Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Toslink Cables 
Doesn't have much of a life

I'm in the process of moving my iTunes server over from my very ancient PowerMac G4 500 to a much new MacPro.

The old Mac connects to my HiFi amp using SPDIF from an M-Audio PCI card. I was hoping to use the optical Toslink connection on my MacPro. However the normal maximum length appears to be 10m. The cable run distance between the Mac and the HiFi amp is approximately 12m. Reading up it appears that I can use longer cables provided that the devices and the cable support it.

So does anyone know if the optical outputs on the MacPro (2006 model) and the inputs on my amp (Denon AVR 2805) will support longer than 10m Toslink and if so can you recommend me a suitable 12-15m cable.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

An optical cable is an optical cable at the end of the day, even at the theoretical length limit you are unlikely to hear any significant differences between them. The other option you might consider is a Squeezebox or similar, as then the cable length is irrelevant.

Edit: Seen as a 15m Toslink can be had for about £7, I'd suggest taking a punt and seeing:

http://www.cmfcables.co.uk/15m-toslink- ... 2229-p.asp

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks.

From what I was reading it appears it's more down to the power of the light on the transmitting end and the sensitivity of the receivers at the other.

I guess I'll give it a go...

Edit: I had a look at Squeezebox and couldn't work out what it actually was - which actual Squeezebox product do I use to connect my Mac to my HiFi amp?

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Airplay it from the mac to an appleTV? They support optical.
Or an Airport would do it (but not optical I'm afraid, just RCA)

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:50 pm
Profile WWW

saspro wrote:
Airplay it from the mac to an appleTV? They support optical.
Or an Airport would do it (but not optical I'm afraid, just RCA)

Why AppleTV? Basically all I want to do is play uncompressed audio on my Mac in iTunes through my HiFi.

The Mac has an optical output built in and the HiFi amp has optical inputs. I was hoping that someone here might have some first-hand experience with Toslink cables longer than 10m...

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

BigRedX wrote:
From what I was reading it appears it's more down to the power of the light on the transmitting end and the sensitivity of the receivers at the other.

I guess I'll give it a go...

From what I've read, that's correct. It's only a low bandwidth and it's unidirectional so your only concern should be power loss and sensitivity.

The one Jon links to describes itself as "high quality" and for that price surely worth a try.

When you're feeling too silly for x404, youRwired.net

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

The Squeezebox is a wireless streamer, so connects to your amp (or DAC) and can pull music from any hard drive on your network that you allow it access to.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:50 am
Profile WWW

Unfortunately further investigation into Squeezebox reveals that the whole product line was discontinued 6 months ago. While it's still available to buy, I'm not really interested in buying high-tech gear that is already obsolete.

I think I'll invest in the cable from the link posted and see hoe it goes.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonlumb wrote:
you are unlikely to hear any significant differences between them.

I don't think that's stating it strongly enough, it's theoretically impossible you will hear any difference between optical cables, and this has been supported by double blind tests with some of the world's leading hi fi reviewers, digital signals are digital signals, as long as the data is reaching the other end you're sorted.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]