Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
£50 in ear phones 
What's a life?

Bollocks. Typed everything out and went to another page only for the iPhone to reload this page causing me to lose everything I'd typed. Second time.

Anyways, I after some IEMs for use with my iPhone 3GS and my laptop. Mainly bedroom use rather than out on the street. Am after SQ more than anything else. Have had a look at a few audiophile forums posted in this section but there are issues with the IEMs recommended:

- available only in america/difficult to obtain here
- out of date/no longer available
- stupidly expensive here cf. America (around 2.5x as much as US prices)
- build quality issues/poor feedback on the likes of amazon

I listen to rap/hiphop/r'n'b music but have stared to appreciate that not every song needs the based pumped to the max. I had a loom at these ones:
clicky but they seem to be the older model.

Budget can stretch to £70 max but I don't really want to pay for expensive IEMs only to have to replace them in a year's time.

Any recommendations

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 pm
Spends far too much time on here

I already have a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 IIs, which cost me £30 back in the day. But....... they've never stayed in my ears so I've never used them. Then read about these things:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/Headphones.6/Accessories.278/?manufacturers_id=313#guide_result

I reckon you're probably better off spending 60-70% of your budget on the IEMs and then saving £15-20 for some tips.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

okenobi wrote:
I already have a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 IIs

I have those too, I think they're excellent. Comfortable to wear for longer periods, and the sound is very good IMO. I've not had a problems with them falling out of my ears - just using the middle sized set of buds.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:57 am

Spreadie wrote:
okenobi wrote:
I already have a pair of Sennheiser CX-300 IIs

I have those too, I think they're excellent. Comfortable to wear for longer periods, and the sound is very good IMO. I've not had a problems with them falling out of my ears - just using the middle sized set of buds.

I think my ears might be "non-standard"! The Comply tips should be here by the weekend, so I'll report back.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm
What's a life?

Well I ended up buying Denon AH-C560R earphones from Amazon. They're £90!

Here's a list of iPhone-compatible recommended phones from head-fi.org (not exhaustive):

Sennheiser mm70i
Sennheiser CX880i
Denon AH-C560R
Ultimate Ears Superfi 5 vi
Shure SE115m
Etymotic hf2
Etymotic mc5
Ortofon EQ-5
Denon 710

They range from £50 to £120+. Have a look at amazon, play, advancedmp3players.co.uk and the apple store for availability and prices. Apparently Skull Candy earphones are crap, and the Apple ones (the in-ear ones) are very good. Klipsch Image S4 are highly regarded but have poor build quality.

Hope that helps others in my situation.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 am
Occasionally has a life

Quote:
Klipsch Image S4 are highly regarded but have poor build quality.

I have some Klipsch S4i's. Interestingly, they have the best sound quality of any ipod headphones I have used - but are falling apart!
The bit by the microphone and volume control has detached from the rubber above and has left a fair amount of wiring exposed. So I need to get some insulating tape or something to sort that out. Though i hasten to add I have used them for over a year. During that time from 1-10 hours a day (sleeping on them on numerous occasions) and have generally given them a good wacking. Though I was still suprised that the wire is so flimsy.. ah well.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:39 pm
What's a life?

That poor build quality is the only thing that stopped me buying them. There were rave reviews on head-fi in terms of SQ but most had theirs fall apart within six months. The amazon reviews shared the same sentiments about them falling apart, some within days.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:19 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
iPhone-compatible

What am I missing here?

My Comply tips arrived and are a relevation. More weight, better clarity and a much nicer fit. Still having some trouble with them staying in my ears though. I guess I must be weird...

Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:17 pm
What's a life?

The iPhone compatible bit basically means it has in-line controls to change tracks etc, and usually come with a mic too so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket.

Can't remember where but I remember seeing a box of something like twelve pairs of tips, all of varying sizes to fit your ears.

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Re the rant about losing your post.

Get the tapatalk app for your iPhone and browse the forum that way.

Gives it a very nice app look and feel.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Can't remember where but I remember seeing a box of something like twelve pairs of tips, all of varying sizes to fit your ears.

Yeah, these are available in different sizes, I think I might need a large instead of a medium. Or maybe IEMs just don't agree with me. Need to decide soon. Want something comfy for running around the island!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 am
What's a life?

So almost five years on and I'm in need of replacement earphones. The Denons were great but as usual, I didn't look after them properly and the surrounding sheath for one of the earphones popped out and it's revealing the wires underneath. I now also can't find them. No idea where they've gone. The iphone in-ear ones are uncomfortable in comparison to the denon ones.

Researching newer models and it seems that noise-cancelling is a more common feature, which appeals.

Budget - I'd love to go higher but given how I've looked after my last set, I'm sticking around the £50-60 mark.

Any new suggestions please.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:46 am
Legend

cloaked_wolf wrote:
So almost five years on and I'm in need of replacement earphones. The Denons were great but as usual, I didn't look after them properly and the surrounding sheath for one of the earphones popped out and it's revealing the wires underneath. I now also can't find them. No idea where they've gone. The iphone in-ear ones are uncomfortable in comparison to the denon ones.

Researching newer models and it seems that noise-cancelling is a more common feature, which appeals.

Budget - I'd love to go higher but given how I've looked after my last set, I'm sticking around the £50-60 mark.

Any new suggestions please.

These are brilliant but £10 out of your max price range (they weren't 70 when I bought 'em IIRC!')

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SE215-Dyn ... headphones

The sound is lower but totally distinct, and the multiple covers work great. They cut out most of the noise on a Belfast motorway's footpath, so...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]