Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Sept 2015 Show 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

paulzolo wrote:
Fogmeister wrote:
There is a framework in iOS 9.1 called CoreHandwriting which sounds like it does hand writing recognition.

Also, the Pencil by 53 when used in their app does palm detection.

I imagine the Pencil will do the same on the OS level.

The 3D Touch is very interesting to me. Will be interesting to see what can be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palm rejection in a number of other apps is reliant on two things: API from the stylus writer, and the willingness of the app writer to implement it.

The major bugbear with ProCreate is that while it supports the Adonit styluses well, it does not implement their palm rejection that well. You need to turn off multi touch gestures for what device, and be very careful which order you put pint to screen and palm in screen. If you are unlucky, you'll either get a mark where your hand is, or the drawing will be registered as a pinch gesture.

Anything that mitigates this problem is welcome, and ProCreate is not alone in this.

Paper has a luxury of making their own stylus and their software, so they can tweak and tinker all they like.nsimialrly, Aodnit's own app will work with their styluses, but it's not as well developed or as useful as Procreate.

That's true but it would be possible for Apple to intercept the touches and the pencil at an OS level before passing it to an app.

If the pencil is connected and is one of the registered touches then only send that one to the app. That way the app wouldn't have to explicitly support it.

Could do even more if the app writer decided to support it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:37 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Might be worth checking the footage of the Pencil from the show to see if it looks like palm rejection is in. With the iPad Pro, I'd think it'd be hard to draw on it and not make contact wit the screen unintentionally quite often.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:48 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
Might be worth checking the footage of the Pencil from the show to see if it looks like palm rejection is in. With the iPad Pro, I'd think it'd be hard to draw on it and not make contact wit the screen unintentionally quite often.

Will be going to an Apple Store to give one a go. That's really the acid test.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:14 pm
What's a life?

paulzolo]Palm rejection in a number of other apps is reliant on two things: API from the stylus writer, and the willingness of the app writer to implement it.

The major bugbear with ProCreate is that while it supports the Adonit styluses well, it does not implement their palm rejection that well. You need to turn off multi touch gestures for what device, and be very careful which order you put pint to screen and palm in screen. If you are unlucky, you'll either get a mark where your hand is, or the drawing will be registered as a pinch gesture.

Anything that mitigates this problem is welcome, and ProCreate is not alone in this.

Paper has a luxury of making their own stylus and their software, so they can tweak and tinker all they like.nsimialrly, Aodnit's own app will work with their styluses, but it's not as well developed or as useful as Procreate.[/quote]
That seems crazy, when other operating systems have had this baked in at the operating system level for a decade or more...

[quote="fogmeister wrote:
That's true but it would be possible for Apple to intercept the touches and the pencil at an OS level before passing it to an app.

If the pencil is connected and is one of the registered touches then only send that one to the app. That way the app wouldn't have to explicitly support it.

Could do even more if the app writer decided to support it also.

That is pretty much how other companies have done it up until now.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:27 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

paulzolo wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:
New AppleTV will definitely have a Plex app.

If it has an iPlayer App and a DLNA client app I could chuck at least couple of things under my TV away...

iPlayer will likely get me on board. However, the lack of a fibre optic port means that if I want music through the amp, I'll need to retain the current Apple TV for that. My amp is good, but doesn't have an HDMI port.

According to Macworld the Apple TV includes a USB-C port so I guess it's possible there may be other options for sound output rather than over HDMI although even if that's true it would mean additional cost on top of what is already going to be a fairly expensive 'box compared to the competition.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:23 am
What's a life?

IIRC the USB ports on the Apple TV have always been 'for service department use only' i.e. stuff like reflashing firmware and what have you. You've never been able to plug anything in that does something useful. That could change with this one of course.

You might be able to get a HDMI - > HDMI Passthrough and Optical Audio out breakout box, but that's another box and another thing that'll need a plug socket.

Or it's a feeble excuse to buy a new amp :D.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:38 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I haven't bothered watching the keynote, but what's the reason for adding storage of 32Gb or 64Gb - they made a big deal of removing storage when the 2nd generation came out to make it a streaming box. I'm assuming the storage is reserved for apps and games and not for general use like storing videos, music or photos?

In other news, I've noticed more and more films aren't now available to rent on my 1st generation AppleTV, just buying options are shown. No technical reason why they couldn't, other than Apple being Apple of course. Still, annoying all the same.

* Witty statement goes here *

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:14 am
What's a life?

steve74 wrote:
I haven't bothered watching the keynote, but what's the reason for adding storage of 32Gb or 64Gb - they made a big deal of removing storage when the 2nd generation came out to make it a streaming box. I'm assuming the storage is reserved for apps and games and not for general use like storing videos, music or photos?

