Reply to topic  [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334  Next
The Ranting (or Venting) Thread. 
What's a life?

Server migration. IT bods were in last week to migrate us from using a local on-site server to one based 20 miles away. No idea why other than it was all in the name of "progression". I thought it was about control. IT bods came and gave everyone individual usernames and passwords. Except they didn't tell any of the staff so they had no idea how to log on and were using their old passwords. Nor did they migrate any of the other software so nothing else worked. Plus they locked everything down so some peripheral devices wouldn't work either - again, all about control. I normally use portable firefox on a USB drive. No idea how long that will last.

The best thing? All other local practices will be connected in the same way. No hardware upgrades (the PCs are already struggling with so many programs). No network upgrades (we have 25 computers and if they're all used at the same time, everything grinds down to a halt). Support is sparse (manager is having to rant and rave to get any attention).

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:42 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Bloody rental companies:
19/9/19 - booked a van to pickup from East Midlands airport 28/1/20 at 13:00

28/1/20 10:30 - phone call from them to say i can't have a van as they haven't rented vans from there since October.
Two and a half [LIFTED] hours notice!!! How I didn't swear at them is beyond me

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

January fitness w@nkers need backhanded into February. Which will see off most of them.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 pm
Legend

I had to order reflective tape for my 3 foot tall, green parcel box with the red parcels sign above it that delivery drivers keep missing - the tape was promptly left at my front door... It's on now so we'll see if they notice something shiny, the daft gits.

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:58 pm
What's a life?

pcernie wrote:
January fitness w@nkers need backhanded into February. Which will see off most of them.

This is why, traditionally, I take January off from the gym. It's busy because of the newbies (whom I have nothing against) but they will lack gym etiquette, and the regulars who attend with renewed vigour. All in all, it makes for a busy gym where I can't do the workouts I want because pretty much all of the equipment is in use.

I already headed back last week and midweek was a lot busier than normal.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:42 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
pcernie wrote:

This is why, traditionally, I take January off from the gym. It's busy because of the newbies (whom I have nothing against) but they will lack gym etiquette, and the regulars who attend with renewed vigour. All in all, it makes for a busy gym where I can't do the workouts I want because pretty much all of the equipment is in use.

I already headed back last week and midweek was a lot busier than normal.

With me I'm out with the dogs and it's just wall to wall runners with no clue what they're doing. They're all over the place, knackering themselves too early, and so on. I wouldn't really mind but it's often late at night FFS.

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
Legend

A standard Transformers figure arrived today in a box over a foot square, bound with plastic baling and filled with air bags.

Apart from the total waste, I have to cut/rip it all to recycle it while someone makes a nice profit for my trouble...

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 pm
What's a life?

Grrr! I really hate Windows sometimes!

I'm moving user profiles over to a new partition. Same naming, just a different location.

One user's directories won't copy, because the paths and filenames are too long to be read! How the hell can they be too long? How did Windows write them in the first place, if they are too damned long?!?!?

I'm now having to go through nearly 1,900 folders and 11,000 files to manually find the around 350 missing files, rename them to something that will fit on the disk, then manually copy them to the new partition. I've been at it for 4 hours and I only have around 170 files left to find!

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:59 pm
Profile ICQ
Legend

A guy on eBay thinks I'm gonna give him my bank account number and sort code for a refund...

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:02 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

pcernie wrote:
A guy on eBay thinks I'm gonna give him my bank account number and sort code for a refund...

along with a photocopy of your passport :D

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am
Legend

There just isn't an internet provider that doesn't need their HQ blown up, is there?

I've been with damn near all of them and they're flakier than Cadburys.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 pm
Legend

Got a new oil tank fitted months ago.

Yesterday the installer finally showed up looking payment. Funnily enough I'd put his money back in the bank after the second month. Asked him where he'd been, no answer, looked sheepish.

Told him he'd have to wait a few days because of my bank's limit on daily ATM withdrawals and that I'd call him (my nearest branch is in town, miles away, and I'm not being out travel money for his sake). Realised I could get his account details and send him the money directly, without wasting my own bloody time, so I texted him. Still no reply.

How much money is he making that he doesn't have to chase up hundreds? That might be the difference in him not wanting it going into his account directly ;) , we'll see...

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 pm

pcernie wrote:
How much did this cost? You can DM me the answer if you don't wanna put it on open forum.
This might have to be done in a new house so it's not just idle curiosity.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

timark_uk wrote:
pcernie wrote:
How much did this cost? You can DM me the answer if you don't wanna put it on open forum.
This might have to be done in a new house so it's not just idle curiosity.

Mark

Not sure on just the tank itself, but £800 for it, transferring the oil into it, and installing it on a concrete plinth that was made.

And he still hasn't got back to me about his money!

Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:44 pm
Legend

Fcuk me, I think it's time to tolerate Firefox again... All the sites I use these days have the worst ads- auto-playing videos on every page, Google ads that scroll with you and take ages to disappear when you X them, big chunky site sponsors... Urgh.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 4996 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334  Next