Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
New iMacs 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

New iMacs

Looks like Broadwell rather than Skylake CPU's going by the Iris Pro 6200 graphics in the 21.5" version.
Also, looks like if you go for the 27" version it's 5k display or nothing. Radeon M380/390/395 graphics.

Edit:
Might be Skylake in the 27" model.
Shame they haven't gone with Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C. Mind you, that would presumably mean another set of cables to hook stuff up.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:16 am
What's a life?

/facepalm at the price of the 2nd generation magic trackpad and the fact the keyboard still doesn't have a number pad.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:48 pm

They're priced at a point where people will still buy them if they want. Plus most of the peripherals are probably sold as a bundle with the devices for free.

They're a lot of money. But I've seen mice and keyboards for a hell of a lot more than what Apple is asking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

jonbwfc wrote:
/facepalm at the price of the 2nd generation magic trackpad and the fact the keyboard still doesn't have a number pad.

You can specify a keyboard with a number pad at no cost, although I assume that's probably still wired.
Unless your regularly do a lot of number entry there's an argument that it's beneficial to not have the keypad as it means you can position your mouse/trackpad in a more ergonomically beneficial place - don't have to stretch as far.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:01 pm
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:

You can specify a keyboard with a number pad at no cost, although I assume that's probably still wired.

Yup, they don't appear to have updated the wired keyboard to 'the new style' either.

davrosG5 wrote:
Unless your regularly do a lot of number entry there's an argument that it's beneficial to not have the keypad as it means you can position your mouse/trackpad in a more ergonomically beneficial place - don't have to stretch as far.

Well not if you're left handed. I type number sequences in more than occasionally - say once or twice a day - and I do so significantly quicker on a keypad than on the traditional keyboard line arrangement. And also the fact that the direction keys the way they're arranged on the apple wireless keyboards are.. ergonomically terrible.

It's somewhat based around the case that Apple used to make a very good wireless keyboard with a number pad and just decided to stop. That is very 'Apple' of course. And partly because nobody else seems to make a high quality full size bluetooth keyboard either. Logitech make some nice wireless ones, but they all require a USB dongle (which work very erratically if you plug them into a USB 3 port for some reason).

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:43 pm

jonbwfc wrote:
It's somewhat based around the case that Apple used to make a very good wireless keyboard with a number pad and just decided to stop. That is very 'Apple' of course. And partly because nobody else seems to make a high quality full size bluetooth keyboard either.

You could have a look at this, though it depends on what you mean by high quality.
And, yes, that company clearly hasn't employed anyone with web design skills that made it out of the 90's.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:03 pm
What's a life?

I use this on my Surface Pro 3. But the point being the numeric keypad.

I enter series of numbers dozens of times a day, so I need a numeric keypad, full stop, end of story. This arrangement is very good, the keypad gets shoved out of the way when not in use and pulled into position when I'm entering numbers. I find it very good - and you can position the num pad to a comfortable position, without skewing the whole keyboard, so having it an an angle uses less space than it would if it was a combined keyboard.

You can also buy separate numeric keypads, even Bluetooth ones - Amazon Germany, but you get the idea.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
You could have a look at this, though it depends on what you mean by high quality.
And, yes, that company clearly hasn't employed anyone with web design skills that made it out of the 90's.

Only 30 quid from Amazon, so it's worth a go. I'm sure I'll find a use for it if it doesn't work out as a 'full time' desktop keyboard. Thanks very much!

big_D wrote:
I use this on my Surface Pro 3. But the point being the numeric keypad.

I've tried split/ergonomic keyboards, I don't get on with them. I susect it's because I'm not a proper touch typist and have very bad typing habits. But I doubt they're changing at this point.

big_D wrote:
You can also buy separate numeric keypads, even Bluetooth ones - Amazon Germany, but you get the idea.

I know, but they're a pretty clunky solution to the problem.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Can someone please explain the attraction of a wireless keyboard?

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:

In one context (work) it means I can stand at the back of the room while presenting (instead of next to the board) and still run the presentation.
Also less wires is always a good thing.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:03 pm
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:

Fundmentally, it keeps my desktop clear of wires that can get in the way and knock other things over, like cups of tea. And tea is a requirement when I'm at the computer.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

These are the best of both worlds. They can be wireless but also plug in and work over usb.

When they're plugged in you can turn the Bluetooth off so it really is using usb.

Same for the trackpad also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I'm a little dismayed at the new mouse. In theory, I don't like the idea of a rechargeable mouse without removable batteries.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:32 pm
What's a life?

Yeah, what pillock thought having a cable sticking out of the underside of the mouse was a good idea! :roll:

There have been wireless rechargeable mice for over a decade, where you can plug it in and use it at the same time, yet Apple can't manage that combination? :?

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:42 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
There have been wireless rechargeable mice for over a decade, where you can plug it in and use it at the same time, yet Apple can't manage that combination? :?

Almost certainly 'could have, but chose not to'. Lord knows why. The only thing I can think of is a port on the 'nose' would have somehow made the internal bluetooth antenna design horribly complicated, but you can fit a bluetooth antenna on a postage stamp.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]