Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Bad Blocks 
What's a life?

Drive Genius reports 19 bad blocks on my system disc.

Best way forward?
Flatten it and restore from Time Machine?
New HD?
New 5k iMac? ;)

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:02 pm
What's a life?

ProfessorF wrote:
Drive Genius reports 19 bad blocks on my system disc.

Best way forward?
Flatten it and restore from Time Machine?

In theory if you do that the format process will mark the bad blocks as unusable and you'll be OK. However I suspect that is the first sign of a drive on the way out tbh so...

ProfessorF wrote:
New HD?

Depending on how easy it is to swap, obviously, but that's what I'd do. New HDD then as option 1. You'll probably also end up with more disk space than you had before, given how the prices of drives have plummeted recently. Possibly even consider an SSD?

ProfessorF wrote:
New 5k iMac? ;)

This will of course solve ALL your problems. Even those that have nothing to do with computers ;).

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:17 pm
What's a life?

I agree with Jon, bad sectors are the first signs of a disk going AWOL.

If you have a PC, you could try SpinRite on it, but it is probably cheaper / easier to get a new HD, or even an SSD to speed things up.

What is you current Mac? How much of an upgrade would a 5K iMac be? Nice display, but the last couple of processor generations haven't brought about much performance benefit.

My old iMac is just too slow, so not worth getting a new drive... In fact it is so slow, and hasn't had any security updates for over 18 months, I'm considering putting a lightweight Linux distribution on it - although I think the graphics card is on the way out, so unless I can find a cheap replacement graphics card for it, I might have to scrap it; a shame, the display is still working very nicely.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:23 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
Depending on how easy it is to swap, obviously, but that's what I'd do. New HDD then as option 1. You'll probably also end up with more disk space than you had before, given how the prices of drives have plummeted recently. Possibly even consider an SSD?

This is the way I think I'm going. 2TB SATA drive I think.

big_D wrote:
What is you current Mac? How much of an upgrade would a 5K iMac be? Nice display, but the last couple of processor generations haven't brought about much performance benefit.

It's a mid 2010 27" iMac 3.2GHz i3. The 5k would be significant. However, I can't raise the £2200 I need, and a 2TB HD can be under £100 at the moment.
So that's the choice, although the HD swap isn't trivial I don't think it's beyond my means. How to guide.

However, until payday on the 25th, I think I'll flatten the drive tomorrow and restore from Time Machine. Of course, this is happening when I've got a video edit to finish...

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]