Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Microsoft violates GDPR 
What's a life?

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten ... oft-office

The Dutch government ordered an assessment of Microsoft Office and its data leaking. It turns out that Office can send data back to Micrisoft on up to 25,000 different events. The information can include sentences for translation (the actual sentence and the one before it and the one after it), email meta data, including the SID (unique identifier in the Active Directory) and the subject line of the email, which can include PII, for instance "RE: Disciplinary action against Joe Bloggs".

After negotiations, Microsoft have agreed to release a compliant version of Office by April 2019. If they delay or the Dutch government feel they aren't responding quickly enough, they will pass it on to the DPO, who will consider other sanctions, inducling fines of up to 4% of Microsoft's global turnover.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:13 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten/rapporten/2018/11/07/data-protection-impact-assessment-op-microsoft-office

The Dutch government ordered an assessment of Microsoft Office and its data leaking. It turns out that Office can send data back to Micrisoft on up to 25,000 different events. The information can include sentences for translation (the actual sentence and the one before it and the one after it), email meta data, including the SID (unique identifier in the Active Directory) and the subject line of the email, which can include PII, for instance "RE: Disciplinary action against Joe Bloggs".

After negotiations, Microsoft have agreed to release a compliant version of Office by April 2019. If they delay or the Dutch government feel they aren't responding quickly enough, they will pass it on to the DPO, who will consider other sanctions, inducling fines of up to 4% of Microsoft's global turnover.

Can’t help thinking that they’re all at it in some form or another. I’m not keen on the idea that Amazon smart speakers have appeared in my wife’s school. Cool that they are, I wonder how much is leaking. I expect that they’ve checked that they are safe for use in a school (noting that the school is protected by a pretty over zealous firewall run by the LEA), but without a proper audit of what[s being sent where, you really can”t be 100% certain.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:52 am
What's a life?

Over here it would be illegal to use them in schools. You cannot use any technology that "spies" on children or teachers.

For example there was a "craze" among parents to supply their kids with watches that had a SIM card and the parent could call up the child or listen in to what was being said around them. That is illegal under German law, because the others around them don't know whether they are being listened to, or usually even that there is a possibility that someone will be listening in. The products have since been banned from sale over here and parents had to either return the products or have them destroyed by authorities.

Unless the Alexas had a big sign over them, announcing what they are, and until all parents had agreed to the use of Alexa in the classroom, it would be illegal to turn them on and connect them to the Internet.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
Over here it would be illegal to use them in schools. You cannot use any technology that "spies" on children or teachers.

For example there was a "craze" among parents to supply their kids with watches that had a SIM card and the parent could call up the child or listen in to what was being said around them. That is illegal under German law, because the others around them don't know whether they are being listened to, or usually even that there is a possibility that someone will be listening in. The products have since been banned from sale over here and parents had to either return the products or have them destroyed by authorities.

Unless the Alexas had a big sign over them, announcing what they are, and until all parents had agreed to the use of Alexa in the classroom, it would be illegal to turn them on and connect them to the Internet.

I saw something about that kind of watch again recently. Oddly, staff at her school have to lock their phones in lockers now. I know that the Alexa boxes can be used as a spying device, which I’ve told her. Might as well pass on the information so she’s aware of the potential. I think a lot of people just accept these things and don’t question them.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]