Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
TV mounts 
What's a life?

Although I've moved house, I'm still too poor to buy a whacking great big TV either for downstairs or for the bedroom. I've brought along my old Sony 20" LCD TV which is probably 7 years old by now. It's taking up space on the dressing table area in the bedroom (along with the laptop and printer but that's a different story).

I've thought about wallmounting it but need some advice.

1. Can I get a decent wall mount that will happily support a 20" and larger?
Or would I need to get a small mount for the 20" and then replace with a larger one later? Or should I not bother until I upgrade the TV?

2. Would the side of a chimney breast be okay?
The master bedroom is above the living room. This has a gas fireplace which I doubt we'd use except in winter when the central heating isn't enough. I'm concered about leaking fumes in the bedroom!

3. How high should I mount it?
I've always gone by the maxim that you should aim for the top of the TV to be where your eyes are if you're sat and looking forward. This reduces eye and neck strain and has been the reason why I've always sat near the back in cinemas and lecture theatres.

4. Any brand recommendations?

Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 pm
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
1. Can I get a decent wall mount that will happily support a 20" and larger?
Or would I need to get a small mount for the 20" and then replace with a larger one later? Or should I not bother until I upgrade the TV?

TV mounts are specced the template shape on the back of the TV (called VESA mounts) that the screws fit in which is normally defined as a square or rectangle, so say 200 X 200 or 120 X 80, and a maximum weight. Most mounts will fit any TV that meets with the mount's minimum and maximum sizes. So a TV mount will say 'Anything between 60 by 60 and 200 by 200'. if you can find a mount that fits both what you have now and what you plan to buy, you're OK.

I'd recommend finding the screw holes on the back of the TV you have now (assuming it has some) so you know what you need now and then, considering at the size of TV you plan to get, check the specs of a few models which will tell you what size mountings they need. If you can find a wall mounting that will work with both you're good to go.

cloaked_wolf wrote:
2. Would the side of a chimney breast be okay?
The master bedroom is above the living room. This has a gas fireplace which I doubt we'd use except in winter when the central heating isn't enough. I'm concered about leaking fumes in the bedroom!

I have mine mounted on the front of the chimney breast. To be honest, if it's a reasonably old house, unless you're using absolutely massive screws to put it on you're not going to be penetrating through the brick. And even if you do, the chimney should be lined anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

cloaked_wolf wrote:
3. How high should I mount it?
I've always gone by the maxim that you should aim for the top of the TV to be where your eyes are if you're sat and looking forward. This reduces eye and neck strain and has been the reason why I've always sat near the back in cinemas and lecture theatres.

Mine's quite high and it's not been a problem. Somewhat above eye line is probably best as most mounts tend to tilt the TV downwards a bit.

cloaked_wolf wrote:
4. Any brand recommendations?

Not really. A the end of the day - unless you're going to go for sophisticated stuff like something with an articulated arm that allows you to wave the TV around - they're just bits of metal you screw to a wall then screw the TV on to. Mine's fine and cost me like 25 quid.

One tip - before you spend the money, check you can take the stand off the TV you've got. if you can't, it's a no-go probably.

Jon

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 pm
What's a life?

Moving into a new flat next week, and just ordered a 39" Panansonic number - this thread couldn't have come at a better time. :)

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:35 pm
What's a life?

Thanks for the advice. Shall look into it. I think originally I was looking at having the TV on a mount with an arm but I'm not so sure. I also need to consider what size TV to go for the bedroom. Viewing distance is 3m (from where our eyes will be whilst sitting up in bed to the wall).

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Shall look into it. I think originally I was looking at having the TV on a mount with an arm but I'm not so sure. I also need to consider what size TV to go for the bedroom. Viewing distance is 3m (from where our eyes will be whilst sitting up in bed to the wall).

Not sure how relevant this is but I have two 50" tellys. One in the living room and one in the bedroom with a viewing distance of about two metres.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I think that was one of my thoughts - whether it was silly to have the same sized TV screen in the bedroom as in the living room, or a smaller one in the living room and a larger one in the bedroom.

Fri May 01, 2015 7:21 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I think that was one of my thoughts - whether it was silly to have the same sized TV screen in the bedroom as in the living room, or a smaller one in the living room and a larger one in the bedroom.

The wife wanted a 3D TV and I said that was fine as long as we could have the old set upstairs. We usually go up at about half past nine to put the little one in bed then go and chill out for an hour or so, just watching telly in bed

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]