Apps. That's pretty much it. The inbuilt storage isn't available for use as data storage at all according to the developer documentation - even if your app simply wants to save it's settings or config, that has to be done in iCloud. Which also suggests the new AppleTV will be sod all use if you don't have an iCloud account. Also Apps only get 200MB of space each - if you want to have more data than that (say graphics for a game) you have to set things up so you can request it off the internet as you use it. Which suggests to me there's no point buying the 64GB model unless you plan on buying a LOT of apps.

They may also use it for background caching of streaming media, but you can't store photos or movies say on the box at all.

steve74 wrote:
In other news, I've noticed more and more films aren't now available to rent on my 1st generation AppleTV, just buying options are shown. No technical reason why they couldn't, other than Apple being Apple of course. Still, annoying all the same.

I have no inside knowledge obviously but that may actually not be Apple's choice. The rights holders (i.e. TV and film studios) hold the rights and 'right to rent' is different to 'right to sell' - the studios have have specified a film is only available to rent for say a year after release and after that it's only available as a one off purchase.

There are also technical reasons why Apple might want to do things that way as well. I can't say which is actually the reason though.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

jonbwfc wrote:
I have no inside knowledge obviously but that may actually not be Apple's choice. The rights holders (i.e. TV and film studios) hold the rights and 'right to rent' is different to 'right to sell' - the studios have have specified a film is only available to rent for say a year after release and after that it's only available as a one off purchase.

Could be, though it's with the newer releases that I've noticed the missing rent option. For example, if I go to the "The Maze Runner" which was released to rent earlier this year - not that I particularly want to rent that one, but as an example - then the options are just to Buy, renting is missing for this title on the 1st Gen AppleTV, I'm pretty sure it's availble to rent on the newer AppleTVs though. Same with some of the other titles in the "New to rent" category. Yet, some new releases are availble to rent as well as buy. I could understand it if it was a global thing that affected all new releases, then you'd suspect either Apple or the studios have put a blanket ban on renting new titles. I suspect they're just gradually dropping support for certain titles in the hope that no one notices.

jonbwfc wrote:
There are also technical reasons why Apple might want to do things that way as well. I can't say which is actually the reason though.

If it's Apple, the reasons are pretty clear, built-in obsoleteness - especially since they've just updated their hardware! ;)

Oh well, I suppose the 1st gen AppleTV has had a good bite of the cherry really - I will keep mine as I have all my ripped DVDs stored on there. Will see what the prices are like on the newer models, although I'm thinking a ROKR, FireTV Stick or NowTV box might be a better investment.

* Witty statement goes here *

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:23 pm
What's a life?

steve74 wrote:
Could be, though it's with the newer releases that I've noticed the missing rent option. For example, if I go to the "The Maze Runner" which was released to rent earlier this year - not that I particularly want to rent that one, but as an example - then the options are just to Buy, renting is missing for this title on the 1st Gen AppleTV, I'm pretty sure it's availble to rent on the newer AppleTVs though.

Only available to buy via iTunes on the Mac...

steve74 wrote:
Same with some of the other titles in the "New to rent" category. Yet, some new releases are availble to rent as well as buy. I could understand it if it was a global thing that affected all new releases, then you'd suspect either Apple or the studios have put a blanket ban on renting new titles. I suspect they're just gradually dropping support for certain titles in the hope that no one notices.

Hah! Nothing about media rights licensing is simple and nothing about it applies globally. Licences are granted in particular territories for particular things and there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's simply down to what the content provider (e.g. Apple or Netflix) can negotiate with the rights holder in that territory, and that may be different to another territory even if the rights holder is the same company. I know someone who used to do rights management for music in video games, my lord some of the stuff he told me...

steve74 wrote:
jonbwfc wrote:

If it's Apple, the reasons are pretty clear, built-in obsoleteness - especially since they've just updated their hardware! ;)

It's possible, I'd be more certain if there was a blanket ban on renting anything on the V1 AppleTV. Streaming something and downloading something do have different network requirements though - the former has more 'quality of service' requirements than the latter and they can use different networking methodologies - so it's is possible there's a legit technical reason for it. We have no way of knowing though.

jonbwfc wrote:
Oh well, I suppose the 1st gen AppleTV has had a good bite of the cherry really - I will keep mine as I have all my ripped DVDs stored on there. Will see what the prices are like on the newer models, although I'm thinking a ROKR, FireTV Stick or NowTV box might be a better investment.

I bought a NowTV box (well for 20 quid why wouldn't you), I'm not right impressed by it tbh. Watching Sky stuff seems to work OK, but the apps feel very clunky and slow in general.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:51 pm
Site Admin

The Apple TV v1 had analogue outputs on it with no DRM.
Networks don't want people renting cheaply then copying them off

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2