Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Did you like the way that the main escapees were trying evade capture yet wandered about the flat, open landscape in broad daylight most of the time? :) ;)

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:48 pm
Legend

Paul1965 wrote:
Did you like the way that the main escapees were trying evade capture yet wandered about the flat, open landscape in broad daylight most of the time? :) ;)

Tbf, everyone knows Yank soldiers are a bit rubbish :lol:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:54 pm

pcernie wrote:
Tbf, everyone knows Yank soldiers are a bit rubbish :lol:

Yes; they'd never have caught Raoul Moat.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:56 pm

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

It seems a bit odd to write anything about this Swedish film, the first in a trilogy, when big_D has reviewed the third, but just thought I'd drop in a quick mention as this film has just been released on DVD. I may be the only person who hasn't read Steig Larsson's novel so although I can't say anything about differences from the book, my other half has and said it was about as good an adaptation as you could get. The story concerns a journalist's investigation into the disappearance of a girl 40 years ago. He's assisted by über-hacker Lizabeth Salander, the girl of the title, who is the film's most interesting character.

I think that because of the hype around both the trilogy and the film I was expecting something more extraordinary, yet when the 'Swedishness' is removed from the equation it is the sort of thing you've probably seen before. It is well put together and directed but towards the end does feel every bit of its 152 minute running time. It is undoubtedly atmospheric, unpleasant in places and, as big_D mentioned, benefits from not being directed in a fast, flashy style. Noomi Rapace is excellent, giving a performance of real depth as Salander.

Well worth a look whether you've read the book or not; I'd certainly see the next two films, the Hollywood remake will probably be much more run of the mill so try the Swedish original first.

7.5 out of 10

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:29 pm

I've just seen Drunken Master and Drunken Master II and I can report that I now have a serious contender for my 'best ever sequel' film list (if I actually had a list like that).
An utterly, utterly brilliant film in it's own right, but when viewed alongside it's original it's even better.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

timark_uk wrote:
I've just seen Drunken Master and Drunken Master II and I can report that I now have a serious contender for my 'best ever sequel' film list (if I actually had a list like that).
An utterly, utterly brilliant film in it's own right, but when viewed alongside it's original it's even better.

Mark

Couldn't agree more. Drunken Master 2 is a masterpiece, especially the end fight in a factory where Jackie Chan scrambles about over a bed of red hot coals. I'd advise anyone who is interested to try and see Drunken Master 2 in a Cantonese Print with subtitles as the US version, retitled 'Legend of Drunken Master,' not only has English dubbing but has had certain elements of the ending removed to please Disney's family-oriented viewpoint.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:02 pm
What's a life?

Paul1965 wrote:
I'd advise anyone who is interested to try and see Drunken Master 2 in a Cantonese Print with subtitles as the US version, retitled 'Legend of Drunken Master,' not only has English dubbing but has had certain elements of the ending removed to please Disney's family-oriented viewpoint.

Any Jackie Chan movie in English is a huge, vast shipment of fail.
The original prints are the best way to go - as an aside, I had a pipe dream in Uni of launching a 24hr Jackie Chan movie channel, called the Jackie Chan-nel.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Any chance of doing it now?! It would make paying for the license fee worthwhile. I could quite happily sit through Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, Police Story, Armour of God etc, etc. 8-) ;)

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:18 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Has anyone seen the new Shrek yet?
Is it worth seeing?

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:35 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Get him to the Greek

7/10

It is what it is, stupid but funny. I enjoyed it, particularly for the parts when Jonah Hill attempts an English accent.

Read many reviews saying that it attempts to show the dark side of drug use, didn't think it did this tbh.

After seeing the advert you're probably going to know if this is for you - if you're not sure; see it anyway, it'll be worth it.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:41 am
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Is it worth seeing?

I liked it. I didnt really enjoy the third one but for me this one is back on form IMO.

3D was alright too. It wasnt so much 'look while we make this pop out at your face' which was nice.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:39 am
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Is it worth seeing?

yes I saw it on Saturday.
Yet another bad use of 3D to get cash out of the punters. The story is relativly weak and rushed which left me feeling there could of been another 30 minutes added to make it fufilling.

The weakest of the four and thankfully the last in the series.. hopefully.

1.5/5

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am
What's a life?

Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I've just taken my 14 yr old niece to see this film.
Before you go, ask yourself the following question:
Am I a 14 yr old girl, who's read the books, and seen the previous 2 films?

If the answer is yes, then please, carry on and enjoy your film.

If the answer is no, may I suggest seeking an alternative film to view.

Oh, and on a technical level, there were quite a few scenes that I was sat thinking 'that focus is soft; this is the best take?'

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 pm

ProfessorF wrote:
If the answer is no, may I suggest seeking an alternative film to view.
Oli may want to respond to this. (8+)
I was just watching Chin gei bin (The Twins Effect) and a mate commented that he wondered if Twilight was like it.
I responded by saying that if Twilight was like what we were watching I'd definitely make a point of seeing it.
I'm under no illusion that Twilight is anything like Chin gei bin.
Tomorrow I think we plan on watching Chin gei bin 2.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

Triangle

This 2009 film from Christopher Smith (Creep, Severance) concerns a woman called Jess who joins some friends for a day's sailing. Problems arise when the yacht is capsized in a storm but salvation appears in the form of a ocean liner. Once aboard however, they discover that the apparently deserted ship has at least one inhabitant intent on hunting them down.

I'm trying not to give much away about this film even though the synopsis above makes it sound very run of the mill. It's one of those films where a series of confusing events only begin to make sense later on as you see certain situations from different viewpoints and get another take on things. It's as much a thriller as outright horror and the film benefits from a strong performance from Melissa George as Jess who conveys the confusion and fear of someone who is caught up in events that she feels she might survive if only she could figure things out.

I enjoyed this film, Chris Smith has a good track record and clearly knows the horror genre inside out. If you're interested in the film, I'd watch it without looking at any detailed reviews (other than ratings) as most of them give too much away.

7.5 out of 10

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 147  Next