Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Serif Affinity Photo 
Legend

Computer Active gave it a five star review and said 'a serious new rival to Photoshop for Mac users' and 'a full-blown pro photo editor for £40' :|

Just in case anyone's in the market...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:30 pm
What's a life?

Been using it since Beta times. It's very good, and it's sister app Affinity Designer is a very good Illustrator replacement. Waiting for their DTP app now.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 pm
What's a life?

Yeah, I've got the Beta.
Considering the upgrade here.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:33 pm

I have Photo here now. I've only had it a couple of weeks, and to be honest I don't work with the pooter as often as I used to so its not had a good workout yet.

I like what I see, though, and I may well get Designer whether I need it or not!

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:10 am
What's a life?

I've bought both and used them on a fairly limited basis - designing a few icons, that kind of stuff. They seem quiet competent and Serif's support for designer at least (too early to tell with photo) has been very good.

Plus if I give them some money that's less I have to give to Adobe, which suits me fine.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:40 am
What's a life?

Their bug fixing during the beta phase was very good. I reported a few, provided files, and they were generally fixed by the next beta.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

I see it supports CMYK which is a start. Does it offer spot colour channels?

Unfortunately the only way any of these alternative graphics applications will gain any ground is if they can import and export in the relevant Adobe native formats.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:
I see it supports CMYK which is a start. Does it offer spot colour channels?

Apparently not yet. It is on the roadmap, according to an official forum post from last year.

BigRedX wrote:
Unfortunately the only way any of these alternative graphics applications will gain any ground is if they can import and export in the relevant Adobe native formats.

It does have PSD support, although I don't think it supports photoshop plug ins. In the past though people might equally have said ''The only way any page design app will gain ground is if it supports Quark Express format import & export". These days, not so much. People will move to a new app if there's an obvious benefit to doing so - effort vs reward, basically.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:05 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

jonbwfc wrote:
It does have PSD support, although I don't think it supports photoshop plug ins. In the past though people might equally have said ''The only way any page design app will gain ground is if it supports Quark Express format import & export". These days, not so much. People will move to a new app if there's an obvious benefit to doing so - effort vs reward, basically.

Which is exactly what Adobe did with InDesign CS1. It was cheaper, better featured and it let you open all your old XPress documents with minimal formatting issues. Pretty much proving my point.

If you worked in total isolation (apart from sending print ready PDFs out) you could get away with an alternative supplier for your workflow applications, but if you need to share files with others then you need to be able to use the industry standard formats. One of the great things about the Adobe apps is they support each others native file formats so my InDesign documents are full of .psd and .ai native files. It's been ages since I last had to create .eps or .tiff files in order to place them in my page layout.

I'll be looking at the Serif properly when the Page Layout application is released, but it will still be along side Adobe (and still occasionally Quark XPress) rather than as replacements.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Apparently, it should support Photoshop plugins, but it's not something I have tried myself.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm
Occasionally has a life

They're currently offering a 10 day trial, in case anyone wanted to test it out...

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]