Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Are we doing enough around the coronavirus outbreak? 
Legend

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-5234 ... -than-once

Now why the hell hasn't that been announced more widely? Why not definitively say it at a press conference?

Is it because only a few weeks ago we were talking about darkly laughable herd immunity?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 pm

This has been more widely reported. It's made headlines that people previously reported to have survived being infected have become infected again.
By all accounts it's rare, but it has happened.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
This has been more widely reported. It's made headlines that people previously reported to have survived being infected have become infected again.
By all accounts it's rare, but it has happened.

Mark

It should have been directly announced IMO, I personally only ever saw it in the midst of an article. The fact the BBC used it as a headline so far in kinda says it all, but also that it came from a senior figure trying to stop the virus.

How many people thought they were now immune and unnecessarily put themselves (and others) at risk because people like Hancock were talking about getting nurses etc back to work afterwards?

There's an element of public stupidity but it's on the government to address it directly and clearly. Mind you, why form a habit...

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:38 pm
What's a life?

It was in the main points of the news over here as well, about 2 weeks ago, that South Korea was experiencing people who had tested positive coming down with the virus "again". There is some question about whether they were actually ill the first time, or whether the tests were inaccurate. But that is irrelevant, people who had previously been tested and were ill with at least some symptoms, have become ill (again) with the Coronavirus.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:22 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

So how are we all doing?

I've been extremely lucky, 2 days off a week and my job's secure. But I appreciate that's not everyone. Here might be a good place to vent if need be!

The only thing I find frustrating is, after finally seeing queues drop, Tesco staff have decided to leave their stock cages lying around... makes social distancing that much tougher :roll:

Oh, and I see more people exercising than ever before, day or night. While it's maybe a wider positive thing longterm, some berk heavy breathing as they pass or nearly running my dogs over can get to [LIFTED]. I'll happily risk catching the virus if someone needs a slap...

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:32 pm
What's a life?

I have taken 2 days holiday, today and tomorrow.

I still have to go to work every day - I work in IT, so I have to be there, to ensure the infrastructure works for those that can do home office and for the production workers (I work for a chemical company that makes resin, additives for paper production and for cosmetics and shampoos).

At the moment, we are still working to capacity, but we are allowed to build up to 50 minus hours, before we need to take holiday. Those that don't have children etc. and can work overtime are encouraged to do so, to help those that have children and cannot arrange cover for them. Once the 50 minus hours have been built up, we have until the end of the year to work them off again, otherwise they will be offset against holiday allowance.

The government is handing out subsidies for companies with problems, especially the smaller companies. The government want to ensure as many of the small to medium companies stay around as possible, as they account for somehting like 75% of the employment in Germany. They are offering to pay up to 80% of the salary costs and cover the equivalent of NI contributions for the employers, for employees who are unable to work. The hope is to avoid an unemployment and economical crisis, when we come out the other end. They have set aside 1.5 billion Euros (nearly 1.5 short scale trillion pounds) to keep the economy going, and that is without the additional 750 milliard Euros the EU is putting up in loans for countries to dip into.

Maskenpflicht (requirement to wear face masks) starts in my local city on Saturday, for the rest of the state on Monday. We've been wearing home-made masks for a week now, when we go shopping. My wife has made enough for 1 for each day, which we then wash at 60°C at the weekend. But I have so far used 2 this week - 1 on Saturday when I went shopping and 1 on Tuesday, when I went out to buy lunch for work for 2 days from the supermarket.

The social distancing and mask wearing is provisionally in place until the end of May, where it will be reviewed as to whether it can be lifted, will remain in place or whether we opened back up too soon and we have to lock back down.

Biontech announced they have developed 5 vaccines and have received approval for human testing. There is a hope that, with accelerated testing, one of the vaccines might make it onto the market in the first half of 2021, but 2022 is probably more realistic - they have been given permission to skip the animal trials. But they still need to go through the 500-test (all healthy), the 1,000-test (including a group of at-risk people) and the several-thousand-test, before they will be allowed to mass produce the vaccine (if it works). Each round of tests takes a few months to complete.

Shops up to 800M² are allowed to re-open (in some states, shops over 800M² are allowed to cordon off 800M² and re-open, in other places not!?!), the reason isn't that bigger shops couldn't come up with a solution to social-distancing inside, but to stop overcrowding in the streets around the stores. I think Electronics stores are also still excluded. You are allowed a maximum of 1 customer per 20M², so an 800M² shop can have a maximum of 40 customers inside at one time.

The child care centre where my wife works is allowed to take on up to 20 children from next week. (5 per room) and 1 carer for each room and a reserve - so that if one carer becomes ill, the other can take over. But, even after over a month of shutdown and being their on a daily basis, the management hadn't even thought about how they could re-open or even tried to organize disinfectant etc. They just assumed that it would all be over at the beginning of May! :evil:

It is still being looked at, as to whether league football can resume in May - Geisterspiele, ghost games, where there are no spectators, but they get the TV-rights money - but a decision will be taken sometime in May, as to whether that can go ahead. Most other leagues (basketball, handball, hockey etc.) have either cancelled their leagues for 2020 or have announced a champion based on the current standings.

