Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
New Monitor 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hi,

I'm looking for a new monitor. I'm learning Unity 3D and am getting rather serious about it. As you probably know, I'm currently running dual 22" monitors, both running at 1860 x 1050 but the editor is a bit cramped, to say the least. I am also looking at the Blender software package, and it looks like I'm going to have the same problem with that. I've found a monitor on Amazon, but wanted to know if anyone here has one, or has tried one, or has any opinions on it, one way or the other. The monitor is a ViewSonic VX2880ml 28 inch 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor and here is the link: Amazon Link

Thanks in advance,

John.

EDIT to add: I've found this one, which may be better Acer 4k2k CB280HK 28" Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 am
Profile WWW

Can't say I've seen or used either but I'd have some concerns with the Viewsonic as it only seems to be capable of 30Hz refresh which is likely to make anything with movement appear a bit juddery.

What's your actual budget?
If you are used to working on dual screens would you better stepping up to 2 24" 1920x1200 screens? Likely to cost a bit more than a single 4k screen but will actually have a slightly higher resolution.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:05 am

davrosG5 wrote:
Can't say I've seen or used either but I'd have some concerns with the Viewsonic as it only seems to be capable of 30Hz refresh which is likely to make anything with movement appear a bit juddery.

What's your actual budget?
If you are used to working on dual screens would you better stepping up to 2 24" 1920x1200 screens? Likely to cost a bit more than a single 4k screen but will actually have a slightly higher resolution.

Yeah, I'm not going with the Viewsonic. I only kept it in the post in case someone was in the process of replying... I didn't want to cause any confusion.

I'll be using the new monitor either as a replacement for one of the existing ones or, more likely, as a third monitor, which I think answers your resolution point.

Budget? Not really got one. Mrs V has said that it's my Christmas present, so it's not really an issue.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:17 am
Profile WWW

Can't really help that much.
I recently took delivery of a NEC PA272W and it's a gorgeous display but perhaps a bit pricey. For photography though it's amazing.
Also had a Dell UltraSharp U2413 which was also pretty good once it was calibrated but it developed a weird power fault where it would freeze up and need to be rest by pulling the power :?

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:13 am

Obviously, if anyone has any suggestions for a monitor that will give the same resolution, but not for silly money, please feel free to chip in!

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:30 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

DEpends what you call silly money. I have a Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor. £400 ish from amazon.

Needs display port for full resolution, and a highish end graphic card to play hi res games. But for office work and coding it's brilliant to have the screen space.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:41 pm

mikepgood wrote:
DEpends what you call silly money. I have a Samsung U28D590D 28 inch Ultra HDMI Monitor. £400 ish from amazon.

Needs display port for full resolution, and a highish end graphic card to play hi res games. But for office work and coding it's brilliant to have the screen space.

£400 is not what I'd call silly money. Double that and yeah, that is a bit... I've got an Nvidia GTX 760, which should be fine. I'll have a look at the Samsung, as I think that might be the one I can get from Aria, for about the same, but I've just found out that my car is going to cost £450 to fix, so I'm not very happy at the moment. I'll have a coofee then look again.

By the way, thanks Mike :D

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

4k for £400-450 seems reasonable, Samsung and Asus have models in that price point, I use a Dell U2713HM as my main screen and would get another but I know they are considered 'old' now

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 pm
What's a life?

Be careful, the cheap 4K monitors are usually not 4K video compatible (remember the hassles with "HD Ready"?) and the cheaper ones usually only support 30Hz, not 60Hz, which means even scrolling and moving the mouse around is jerky, let alone watching video or a game.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 am
Profile ICQ

According to the tech specs, the Acer monitor does 60Hz using Display Port, which is handy as it's either that or HDMI, as they're the only ports left on my PC.

Fin, I did look at some others, but a few I looked at couldn't be wall mounted, which is a deal breaker for me.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

I've ordered the Acer 4k2k CB280HK 28" Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor from Scan, and that should be delivered on Tuesday.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

John_Vella wrote:
Fin, I did look at some others, but a few I looked at couldn't be wall mounted, which is a deal breaker for me.

I went the other way and looked at ones I could desk mount with an arm for adjustment (plan to get 3 or 4 screens, possibly a 2x2 format)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:44 pm

finlay666 wrote:
I went the other way and looked at ones I could desk mount with an arm for adjustment (plan to get 3 or 4 screens, possibly a 2x2 format)

In an ideal world, I would have done the same, but since my PC is set up in the corner of the living room and space is at a premium, wall mounting was the only option. Unless the wife sees the size of the new monitor and "suggests" that I reclaim the computer room, (now known as the "crap cupboard").

Not that I'm trying to subconsciously manipulate her... ;)

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Q: Whatcha doin' with Unity JV?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:00 pm

At the moment, nothing much, as I was distracted with the whole "hackintoshing my pc" project, but aside from that I'd just followed a couple of tutorials to get a feel for how it works.

Looks very promising and I'm looking forward to picking it up when I get some time.

Have you tried it and if so what have you used it for?

Sent from my big ass Sony Xperia Z Ultra tabphonelet, using Tapatalk 4.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]