Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
Legend

1917 is incredibly well shot and has serious impact, but logic totally goes out the window in the second act to propel the story along and so I was checking my watch by the third. For a show all about realism that's quite a problem.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:19 pm
What's a life?

Shazam

Finally got round to watching this. Compared to the serious nature of BvS, this was much lighter and in a better way than BvS. There were a few points I’d have preferred more exposition on or at least some tightening up of the script. I felt the pacing could have been a bit better. The third act of the film could have been improved. It felt longer than it should have. I really enjoyed the villain in this one. I haven’t seen Wonder Woman but I did enjoy this film more than BvS or JL.

Solid 4/5

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:43 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Shazam

Finally got round to watching this. Compared to the serious nature of BvS, this was much lighter and in a better way than BvS. There were a few points I’d have preferred more exposition on or at least some tightening up of the script. I felt the pacing could have been a bit better. The third act of the film could have been improved. It felt longer than it should have. I really enjoyed the villain in this one. I haven’t seen Wonder Woman but I did enjoy this film more than BvS or JL.

Solid 4/5

Yup, thought it was good. Only the final battle being clunky (basically because of the books, should have been rejigged) really held it back but it could have been just a little tighter. It's still easily the second best film in the DCU after Wonder Woman (which you should watch!).

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 am
What's a life?

The Batman

Very good but long. Very long. I was gripped right the way through the first, second, and third acts. But by the fourth, I was bored. My attention span has suffered because of the likes of social media but I struggled to get through the last bit. Story telling was excellent. Cinematography for the most part was very good.

4/5 - if only it had been shorter, I'd have given it 5/5.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:27 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
The Batman

Very good but long. Very long. I was gripped right the way through the first, second, and third acts. But by the fourth, I was bored. My attention span has suffered because of the likes of social media but I struggled to get through the last bit. Story telling was excellent. Cinematography for the most part was very good.

4/5 - if only it had been shorter, I'd have given it 5/5.

Surprisingly good, I thought. I don't know how much of that is me wanting Bats to be an actual detective for the longest time, but considering they changed up the Riddler for no real reason and Robert is a good Batman but a godawful Bruce Wayne, they still pulled it off. And I could watch Penguin all day. He's like a really funny Tony Soprano.

But yeah, that ending was tacked on, felt like a studio decision to give options for the future.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Legend

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

Weird one this, the first 40 minutes are a cure for insomnia and once again they couldn't be bothered writing a proper script for the youngster's first appearance (just like Spidey). Poor Ms Gomez is just given nothing to work with. Arguably Wanda is the only one in the entire movie with decent dialogue.

And yet it really picks up in the second half even if it still has issues (powers are conveniently forgotten about for drama). More of the character of the characters shines through even if Disney still can't resist the urge to make the men the slapstick just so the women can shine (countless times the blokes have to be rescued here, one way or another).

It's one of the slightly better Marvel efforts recently but that isn't saying much, is it? Even the credits scenes are weak. The insistence of waving the woke flag at the expense of the overall movie really needs to stop.

Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:33 am
Official forum cat lady

Dog

That's all

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147