Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Ubuntu - Server or Desktop 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hi,

Quick question... I need to do some PHP testing and am going to install Ubuntu on an old laptop, (but decently specced) laptop, but am unsure if I need to install the Server edition or whether the Desktop edition will do the job.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

:)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:21 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Both will work fine. The desktop version will give you more flexibility for long-term use of the machine...

To be honest, I'd just stick Ubuntu in a VM with PHP installed, it doesn't take much power to run a site for testing / demo purposes.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:25 pm
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
Both will work fine. The desktop version will give you more flexibility for long-term use of the machine...

To be honest, I'd just stick Ubuntu in a VM with PHP installed, it doesn't take much power to run a site for testing / demo purposes.

Thanks Dave, I will probably end up using a VM as I need to have Windows installed on the laptop for storing/shopping photo's as well.

Edit to add: Thinking about it I would probably be better with the Server edition, as I'm guessing that it won't install as many apps, such as games, etc and I can't be @rsed going through the custom installation and removing any unnecessary programs.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

You might want to check whether the server edition installs a GUI if that's something you need.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:35 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

You might want to check this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... er-462043/

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks guys. I don't think the server edition does have a GUI, but that's not a problem as I only need it to host some php stuff I'm doing, and I would be remotely connected to the server, using VI, (or whatever the Ubuntu equivalent is) for local editing.

:)

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:06 am
Profile WWW

John_Vella wrote:
using VI, (or whatever the Ubuntu equivalent is) for local editing.

First of all: Good man!
Secondly: Ubuntu (client 10.4 or whatever it is) uses vi instead of vim, but what you get is vim. Just a heads up as it confused me.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Nick wrote:
You might want to check whether the server edition installs a GUI if that's something you need.

You don't need a GUI. Most of the Linux servers I've managed over the years never had X installed, let alone a desktop manager. Remotely managing over SSH was all that was needed. That will also make the VM much lighter - although you could restrict the server to booting to RL3, once it is configured.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm
Profile ICQ

Update time. I put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop on the laptop last night and installed PHP, MySQL, etc...

The only slight issue I had was that I couldn't copy any files into the www folder, but I overcame that by activating the root account and copying the files from the command line. I might find a better solution at some stage, but it'll do for now...

forquare1 wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
using VI, (or whatever the Ubuntu equivalent is) for local editing.

First of all: Good man!
Secondly: Ubuntu (client 10.4 or whatever it is) uses vi instead of vim, but what you get is vim. Just a heads up as it confused me.

Since I have never used VIM that shouldn't be a problem, which reminds me... I must remember to get the VI cheat sheet from the carp cupboard wall when I get home :)

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]