Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Windows 10 query 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

As I mentioned in another thread, my other half went against by advice* and recently bought a Windows 10 laptop. She switched it on over 45 minutes ago and she can't use it as it is 'updating.' The laptop has restarted itself at least once and things are still underway and it is not saying what it's doing nor is it offering the possibility to update some other time or terminate the process. I am completely unfamiliar with Windows so is this normal? It seems to do updates of something or other almost every time it is switched on.

*Only because I use Macs and therefore can't help with a Windows computer.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:37 am
Legend

That's certainly my experience - don't have too many failed log-in attempts/reboots the [LIFTED] morons lock your hard drive.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:57 am

Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's doing the Anniversary update, which does take a long time... If it's still updating tomorrow morning assume something is wrong.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

John_Vella wrote:
Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's doing the Anniversary update, which does take a long time... If it's still updating tomorrow morning assume something is wrong.

omfg lol :roll:

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 am

oceanicitl wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Or you could use your time more productively, by visiting the Google Play Store and downloading Retro Bee.

That better, Caz? ;) :P :lol: :roll: :etc:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Official forum cat lady

John_Vella wrote:
oceanicitl wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Or you could use your time more productively, by visiting the Google Play Store and downloading Retro Bee.

That better, Caz? ;) :P :lol: :roll: :etc:

I was omfg'ing at the fact a Windoze update could take that long. Not sure what that's got to do with Retro Bee lol

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:21 am
What's a life?

Depending on the hardware, it should take between 20 minutes (my new HP with SSD) and an hour (7 year old laptop with slow HD).

For Mac users, this is the equivalent of going from El Capitain to Yosemite.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 am
Profile ICQ

oceanicitl wrote:
I was omfg'ing at the fact a Windoze update could take that long. Not sure what that's got to do with Retro Bee lol

I was suggesting that if the Windows update was taking so long, the OP might want to pass the time by doing something productive, like visiting the Play Store and download Retro Bee.

It's called shameless self-publicity! ;)

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Has a life

Just bought, it will be up to date only up to the time the manufacturer or store loaded it, so a big update is likely.
Also I think MS now bundle ALL updates since the last major release into EVERY monthly update whether you already have them or not.
Either they have bought shares in BT or they couldn't care about customer's time.

I'm rapidly going off Windows and certainly would not PAY for it (I got mine as a gift from MS) :roll:

It is unlikely you will have much spare bandwith unless you have turned off download sharing and adjusted the % of bandwidth MS updates can hog.

November updates alone are well large and if you are not careful you could end up getting them twice as they are now issuing previews of what is going into the updates as well as the updates. These are "so systems staff can decide whether they want the REAL update or not" Ha! HA!

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Thanks everybody. I just found it strange that you are not told what is going on or why anything is being downloaded. Plus there seemed to be no option to do this at a more convenient time. Having said that, it's not my computer and i wasn't sat in front of it so I don't know if something was missed.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm

You can in settings set updates to be done at a specified time - I think mine is set for 4 am

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 am
What's a life?

Paul1965 wrote:
Thanks everybody. I just found it strange that you are not told what is going on or why anything is being downloaded. Plus there seemed to be no option to do this at a more convenient time. Having said that, it's not my computer and i wasn't sat in front of it so I don't know if something was missed.

It should default to reboot "out of hours", which usually means after 10 at night and before 6 in the morning, but you can adjust the times. If you manually reboot the PC or shut it down, then that will trigger it - generally I reboot my PC once a month, after the patches have been downloaded; the rest of the time, I just put my machine in stand-by mode. I don't think I've regularly shut down my computer since moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8. With 8, 8.1 and 10, there is generally little need to shutdown or reboot, when there aren't patches to install.

The downloading takes place in the background and you shouldn't notice it. Only once the download is in place and the PC is rebooting does it actually take control of the PC. Here you will usually get a progress in percent, interspersed with a message that it is busy and you shouldn't manually power off the device. On restarting, it will, again, usually show percentage and ask you to have patience. Towards the end of a version update (as opposed to monthly patches), you will then be told that it is moving files or setting up the user experience, but that your personal files are still where you left them. And cute messages like "nearly done," or "just a few more things to do."

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:23 am
Profile ICQ

Thanks big_D that clears things up a bit more. And those cute messages are a little bit annoying!!

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]