Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
When's a van a van and when's it a car? 
What's a life?

Quote:

Have you heard the one about the chicken and the van?

As a way to get around a 55-year-old 25% tariff on the import of vans or light trucks into the US, carmaker Ford takes a novel approach.

Ford may be an American company, but it makes its smallest van, the Transit Connect, in Spain, exporting tens of thousands of them to the US every year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45875405

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am
What's a life?

So basically there's a loophole and Ford have decided to use it to its advantage to pay less tax. The solution? Close the loophole. Or re-evaluate the rules and regulations in the first place. No difference to calling jaffa cakes "cakes" (and having to be tested in law) despite being found in the biscuit aisle of my local supermarkets instead of the cake aisle.

Quite clever though.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

When I was playing with The Terrortones we had as our band van what is known as a "splitter van". A long wheelbase Transit with a second set of seats behind the driver and most importantly a second set of windows for them. Because of this whenever we had to go through any toll stations we were always charged the "car" rate, even though the vehicle in question was most obviously a van!

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
So basically there's a loophole and Ford have decided to use it to its advantage to pay less tax. The solution? Close the loophole. Or re-evaluate the rules and regulations in the first place. No difference to calling jaffa cakes "cakes" (and having to be tested in law) despite being found in the biscuit aisle of my local supermarkets instead of the cake aisle.

Quite clever though.

There were other dodges in the article, including sending aluminium tubing as football goalposts - pack in a net and presto! it’s sporting goods, and attracts a cheaper rate than sending raw aluminium tubing. The cost of the net is clearly much lower than the tariff.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]