Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Should gay roles go to straight actors? 
Legend

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/j ... dApp_Other

Just me thinking that's an unnecessary can of worms?

I care if the acting is good and the movie is paced well. That's it. I don't sit there wondering what the actor is about IRL.

And Hollywood has it's own angle. Hanks' name determines the budget, potential market value and potentially whether the movie gets greenlit or not!

I get the whole representation thing, but who realistically insists you must be X, Y, and Z to play a role? Twitter? Faux SJWs on Twitter? It would be never-ending grief, sideways sexism and discrimination accusations, your main audience gets polarised and any message you were sending is lost anyway.

Is it just me? Feels like posing.

Though if this is how we're playing it, I'm owed a small fortune for all the times I've been duped by Tom Hanks ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:55 pm
What's a life?

I think when the whole LGBTQ+ was marginal, it would have been appropriate for a gay actor to play a gay role as positively promoting LBGTQ+. Given how "woke" everyone has become, it shouldn't matter any more. Being LGBTQ+ is no longer stigmatised or taboo as it once was.

IMO along similar lines: blackface was wrong, and we are told that a white man cannot play the role of a black (or other non-White) person. Is it wrong for a black man to play the role of a white man (thinking along the lines of Idris Elba and James Bond)?

I find it odd that that anyone can represent/play anyone unless they happen to be white, male, and heterosexual.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:25 pm
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I think when the whole LGBTQ+ was marginal, it would have been appropriate for a gay actor to play a gay role as positively promoting LBGTQ+. Given how "woke" everyone has become, it shouldn't matter any more. Being LGBTQ+ is no longer stigmatised or taboo as it once was.

IMO along similar lines: blackface was wrong, and we are told that a white man cannot play the role of a black (or other non-White) person. Is it wrong for a black man to play the role of a white man (thinking along the lines of Idris Elba and James Bond)?

I find it odd that that anyone can represent/play anyone unless they happen to be white, male, and heterosexual.

This is it, Hollywood seems to want an angle to sell the same old stuff and currently that angle is a fight already largely won!

But it's not just them, 'woke' has become something of an ideology to the extent it's created a massive backlash (and devious politicians are joining in). When anti-woke commentary channels on YouTube are getting millions of views per video and you've sank (or tried to) countless cultural touchstones, it's probably safe to assume people aren't buying in the way you'd want.

A case of 'just the songs please, Bono' writ large. The people insisting on this weak thinking are having the exact opposite effect in reality.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:04 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

It's a whole can of worms isn't it. No matter what your comment is you run the risk of offending someone. Acting's most significant aspect is pretending to be someone you're not, so if an actor pretends to be straight or gay, does it matter what their sexuality is in reality?

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]