Reply to topic  [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next
Forum Film Reviews & Recommendations 
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Avengers: Endgame

Finally watched this. SWMBO had been busy with work so hadn't had time to go watch it. When we did, only two cinemas had two screenings a day. Despite that, the cinema was 50% packed.

It continues where Infinity War left. Whilst it had some good moments, some "comic book" moments, and some quiet and reflective moments, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The battle had fleeting moments of seeing what everyone was doing, it was far too short IMO, and the climax was disappointing.

The film had a 3 hour run time but even then there were bits that could have been cut out to improve the pacing. It does tie up a lot of stuff from previous film, as well as nods to previous Marvel films. I gave Infinity War 4/5 and, on that basis, I'd give Endgame 3.5/5.

I'd need to watch it again, but having to tie up some actors' contracts probably gave it a lot of wobbles. Crowbarring in quasi-political moments needs to stop too. Just embarrassing. Stan Lee oversaw that better with a few panels in the 60s!

I quite liked it what it did, but it's hardly explosive. And that's a problem with a movie called Endgame that ties off a decade+ of movies.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:52 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:
Avengers: Endgame

Finally watched this. SWMBO had been busy with work so hadn't had time to go watch it. When we did, only two cinemas had two screenings a day. Despite that, the cinema was 50% packed.

It continues where Infinity War left. Whilst it had some good moments, some "comic book" moments, and some quiet and reflective moments, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The battle had fleeting moments of seeing what everyone was doing, it was far too short IMO, and the climax was disappointing.

The film had a 3 hour run time but even then there were bits that could have been cut out to improve the pacing. It does tie up a lot of stuff from previous film, as well as nods to previous Marvel films. I gave Infinity War 4/5 and, on that basis, I'd give Endgame 3.5/5.

I'd need to watch it again, but having to tie up some actors' contracts probably gave it a lot of wobbles. Crowbarring in quasi-political moments needs to stop too. Just embarrassing. Stan Lee oversaw that better with a few panels in the 60s!

I quite liked it what it did, but it's hardly explosive. And that's a problem with a movie called Endgame that ties off a decade+ of movies.

+1 - we watched the 1st instalment on Saturday and then went and saw End Game on Sunday - I think 1 3/5 is about right - I think that I was not really moved when people died just shows that it missed the mark

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:04 am
Legend

Spider-Man - Far From Home - Superior in every way to crappy Homecoming. Great action, CGI, and now a decent script.

No point in me blathering on about it, this is one of the top movies of the year. See it before some dick ruins the surprises.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl

I should have learned my lesson with these japanese movies by now. The poster is usually better than the movie - as in Tokyo Gore Police, Machine Girl, etc - which is like a children's pantomime with spraying blood. It was ridiculous and not in a good way.

2 out of 10

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 pm

Pokemon Detective Pikachu

If you were ever interested in the anime show, there's some fun to be had in seeing updated 'realistic' CGI Pokemon in this live-action version, but the story is somewhat confusing and not that good. An awful lot of money must have been spent on the effects so surely they could have had better writers and better actors. It's not all bad, but it's not great either.

4 out of 10

Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:59 am
Legend

Avoid the new Rambo, it just has nothing going for it unless you REALLY like gore with your disappointment.

A lot of people didn't like the last one (I thought it was fine), and this is even further away from what anyone normal considers a Rambo movie :lol:

It's actually unintentionally funny and can be best summed up as

1 part rubbish Taken
1 part brutal Home Alone
A fcuking good dollop of the sort of violence you see in Hostel and utter sh1t like that

It'll likely be on Netflix in record time.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:50 pm
Legend

Joker - It's a character study that only really gets traction in the final ten minutes. The rest is a bit of a slog despite Phoenix playing the role well.

If you're wondering, it's got very little to do with the wider mythos and he doesn't become some maniacal terrorist. It's a descent into madness sorta film and, frankly, nobody's idea of a fun time. It just about held my attention and clearly didn't really work for the few people who were in the screening.

All it needed was a little dark humour to help it along - I actually considered walking out half an hour in! I'm glad I didn't, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

Word to the wise, the end is about the only bit worth discussing in conversation... so try to avoid that ;) (and there's no credits sequence)

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 pm
What's a life?

Joker

pcernie wrote:
Joker - It's a character study that only really gets traction in the final ten minutes. The rest is a bit of a slog despite Phoenix playing the role well.

Swmbo surprised me by taking me out to watch this, even though it isn't her cup of tea. It really is a slow film for the majority of it but I absolutely enjoyed it. More than Justice League. More than BvS. Definitely more than MoS. Phoenix played the role amazingly well. I could see some of the references and where it draws some of the material from (I think Killing Joke).

* * * S P O I L E R S * * *

I like to think this is the real Joker but the huge age difference between him and Bruce Wayne bothers me. I loved the tie-in with Keaton's Batman and the death of Bruce's parents. But ultimately, in another 20 years, Bruce would be Batman, and Joker would be running around with a Zimmer frame.

* * * E N D O F S P O I L E R S * * *

I think the writing could have been a bit tighter but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it to the point of looking at buying it on UHD Blu-Ray. Which means I now have to buy a UHD blu ray player.

5/5

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:05 am
Legend

What you're saying in the spoilers there, if it is where they take it, has been a continual problem recently!

I just wish it had been funnier, I'd have been right behind it then. That was all it needed IMO. Well, that and a little less wanting to be old DeNiro movies...

Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:50 am
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
I just wish it had been funnier, I'd have been right behind it then.

I did see parts of it as a dark comedy. Swmbo was very surprised about me seeing it as that.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:06 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
pcernie wrote:
I just wish it had been funnier, I'd have been right behind it then.

I did see parts of it as a dark comedy. Swmbo was very surprised about me seeing it as that.

Definitely is in places but very fleeting. I'd have appreciated more of his character appearing as things got crazy.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
I'd have appreciated more of his character appearing as things got crazy.

Oh I completely agree with that.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Very good! It answers pretty much every question I had, and there were some cool cameos.

I won't say anything else, for fear of giving spoilers, but I will go and see it again, as Karen couldn't make it this time, due to illness.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

I'm surprisingly taken in by that Call of the Wild trailer :?

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:57 pm
Legend

Sonic the movie might not be the best film ever, but it's one of the better ones I've seen in months.

Genuinely funny when even suffering from the usual dip in the middle, the CGI is great for once, and it's great to see Carey back on form.

Stay for the mid-credits sequence!

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147  Next