Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Restricting folder access 
What's a life?

We have local user profiles on each computer. On my one, there is mine and there is the generic log in that everyone else uses. I used to use the generic log in until other staff needed to use my computer on the days I'm away. I created my own log in profile on the domain controller.

I can log in under my username and still access the generic log in user folder through c:\users\generic
Similarly, I can log in under the generic log in and access c:\users\wolf

How do I restrict it such that this doesn't happen? I didn't think it was allowed and I recall under WinXP I couldn't do this.

Windows 7 Pro 32bit

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:42 am
What's a life?

The simple answer seems to be : remove the permissions for your login account to access the 'general' user folder? Either by removing what permissions are there for you or by adding a specific 'no permissions' er.. permission at the general user folder root.

Am I missing something?

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:47 am
What's a life?

Well I tried that and it didn't work.

Folder permissions for c:\user\wolf - administrator, SYSTEM, wolf@localdomainname
Took off access for administrator and system. All my files and folders disappeared. Reversed it and they're all back.

Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:44 am
What's a life?

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Well I tried that and it didn't work.

Folder permissions for c:\user\wolf - administrator, SYSTEM, wolf@localdomainname
Took off access for administrator and system. All my files and folders disappeared. Reversed it and they're all back.

Are you in the 'administrators' system group then?

What it sounds like is all your files are actually 'owned' by the administrator group rather that you. You'd need change the ownership of all your stuff (you can do that at the top of the folder tree and it should flow down) and then take yourself out of the admins group. Then you'd have access to your stuff but nothing else. Of course that means you'll no longer be able to administer things and won't be able to put yourself back in the group either, so make sure someone else is in the group before you do that :D

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:11 pm
Has a life

You need to remove the Administer access from all the other account except the true administrators.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]