Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sept 2015 Show 
What's a life?

iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, New Apple TV, iPhone 6S etc? Anyone

Not so sure about the iPad Pro, rather interested in the Apple TV, about due for an upgrade but I don't want a phablet so the plus is out.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:50 pm
What's a life?

Not specifically into the iphone 6S but I need to upgrade my 4S and I didnt bother withthe 5S as I thought I would have.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:34 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
Not so sure about the iPad Pro, rather interested in the Apple TV, about due for an upgrade but I don't want a phablet so the plus is out.

Uhm pretty much the opposite for me.
Phone upgrade in December, so I'll see how things shake out between now and then.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:03 pm

The iPad Pro with a good stylus would be really good for drawing, if only Apple could do something about having your hand resting register as extra input.
They should have some sort of software hack where if the stylus is activated by the user in a pref. pane then only the stylus tip would be recognised, leaving the user free to rest their hand while drawing.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:17 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I can't help thinking that, especially with the snap on keyboard, the iPad Pro is an Apple Surface.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested though if it wasn't for the fact that I bought and iPad Air 2 a fortnight ago.

Nothing terribly unexpected with the iPhone 6s and Plus. It is a little disappointing they didn't move the base model up to 32Gb. 16Gb really isn't enough without a micro-SD slot if you want to store some music and things on your phone as well as apps.

I'll be interested to see what they want for the Apple TV in the UK. I also wonder what they've changed on the insides that requires it to be taller than the previous version. I know it's got an A8X and presumably some extra memory but if you can squeeze all that into and iPad what's the extra space actually for?
They also dropped the optical output so it's HDMI or nothing for sound output.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:20 am
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
I can't help thinking that, especially with the snap on keyboard, the iPad Pro is an Apple Surface.

You're not the only one who thinks that. Amazingly, someone thought that THREE YEARS AGO.

Nostra sodding Damus, apart from the fact it wasn't revealed at WWDC. It's different from the Surface (which I think are great kit BTW, heartily recommend them) in that Surface runs windows 'desktop' not windows 'phone', although even there the lines are blurring. If they'd rejigged the MacBook Air as a.. laplet(?) then the parallel would have been exact. As it is, only running iOS, it's kind of coming at the same problem from the other direction.

davrosG5 wrote:
Doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested though if it wasn't for the fact that I bought and iPad Air 2 a fortnight ago.

I wouldn't worry about it - I have a feeling there are plenty of use cases where the 'traditional' size iPad is best, just like before there are use cases where a 9" tab is better than a 7" tab. Having said that I was planning on buying a new iPad for Christmas and not a mini. Until this week, my choice was obvious. Now, less so. I guess I'll have to pick one up and see if it feels 'too big'.

davrosG5 wrote:
Nothing terribly unexpected with the iPhone 6s and Plus. It is a little disappointing they didn't move the base model up to 32Gb. 16Gb really isn't enough without a micro-SD slot if you want to store some music and things on your phone as well as apps.

I'd love t se some hard stats on this kind of stuff (I imagine Google & Apple have them) - I wonder what percentage of people do copy loads of stuff onto their phones. I know at least two people who have no music or video at all on theirs, for example. Plus with Apple Music/Spotify premium and a decent 4G contract, it's not as if you have to. Having said that, I found 16GB quite restrictive on my iPad, even mostly just with Apps.

davrosG5 wrote:
I'll be interested to see what they want for the Apple TV in the UK. I also wonder what they've changed on the insides that requires it to be taller than the previous version.

Storage mostly is my guess. That and the new CPU means a beefier internal transformer probably as well. It's still a fairly compact thing, to be fair. Still not buying until it gets an iPlayer app :).

davrosG5 wrote:
They also dropped the optical output so it's HDMI or nothing for sound output.

That is a little odd, although tbh I suspect very few people use an AppleTV just for audio.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:42 am
Spends far too much time on here

the iPad Pro and iPhone 6S Plus both look quite tempting. I've not really been tempted by an iPad before, but this one starts to satisfy my monitor size whore tendencies :p

Need to get my hands on them both in the flesh first, just to see how they actual feel in real life, but I'm pretty sure I'll be acquiring them both as and when funds allow.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:19 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I'm wondering if an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil is a viable alternate to a Cintiq 13 HD. There are apps that allow you to use an iPad as a drawing pad for a Mac and the price is very likely to be in the same area, plus you get to use it as an iPad when you're not drawing...

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am
What's a life?

timark_uk wrote:
The iPad Pro with a good stylus would be really good for drawing, if only Apple could do something about having your hand resting register as extra input.
They should have some sort of software hack where if the stylus is activated by the user in a pref. pane then only the stylus tip would be recognised, leaving the user free to rest their hand while drawing.

Mark

All the Windows devices I've ever used have disregarded skin-touch when the stylus is anywhere near the display. You don't have to switch the stylus on and off in the settings, as soon as the sensor layer on the screen detects the stylus hovering above it, it ignores everything else. I can comfortably rest my hand on the screen whilst writing text or drawing.

That was also something I didn't see in the news around the iPad Pro, does it do text conversion like the Windows devices do? That is one of the best features, you write handwritten text in OneNote and it indexes the text you've written, so that you can search for it. There is also a "writing" keyboard, where you can write with the stylus and it converts it into text for applications - I found about a 98% accuracy rating on my Samsung tablet with Windows 8.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:

Except, unlike the Microsoft Surface, it doesn't run OS X desktop applications as well as iOS tablet applications...

davrosG5 wrote:

Given all the trouble they had upgrading 16GB devices last time, you would have thought they had learnt their lesson...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 am
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

I'd guess that the 16GB model is to hit a price point requested by the carriers so that they can hit certain strategic prices for their contracts and packages. Seems the most logical explanation to me, as it's really not a lot given the size of the OS and as mentioned the very large update files that need to be handled.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

There is a framework in iOS 9.1 called CoreHandwriting which sounds like it does hand writing recognition.

Also, the Pencil by 53 when used in their app does palm detection.

I imagine the Pencil will do the same on the OS level.

The 3D Touch is very interesting to me. Will be interesting to see what can be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:16 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

New AppleTV will definitely have a Plex app.

If it has an iPlayer App and a DLNA client app I could chuck at least couple of things under my TV away...

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:09 pm
What's a life?

Fogmeister wrote:
There is a framework in iOS 9.1 called CoreHandwriting which sounds like it does hand writing recognition.

Also, the Pencil by 53 when used in their app does palm detection.

I imagine the Pencil will do the same on the OS level.

The 3D Touch is very interesting to me. Will be interesting to see what can be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palm rejection in a number of other apps is reliant on two things: API from the stylus writer, and the willingness of the app writer to implement it.

The major bugbear with ProCreate is that while it supports the Adonit styluses well, it does not implement their palm rejection that well. You need to turn off multi touch gestures for what device, and be very careful which order you put pint to screen and palm in screen. If you are unlucky, you'll either get a mark where your hand is, or the drawing will be registered as a pinch gesture.

Anything that mitigates this problem is welcome, and ProCreate is not alone in this.

Paper has a luxury of making their own stylus and their software, so they can tweak and tinker all they like.nsimialrly, Aodnit's own app will work with their styluses, but it's not as well developed or as useful as Procreate.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
New AppleTV will definitely have a Plex app.

If it has an iPlayer App and a DLNA client app I could chuck at least couple of things under my TV away...

iPlayer will likely get me on board. However, the lack of a fibre optic port means that if I want music through the amp, I'll need to retain the current Apple TV for that. My amp is good, but doesn't have an HDMI port.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next