Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bios update question? 
Occasionally has a life

Hey everyone. Been a looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time since I posted anything on here, but I had a quick IT query and thought this might be the best place to get it answered.

Just updated the bios on my motherboard as I'm going to be installing a new CPU on Tuesday which required it. Now, I haven't updated a bios since the days of socket A, and my pc actually having a floppy disc drive. Back then it seemed pretty straight forward and trouble free from what I can remember.

This time seemed to be the same. All went well. The bios seems to work fine, which I'm assuming would be the obvious sign that my motherboard isn't bricked. However when booting in to windows I instantly got a BSOD. First I've ever seen in the 4 years or so I've had this system. After rebooting a few times with the same problem I tried doing a repair install on windows and booting from a system restore point; not thinking for a minute that would help (because why would it?). But it seems to have, and after having to reinstall my graphics driver everything is working fine.

My question is why? Why would using a restore point have any effect on the situation, and when I do install the new CPU (and graphics card too as it happens) am I likely to have more problems and perhaps have to reinstall windows? Something I'd really rather not have to do, as currently I have no DVD drive because mine is out on loan to friend (long story). Also I know windows 7 can be funny about the number of times you reinstall it. And who can be bothered with that kind of thing anyway?

Any advice appreciated.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:44 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Sounds like the bios update has reset something in the actual bios software - maybe the boot screen option?

Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Or something in the power section. Doesn't changing acpi cause that sometimes?

Sent from my big ass Sony Xperia Z Ultra tabphonelet, using Tapatalk 4.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Can't think it has anything to do with the bios settings themselves as I haven't changed those and it's working perfectly now. Think it should be ok, and I'll cross the reinstalling windows bridge if and when I come to it. I was just a little worried I'd bricked the motherboard for about 10 mins. Now I'm just confused as to why all is fine after reverting to a restore point.

Like so many times before and feeling a bead of sweat form on his sun-beaten brow, the dog launched himself upwards, jaws open, full of expectation edged with uncertainty, to retrieve the flying disc from it's azimuth; no dog had done this before.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Electric_Wizard wrote:
Can't think it has anything to do with the bios settings themselves as I haven't changed those and it's working perfectly now. Think it should be ok, and I'll cross the reinstalling windows bridge if and when I come to it. I was just a little worried I'd bricked the motherboard for about 10 mins. Now I'm just confused as to why all is fine after reverting to a restore point.

It's not necessarily something you've changed. Flashing the BIOS would revert the settings back to default. If you'd changed something before you installed Windows and it was changed back, that could affect it.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

So would using a windows system restore point, also revert any bios changes back to what they were pre update? That's what's confusing.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:47 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Electric_Wizard wrote:
So would using a windows system restore point, also revert any bios changes back to what they were pre update? .

No, as the bios it nothing to do with operating system - Windows or otherwise.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Well, exactly. Hence my confusion.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 pm

I think what John means is that the system restore doesn't affect the bios, but if you'd made changes to the bios, installed Windows then restored the bios to its default settings, which flashing it would do, this might stop windows from starting up correctly.

Sent from my big ass Sony Xperia Z Ultra tabphonelet, using Tapatalk 4.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

Yeah, I know. But I haven't altered a single setting in the bios since flashing it, and everything works now.

Just one of life's mysteries I guess. New cpu is in now and working perfectly without any need for re installing, so all's well that ends well.

Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:20 pm
Site Admin

Electric_Wizard wrote:
Yeah, I know. But I haven't altered a single setting in the bios since flashing it, and everything works now.

I'd hazard a guess at the time & date reset when you flashed it and this caused Windows to throw a strop. As soon as Windows eventually fixed itself and came online then it updated the BIOS time & date and it sorted everything out

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Occasionally has a life

That makes sense I guess. Ahhh windows. What are you all about?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]