Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
What's a life?

This is an official leave campaign poster from the referendum..

Note the final clause of the final pledge - "we will negotiate the terms of a new deal before we start any legal process to leave".

Brutal truth - we are not currently getting what those who voted for leaving in the referendum voted for. None of it. What we are getting is what a bunch of opportunist Conservatives want and they are feeding it to the rest of us under the guise of the referendum.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:22 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Saw this and thought of you all…

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit- ... er-7399226

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:00 pm
What's a life?

The MOST fabulous point is that they haven't 'blocked brexit' at all. Brexit will still happen, just now parliament gets to vote on when Article 50 is triggered and gets oversight the negotiation process, rather than leaving is all to Liam 'what expenses?' Fox.

In other words, the judges simply stated that the fundamental British democratic process, which the leave campaign have spent the last 40 years banging about the sanctity of, applies to them as much as everyone else. And they're having an enormous strop about it. I can't think of a better example of massive and blatant hypocrisy.

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:41 pm
Spends far too much time on here

jonbwfc wrote:
The MOST fabulous point is that they haven't 'blocked brexit' at all. Brexit will still happen, just now parliament gets to vote on when Article 50 is triggered and gets oversight the negotiation process, rather than leaving is all to Liam 'what expenses?' Fox.

In other words, the judges simply stated that the fundamental British democratic process, which the leave campaign have spent the last 40 years banging about the sanctity of, applies to them as much as everyone else. And they're having an enormous strop about it. I can't think of a better example of massive and blatant hypocrisy.

make you right on that one. i cant argue for supremacy of Parliament and the British courts over and above the EU and in the next breath state that the British courts are wrong and have no right to decide on points of law.

thats why i said i would wait and watch as events unfolded ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:07 pm

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/ ... 4070743040

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

Now this is a considerably more interesting development:

Crown prosecutors consider complaint against Brexit EU referendum campaigns
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 03161.html

All in relation to issues with the raft of misleading or downright false information that the Leave campaign publicised.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

You know, even as a remainer, I'm inclined to say that what's done is done and the prospect of possibly years of legal wranglings about whether the referendum was valid or not fills me with dread.

The bare fact is this : THE REFERENDUM RESULT IS NOT MANDATORY. That means Brexit is happening not because the referendum requires it to, but because the government wishes it to. Parliament has the right to say "OK, you said you want this but we have a representative democracy and as your representatives we think this is a bad idea so we're going to 'be your better judgement' in this case". Parliament is the parent who could tell us we can't have the cake we want because it would make us ill. We are having Brexit to a ludicrous unachievable timetable because there is a clique inside the conservative party who want 'Brexit now and at any cost' - or 'Brexit now and at any cost because we personally won't have to pay it anyway' more accurately.

The people to blame for the already present effects of Brexit and any future effects are not the people of Britain who voted for it, nor actually even the people who decided to hold the referendum (although they were, frankly, fools) it is the members of the current government who are intent to push it through as quickly as possible regardless of the pain or misery that may cause. They are the ones with their foot on the gas pedal, they are the ones who could choose the longer, safer path but are not doing. Also the media who are supporting them and vilifying anyone who advocates a more considered approach.

Make no mistake, the damage Brexit does is on Theresa May's head, not David Cameron's.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:40 pm

I think the whole of Parliament deserves a certain collective responsibility for the fact that they settled on such a vague and nebulous referendum question. The differences between the various options are huge. This means that the Government cannot even claim a clear mandate for whichever interpretation of Brexit they chose. It also meant that Leave could campaign on the plus sides of each possible variation whilst ignoring the downsides (e.g. maintaining we'd have control of borders and access to the single market).

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

True but at least now parliament will have to approve whatever deal gets offered, assuming the appeal fails. that'll be an interesting day in the house...

BTW, I have to stand up for Steve a bit. He didn't just pick Trump in a sweepstake the day before the election, he's consistently said a) Leave would win and b) Trump would get elected and he's said it for months. He deserves credit for getting these things right. I'm not sure if it was acute political insight or staunch belief in a position that brought him to them, but whatever he thought, apparently lots of other people thought too. Simply dismissing that doesn't get any of us anywhere further on.

Jon

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 am

jonbwfc wrote:
True but at least now parliament will have to approve whatever deal gets offered, assuming the appeal fails. that'll be an interesting day in the house...

BTW, I have to stand up for Steve a bit. He didn't just pick Trump in a sweepstake the day before the election, he's consistently said a) Leave would win and b) Trump would get elected and he's said it for months. He deserves credit for getting these things right. I'm not sure if it was acute political insight or staunch belief in a position that brought him to them, but whatever he thought, apparently lots of other people thought too. Simply dismissing that doesn't get any of us anywhere further on.

Jon

i thank you for the compliment. the remain camp and the leave camp will just have to get over the referendum.

but some food for thought, one word NAFTA.

we are going to join NAFTA which already has a trade agreement with the EU under WTO. therefore we do not need in any way shape or form to negotiate with the EU.
just some information, nothing more nothing less. it also maybe worth while doing some research especially on who may become the secretary of state in the USA ...

ps. i do know that NAFTA is under going change ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:08 am
Official forum cat lady

Leaked memo reveals government Brexit plans in detail

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:07 pm
What's a life?

Quote:
Theresa May dealt fresh blow as Supreme Court judge signals major delay on starting Brexit
A Supreme Court judge has suggested “comprehensive” legislation may be required to trigger Brexit, potentially delaying the move for two years.

In a dramatic intervention, Lady Brenda Hale said a “simple Act of Parliament” may not be sufficient to start the process, arguing replacement of the 1972 Act that took Britain into the EU in the first place may be needed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18986.html

There’s at least 40 years worth of stuff to unpick.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:14 pm
Legend

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38034411

Hope the judges land every legal punch they can.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:18 pm
Legend

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38037119

Yeah, because you lot were so on the ball last time a decision was made.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:00 pm
Legend

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/eu ... id=DELLDHP

The most obvious thing to do is let Britain go without a fuss. We couldn't/can't negotiate our way out of a wet paper bag, so why hype something WE'LL help cover up out of embarrassment. Getting all authoritarian is exactly what got the EU into the mess it's in. The perception of a liberal, ignorant elite has failed two major tests in a year; if the EU contains to throw it's weight around those on the fence will start to listen to the dodgy car salesmen who have appeared in recent years.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 62  Next