Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Lots of questions about Windows 
Doesn't have much of a life

I have yet another problem with emails.

One of the computers needs to have two Exchange email accounts on it, but no matter what I do I can't get the second one set up.

I go through the set up process in Outlook and everything appears to be OK. At the end of the process I get a message saying I have to restart Outlook which I do and then I get a dialog box saying:

Microsoft Outlook
The Action cannot be completed. The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list.
And a single OK button.

When I click OK Outlook continues to open but my second email account isn't there.

Even when I try and create this account in a separate Outlook profile I get the same result.

The email account is there I can access it through the hosting service Webmail interface, but I can't get Outlook to connect to it.

This is the last thing I need to do, and the inability to be able to do it is driving me nuts. Neither the hosting provider or Microsoft seem to be able to offer a solution. Anyone here have a clue?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Depends what version of outlook it is. IIRC you need outlook 2013 or newer to have two exchange accounts in the same outlook profile. Prior to that you had to put them in different profiles and tell it to ask at startup which to use.

Autodiscover might also not be working on the second account. Hold down CTRL and right click the outlook icon in the task bar (tiny icons at right of the start bar) and select 'test email auto configuration...'. Fill in the account details there and test, see what it says.

It wont work if the account isn't in the GAL, for example.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 pm

It's Outlook 2016 (part of the Office 365 download) running under Windows 10 with Exchange server 2013.

Auto discover seems to work fine (although the method you suggested wasn't available to me - when I Ctrl Right-click on the Outlook Icon in the task bar I just get a list of Outlook tasks but the test option isn't there). The server and email address are found and apparently set up. It's just when I restart Outlook at the end of this process, that I get the error message and when Outlook opens the account hasn't been added.

I've already tried adding the address in a separate profile (although this shouldn't be required) without any success.

I'm wondering if the problem is that both email addresses have the same user name before the "@" and although they have different domain names because they are being hosted by the same company, the mail server address is the same.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:48 am
Profile WWW

Some more information.

When Outlook restarts with the error message, I have a new entry in the panel on the left where the email accounts and their folders are displayed, called "Private Folders" This is a "top level" entry like an email address, but when I try and expand it but clicking the arrow to the left I get a message "The set of folders cannot be opened. The requested information store could not be found in the active profile". If I right-click and select "Close" Outlook crashes and restarts with the "Private Folders" entry missing.

BTW what is "GAL"

Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Can't you just give the first mailbox full access to the second on the server. Then, when you open Outlook, with the primary account, the secondary account just appears.

In Outlook, you can then enable the displaying of the "From" field in new email and the user can choose from which account the email will be sent.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:13 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:
I'm wondering if the problem is that both email addresses have the same user name before the "@" and although they have different domain names because they are being hosted by the same company, the mail server address is the same.

That would true if they were the same mailbox i.e. if one was just an alias of the other. Might possibly also confuse things if the two are both in the same GAL. If you're trying to log into the both mailboxes and just using the short login (i.e the bit before the '@') for both that would also cause obvious problems, but you shouldn't be able to have two addresses with the same short login on one exchange server anyway?

Regardless, assuming you have access to the admin interface to set it up, Dave's solution should work. You'll need to give account A both 'full mailbox access' permission and 'send as' permission to account B, they're separate rights in Exchange.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:53 pm

As far as I can tell I don't have access to the mail server. That's done by the hosting service (Fasthosts).

If that's wrong can someone please explain how I get access?

Also the problem appears when I add the second account. Earlier in the process I'd got into such a mess trying to sort the problem out that I resorted to wiping the computer and reseting from the recovery partition using WinRE. After that I set up the account I was originally having problems with first and it went through OK. Then when I tried to add the other account which had previously been OK, that would now not load.

It's frustrating, because I finally have everything else set up how the users want it apart from this weird email problem.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:
As far as I can tell I don't have access to the mail server. That's done by the hosting service (Fasthosts).
If that's wrong can someone please explain how I get access?

If you need to change someone's email address (say someone gets married) how do you do that?

You can give account A permission to access account B if you can get into account B, either via outlook or via the web client. Giving them rights to 'send as' is a different thing, I'd have to check how you do that if you're not sysadmin.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:42 pm

Right now the ability (or not) to be able to change someone's email address isn't my problem...

I can access the problem email address through the Outlook Webmail interface. I'm assuming that what I need to do is somewhere on the Options page, but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

Help...

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It'll either be by right-clicking in the 'root' of the folder tree or in the options yes. Unfortunately I don't have access to the same version of OWA to tell you exactly where, sorry.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 pm

OK. By right-clicking the "root of the folder tree" (something I would have never thought of doing on my own) I have access to a dialog box for Permissions.

Which looks like this:

Is that correct? If not what do I need to change?

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Yep. Click the '+' and add in the other account, then click the 'permission level' drop down and select what you want - I'd suggest 'editor' If that's one of the choices. That should change the options below so you'll see what it gives. OINce you've got something you're happy with (I'd suggest you need 'full details read' plus 'write all' and 'delete all' at least. Click OK.

Then I'd suggest restarting outlook looking at the other account and this one should pop up on the left hand side as a second mailbox.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks!

Except the email address that I want to add it to is the only one I can't add! When I start typing in I get load of suggestions and I've found that I can get any of the email addresses across both the domains that we own and are hosted by Fastest (including some that are not Exchange but standard IMAP) except the one I wan to link this account to!

Grrrr....

BTW If I do mange to get this to work does the linked email address appear in outlook in the same way as a second email account would (with its own header and all the sub-folders arranged with it)?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:
Thanks!

Except the email address that I want to add it to is the only one I can't add! When I start typing in I get load of suggestions and I've found that I can get any of the email addresses across both the domains that we own and are hosted by Fastest (including some that are not Exchange but standard IMAP) except the one I wan to link this account to!

Frankly, I think they've cocked up. There are ways that, if you're an ISP, you can take one big Exchange service and 'segment' it so you can give different bits to different clients and they don't see each other. I think they may have messed the configuration of that up. I think the only option may be to open a support ticket with them and be VERY specific about what the problem is.

BigRedX wrote:
BTW If I do mange to get this to work does the linked email address appear in outlook in the same way as a second email account would (with its own header and all the sub-folders arranged with it)?

Yes. A shared mailbox shows up as a distinct second set of folders on the left hand side in outlook.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks.

I think you are right about the hosting service messing this up. Will I see the same thing in the web interface if I can get it changed by the hosting service so that it does work, as I may not have access to the Windows computers in question when I next have time to chase this up.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next