Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Windows Server and drivers 
What's a life?

Does anyone know if Windows Server (specifically 2019) should update drivers through Windows Update?

I've been googling and can't seem to find anything relevant, every search for Windows Server 2019 update drivers etc. brings up either reviews of Windows Server or installing drivers on Windows 10...

The problem I have is a new install of Server 2019 on a VMWare ESCi 6.5 platform. The disk controller drivers supplied by VMWare install withouth complaint, but after a couple of hours, Windows complains it needs to restart to complete the configuration, carry out a reboot, rinse and repeat.

I eventually found out that, although all updates had been installed over Windows Update, it hadn't updated the controller drivers. Going into Device Manager, right clicking on the controller and selecting "update drivers" and then selecting to update directly over Windows Update found new drivers and the problem went away.

I know that Windows 10 can get drivers from Windows Update, but I've never seen the option for drivers in Windows Server, but our external consultant swears he gets the drivers over Windows Update automatically, which is why he never had the problem. Given the reticense of most admins to change a running system, I could see that Windows Update doesn't offer drivers over Windows Update, but that you have to specifically ask for them in Device Manager or install them manually.

I've had a look at our 2008, 2012 and 2016 servers and none have a flag for offering drivers over Windows Update itself, just over Windows Update over Device Manager.

So if someone could clear that up, it would put my mind at rest.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]