Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Printer recommendations? 
Doesn't have much of a life

I just flipped out and picked up a black & white HP laser jet. It's wireless and £70. Set up with bonjour allows printing from other Apple devices, which saves someone emailing their print requirements from the sofa :) Smaller footprint than the Epson is a bonus and the print speed is positively electric in comparison.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:19 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

E. F. Benson wrote:
I have never owned a Canon printer, but noted that the ink jets aren't well regarded by Mac users. But that could be print drivers and Epson aren't good at that either.

Don't know where you have heard that.

I've owned two Canon Inkjets for use exclusively with Macs. I had to replace the first because it stopped printing CDs reliably, but that might have been because I printed getting on for 1000 CDs over the course of a couple of years.

My current one is a MP980 multi-fuction that I've been using for about 7 years. It has printed way more than 1000 CDs in that time, as well as 1000s of plain paper pages and hundreds of photographic prints. It also produces excellent quality scans in Photoshop via a TWAIN driver from both reflective material as well as 35mm transparencies and negatives. I used it to scan 700 photographs from various sources for a book I produced recently. I even used it as a photocopier once!

There are fairly regular driver updates from Apple Software Update, although all the ones I've had installed have worked as described.

The only thing I haven't been able to do with it is to access the built-in card reader from the Mac, but that might be due the fact that I connect via ethernet rather than directly through USB, so the card reader appears as a server to the Macs and wants a user name and password in order to connect.

I would have no hesitation in buying another Canon Inkjet printer to replace this, if necessary. Unfortunately last time I looked there wasn't one in the current line up that did all the extra things I wanted - CD printing, transparency and slide scanning. If you don't need all these esoteric functions I'm sure that there will be a Canon model to suit your needs.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Legend

Just FYI for anyone thinking of getting a printer

New PIXMA printers arrive with cloud Instagram, SlideShare printing | TechRadar
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ng-1302027

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2