Reply to topic  [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332  Next
Random $h!t Thread - Part VI 
What's a life?

Yes, still up for beta reading.

Drop me a PM.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:07 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
Yes, still up for beta reading.

Drop me a PM.

Fantastic!

Well, the good news is that I have now finished the first draft. I started the SPAG checking last night, and should complete that by, or over the weekend. There are a couple of points where I might add a little more atmospheric detail, but the story itself is done, and I should be ready to send you a PDF early next week.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Profile WWW

The first round of SPAG checking is complete, and I have sent the first draft out to my fantastic beta readers. I think I'll start from the beginning and have a proper read through, to see if I can spot any more errors, while I'm waiting for feedback.

:)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:10 am
Profile WWW

Having received some awesome feedback from the beta team, I've got some more writing to do.

I'm sure that there was a time when I would have not been as welcoming to anything other than totally positive feedback, but the quality of the points which have been made has really inspired me.

I really like this writing lark! lol

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I remember in my early 20s when I tried to write a fanfic. I got up to a reasonable point but I ran out of enthusiasm for it. I came across the papers (I would write things out on paper before typing it up) and chucked them. Having read a few more books in that time, I don't think the story was worthy of being published, even just online. I can visualise the story in my head. It's transferring it across into the written word where I become unstuck.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I remember in my early 20s when I tried to write a fanfic. I got up to a reasonable point but I ran out of enthusiasm for it. I came across the papers (I would write things out on paper before typing it up) and chucked them. Having read a few more books in that time, I don't think the story was worthy of being published, even just online. I can visualise the story in my head. It's transferring it across into the written word where I become unstuck.

This is my first attempt at writing fiction, having limited my writing to technical literature, such as instruction manuals and how-to guides.

I'm sure that, in the last ten years, I must have mentioned the fact that I left school with no qualification in English, (I wasn't even entered for the exam) and as far as first attempts go, it isn't half bad!

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
I'm sure that, in the last ten years, I must have mentioned the fact that I left school with no qualification in English, (I wasn't even entered for the exam) and as far as first attempts go, it isn't half bad!

I don't think a qualification in English is essential (might help with SPAG) but more that you have a good idea and an enthusiasm for writing it out. Looking back, my enthusiasm was really just the novelty of writing a fanfic. I'd read a lot back then but I've since realised I really have no desire to write a book. IMO, just like some people are naturally good at art (and others practice to become good), I think some people are naturally good at writing, and others can become good by lots of practice. I fall into neither category.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 am
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
This is my first attempt at writing fiction, having limited my writing to technical literature, such as instruction manuals and how-to guides.

It is very good. I really enjoyed reading it. It is a real page turner. The style is fun and easy to read. It isn't Frank Herbert or Peter F. Hamilton, but it is certainly a big step up from a lot of stuff I've read lately. (And I find Peter F. Hamilton too long winded, it was certainly easier to read John's work and he keeps your attention better).

I bought "the Girl with the Lightning Mind" earlier this year. It got recommended somewhere, and I fell for it. It was written by a guy with 4 degrees who teaches at 3 universities... It wasn't good enough to use to wrap your chips in! It certainly wasn't worth the money. On the other hand, I'd definitely pay for a copy of John's book. It just shows, you don't need exams or degrees to show how good a writer you are.

Keep up the good work John!

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

It is very good. I really enjoyed reading it. It is a real page turner. The style is fun and easy to read. It isn't Frank Herbert or Peter F. Hamilton, but it is certainly a big step up from a lot of stuff I've read lately. (And I find Peter F. Hamilton too long winded, it was certainly easier to read John's work and he keeps your attention better).

I bought "the Girl with the Lightning Mind" earlier this year. It got recommended somewhere, and I fell for it. It was written by a guy with 4 degrees who teaches at 3 universities... It wasn't good enough to use to wrap your chips in! It certainly wasn't worth the money. On the other hand, I'd definitely pay for a copy of John's book. It just shows, you don't need exams or degrees to show how good a writer you are.

Keep up the good work John!

Thanks! :D

I was talking to someone today, and it turns out he knows a publisher who might be interested, so he's going to set up a meeting, once the guy gets back from his holidays.

Ooh, this is getting exciting! lol

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I'll cross my fingers that it goes well, well over here it is "press my thumbs" (Daumen drücken), crossing fingers is only used it you a lying.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:51 am
Profile ICQ

This one's probably only of interest to Ernie … Def Leppard in Funko Pop format

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
This one's probably only of interest to Ernie … Def Leppard in Funko Pop format

Mark

Cheers, I really want these to do well but they could be almost anyone! The Queen ones had the same issue.

I'd have preferred a later look to these just to make them more distinguished. Hopefully we'll see it. Funko usually gets it - I have loads of the Rock Pops lol. Freddy/Queen, The Police, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop, Billy Idol, Prince, AC/DC Angus... awaiting Rob Zombie and dying to see what the Stones look like!

I could name at least 20 I wanna see too :oops:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Does anyone here know anything about home heating/hot water systems?
How can you tell the difference between a system that is unvented vs. vented?
Is it purely just the inlet from the mains = unvented?
I'm trying to determine if a house has one or the other.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

timark_uk wrote:
Does anyone here know anything about home heating/hot water systems?
How can you tell the difference between a system that is unvented vs. vented?
Is it purely just the inlet from the mains = unvented?
I'm trying to determine if a house has one or the other.

Mark

a vented system will have a boiler normally gas which will be vented to the outside of the wall the boiler is fitted on.

a unvented system is normally an electric water heater or water storage tank where no venting is required ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:44 pm
What's a life?

Finally got round to getting some new hard drives for the laptop. It shipped with a single 500GB drive. I later added a 750GB drive.

Now the main drive is a 1TB SSD and the second drive is a 2TB drive. I'm hoping to get my Diskstation up and running some time this year with a UPS attached so it can run back ups.

Also installed Windows 10. What a pain.

I'll need to spend some time going through all my files that I've backed up to see if there's anything worth keeping too.

Sun May 10, 2020 2:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4975 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332  Next