Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
What 'Stuff' You Got??? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

ProfessorF wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
Cleared out the carp room

Didn't know you keep fish, John?

I don't but I didn't think that the swear filter would allow the word crap. It seems I was wrong, so...

I was clearing out the crap cupboard, which for those who don't know is a 6 foot by 3 foot room, which used to be known as the computer room until it got full of junk, (or crap if you prefer)...

I suspect you already knew this, Alex. ;)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:27 am
Profile WWW

Add to my list of stuff:

Interfit EX150 Mark II Home Studio Flash Kit.

Mrs. V. bought it as an early Christmas present. Well, I say she bought it... I actually went into the shop and I paid for it. Hang on a second! Something's not right here... I am, in fact, buying my own Christmas present... again! :lol:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Just picked up a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and Manfrotto 701RC2 video head for £90.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:48 pm
Occasionally has a life

Excellent choice of tripod, sir.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

nickminers wrote:
Excellent choice of tripod, sir.

Why aye, man!

timark_uk wrote:
Edward Armitage is Awesome. Yes, that's right. Awesome with a A.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Since my last post, I got a blue grad filter Cokin P123, the Gorrillapod SLR Zoom and my favourite new toy, which I am really looking forward to testing to its limits- the Lensbaby Composer.

I have just decided that I am going to get an L lens in the coming year. The only thing spoiling what should be some great shots must be my cheap glass.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:19 am

trigen_killer wrote:
I have just decided that I am going to get an L lens in the coming year. The only thing spoiling what should be some great shots must be my cheap glass.

Most of my glass is relatively cheap, and yet sometimes I get a shot that is simply stunning. Blaming my kit for the naff shots is an easy trap to fall into, but while I have to put up with what I've actually got until I can afford better, I am learning to work harder to get the better shots more often. :)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I know that an L series lens can't make me a 1st class photographer, but I am sure that many of my zoom shots have no particular reason for being anything other than perfect- focus, lack of camera shake etc. apart from the fact that my telezoom is a basic 75-300 lens.

Certainly I have taken tripod mounted shots with mid-range apertures and ample shutter speed and yet there is still something not quite right about the picture. I have noticed that the quality of shots with my Canon 100mm Macro lens can be fantastic, so with that better quality lens, I know it isn't the camera.

I am going to be looking on ebay to save a few pounds. As they are professional lenses, most seem to have been well looked after, even with heavy use.

My lowest spec operational system- AT desktop case, 200W AT PSU, Jetway TX98B Socket 7, Intel Pentium 75Mhz, 2x16MB EDO RAM, 270MB Quantum Maverick HDD, ATI Rage II+ graphics, Soundblaster 16 CT2230, MS-DOS/Win 3.11

My Flickr

Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am

I really want some new glass. I've got a wishlist like most people but at this point even something to better the kit lens (Sigma 17-70) or covering mid distances (28-80) would go down nice. I love the Sigma 50 but now Emily is moving (she's bloody fast!) I need some more reach :lol:

In the meantime I'm bidding on a battery grip on eBay. 1 day to go. They're quite rare for my camera so I'm expecting a battle!

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

The difference between the kit lens and my 50mm is astonishing - however - not all very expensive lenses appear to be the value for money you'd expect them to be.
Zeiss' lenses are pricey. Lovely, but pricey. I've been reading reviews that would suggest a Zeiss 50mm is not the streets ahead of a Canon 50mm of a similar aperture that you'd expect, and bear in mind the Canon is significantly cheaper.

So, YMMV. Generally, yes, good glass is worth the cash, but don't think that just because a lens is pricey it's light years ahead of the cheaper stuff.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:41 pm
Spends far too much time on here

Sony A450
Kit 18-55mm f3.5-4.6 lens (apparently pretty good)
Minolta 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 beercan style lens
Looking to add a 50mm f1.7 Minolta lens (maybe even a 28mm one) to that but they seem to go for around £70 on the bay atm, waiting for a bargain

Toying with the idea of a telephoto lens so when the sky clears up I can take the tripod which I found in the garage out and get some nice shots of the night sky (low light pollution ftw)

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Didnt win the battery grip. Went for £100.98 in the end which was a bit too much for me given that although useful it doesnt add a great deal of functionality I havent been able to do without. Shame though.

In the meantime I think I'm finally going to pick up a tripod bag which I still havent got around to buying.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:20 am
Profile WWW

Thought I'd chip in with my relatively meagre list of kit.

Olympus E-420 baby DSLR
Zuiko 14-42mm Lens
Zuiko 40-150mm Lens
Miranda Tripod
Remote shutter release
A few filters UV, PL, ND etc..

And a Lowepro Aw200 to cart it about.

I'd like a macro and a 70-300mm, but my missus will kill me if I buy anything else (at least for a good few months). Besides the macro lens is stupidly expensive for my camera.

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:34 am

Giottos AA1253 bag came today. Feels like really good quality. £16.99 from MyMemory.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm
Profile WWW

I have a Nikon D40 and new VR 18-55mm kit lens, the lens was bought in Paraguay to replace the original which was lost in a volcanic crater on Easter Island, my tripod is the SLR version of the Gorillapod. I started off with the D40x but sold that to raise money for my trip before reconsidering and picking up a cheap D40 secondhand.

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next