There will be no major exhibitions, sporting events or social events until at least August, and Bavaria has already announced that they have cancelled Oktoberfest this year, which brings in around 12 milliard Euros for businesses in the city.

So it looks like we are in this for the long haul.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 am
Profile ICQ
Legend

Just a heads-up, trying to sort the likes of home insurance during this crisis will leave you in Incredible Hulk mode if you're not careful... You can't get through to anyone and, well, ever tried to sort anything online?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm
Legend

Dominic Cummings attended meetings of key scientific group
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52421744

Quote:
A No 10 spokesman said Mr Cummings and Mr Warner had attended or listened in to Sage meetings in order to better understand the scientific debate around coronavirus.

He said they "occasionally" asked questions or offered help when "scientists mention problems in Whitehall", adding that others "also listen to meetings without being on, or a member of, Sage".

"The scientists on Sage are among the most eminent in their fields," the spokesman said. "It is factually wrong and damaging to sensible public debate to imply their advice is affected by government advisers listening to discussions."

He added: "'Public confidence in the media has collapsed during this emergency partly because of ludicrous stories such as this."

Oh, there's definitely a story when you're falsely implying 'fake news', chum.

Who ever heard of a scientific committee where it's members couldn't be named? I mean if they're so eminent... And surely it reports directly?

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 am
Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... r-covid-19

He's stealing unique data like he's done in the past. Make sure you read to the bottom then click the link. Him and Warner shouldn't be anywhere near this data or the advisory group, especially considering their past and links to data mining.

I wouldn't touch that 'contact tracing' app with some heavily sought after PPE. The government has successfully brought the NHS into, not just disrepute, but a wider policy of being used for personal and private gain.

We're going to need a full public inquiry after the crisis. We really are.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-pandemic

Quote:
Ministers were warned last year the UK must have a robust plan to deal with a pandemic virus and its potentially catastrophic social and economic consequences in a confidential Cabinet Office briefing leaked to the Guardian.

The detailed document warned that even a mild pandemic could cost tens of thousands of lives, and set out the must-have “capability requirements” to mitigate the risks to the country, as well as the potential damage of not doing so.

It comes as the UK’s hospital death toll from coronavirus heads towards 20,000. Less than a month ago, the medical director at NHS England, Prof Stephen Powis, said the country would “have done very well” to stay below this grim milestone.

Marked “official, sensitive”, the 2019 National Security Risk Assessment (NSRA) was signed off by Sir Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific adviser, as well as a senior national security adviser to the prime minister whom the Guardian has been asked not to name.

The very man who gave an interview on herd immunity.

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:44 am
Legend

'We did it to ourselves': scientist says intrusion into nature led to pandemic
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ndemic-aoe

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:40 pm
Legend

BBC News - Coronavirus: UK failed to stockpile crucial PPE
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641

In other words, knowing PPE would become a scandal they deliberately downgraded the virus. Plus there are now multiple reports that were ignored advising how to deal with a pandemic, including one signed by Mr Vallance, the chief scientific officer.

That's literally criminal. How many people are dead because of the government? It's already tens, likely hundreds and maybe thousands because of how the virus spreads.

They'll resist a public enquiry saying 'we're trying to bring the economy back!' but it's going to require the public and the press to, rightfully, turn on them. Hell, even the Daily Mail have recently, so you never know.

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I think this is one of those situations where it's very difficult to make good decisions in real time and very easy to be critical with hind sight (one you get more data and have more time to analyise it. .

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Legend

l3v1ck wrote:
I think this is one of those situations where it's very difficult to make good decisions in real time and very easy to be critical with hind sight (one you get more data and have more time to analyise it. .

Very true, and I agree, but giving Covid a new handling label as late as 13/3/20 stinks to high heaven.

And there were any amount of instances long before the virus hit where we didn't follow through on the expert advice we're now apparently beholden to.

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:45 am
Doesn't have much of a life

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52569364

“Some 400,000 surgical gowns ordered from Turkey have not been given to NHS workers because they do not meet British safety standards, the government has confirmed.”

If it wasn’t so tragic, I’d laugh.

* Witty statement goes here *

Thu May 07, 2020 7:02 am
Legend

That's one dick move from Boris. People will assume a month or so makes no difference, bolstered by the usual lower weekend death count. All around here there's more people about than ever and social distancing has absolutely gone out the window in streets and parks. It's especially bad with kids and teenagers.

That's why the devolved regions are all doing their own thing, they have more wit and know how the public will take this opportunity to flout the rules more.

'Stay alert'. What lonely brain cell decided that was a sensible slogan when parks are having to be continually closed because of barbecues and drinking? And that's before you consider unlimited exercise, a fantastic excuse and the government [LIFTED] knows it.

This is more about testing any new transmission rate over any actual thought of process. The folks working in lethal care homes alone could singlehandedly make a nonsense of this announcement.

Sun May 10, 2020 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next