRAR; there's a o.s. extractor on Linux which doesn't contain the proprietary code too.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:57 am

JJW009 wrote:
Shouldn't it be MacRAR?

It would be appropriate for an OS codenamed for wild cats.

I'll get me coat. ;)

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:02 am

HeatherKay wrote:
CrapBag7 wrote:
The Mac experience must be really lacking if you can drag your self away to urinate :lol:

That's why I got a MacBook Pro. WiFi surfing on the bog FTW!

:oops: I just typed that for real, didn't I?

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

What a classic :D
sigged.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:41 am
What's a life?

JJW009 wrote:

There is MacRAR, but there is also WinRAR For Mac.
I use UnRarX, cos I'm pervy like that.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:17 am
Spends far too much time on here

ProfessorF wrote:
Re. designers and their fondness of the Stuffit format - I gather sending some font formats in a .zip is a good way of messing them up. Hence the .sitx format which doesn't. Trying to make your life easier, they are. You do get Stuffit for Windows, don't you?
Tombolt might know what I'm on about.

That's exactly right. Postscript Type 1 fonts don't play nicely with Zip, or at least, never used to. Either way, stuffit files are smaller and I don't see it's a big deal for someone to download stuffit expander. That said, I only send artwork as stuffit.

A Mac User.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 am
Spends far too much time on here

7-zip FTW!! :wink:

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:14 pm
What's a life?

tombolt wrote:
ProfessorF wrote:
Re. designers and their fondness of the Stuffit format - I gather sending some font formats in a .zip is a good way of messing them up. Hence the .sitx format which doesn't. Trying to make your life easier, they are. You do get Stuffit for Windows, don't you?
Tombolt might know what I'm on about.

That's exactly right. Postscript Type 1 fonts don't play nicely with Zip, or at least, never used to. Either way, stuffit files are smaller and I don't see it's a big deal for someone to download stuffit expander. That said, I only send artwork as stuffit.

I think Mac OSX reconstitutes it’s own ZIP files - I know there is meta data stored in the archives which can confuse the non Mac users. Postscript type 1 fonts are text files, but the attendant "Suitcase" type folder would bork. These days, you just need the file, not the other tat which comes along for the ride.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7