Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Watchkit is available 
What's a life?

https://developer.apple.com/watchkit/

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:53 pm
What's a life?

Interesting - from what I gather, you can on,y make dumb apps - that is ones which extend iPhone apps. So, as Oli and I were discussion elsewhere, my clock face would have to work based on a master App running on an iPhone. Standalone apps will happen later in 2015.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:24 pm
What's a life?

More interesting as I think about this more. The Apple Watch is basically a terminal/controller for an iPhone, with some extra bits added for functionality. Think about that a minute.

Now consider the notion that if your keyboard had the same relationship with your Mac (or PC), being a touch screen controller, a whole world of stuff can open up. The keyboard would change depending on the app running on your Mac. For example, a finger painting like mixer for applications like Photoshop, a proper way to access all those much loved but hard to get glyphs in Illustrator. The keyboard would literally become a dynamic controller.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am
What's a life?

There's a riotously expensive keyboard where each key is actually a small colour LCD and can effectively be 'context sensitive'. Are you considering the Apple watch to be something similar to a touchpad version of that?

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:27 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
There's a riotously expensive keyboard where each key is actually a small colour LCD and can effectively be 'context sensitive'. Are you considering the Apple watch to be something similar to a touchpad version of that?

I’ve seen the keyboard - and it looked great. It seems that the Watch relies a lot on apps on your phone to function - indeed, their HIG introduction says:
Quote:
A Watch app complements your iOS app; it does not replace it. If you measure interactions with your iOS app in minutes, you can expect interactions with your Watch app to be measured in seconds. So interactions need to be brief and interfaces need to be simple.

https://developer.apple.com/library/pre ... 92-CH3-SW1

Also, on the very next page, right at the top, the following is made very clear:
Quote:
Apple Watch must be paired with the user’s iPhone for your app to run.

So your Watch is a small touch interface to bigger things on the phone.

Also this:
Quote:
Create prerendered animations using a sequence of static images. Store canned animations in your Watch app bundle so that they can be presented quickly to the user. Canned animations also let you deliver high frame rates and smoother animations. Creating animations dynamically from your WatchKit extension and transferring them to Apple Watch adds a delay before playback can begin.

https://developer.apple.com/library/pre ... 92-CH7-SW1

My thoughts on the keyboard would be an Apple Watch-like device - basically a keyboard-sized screen (think long, thin iPad) which worked as a normal keyboard but which would change as apps required. No need for a separate mouse, as it would handle touch gestures as well. Currently, this would be an expensive device to make, but the Watch indicates this kind of thinking.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

The keyboard you mentioned...

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/

Also, the watch atm is apps that run on the phone and display data onto the watch.

Eventually it will have full blown apps running on the watch itself. But I don't know how tied down they will be. The interface looks fairly restricted in what you can do.

JJW009 wrote:
The count will go up until they stop counting. That's the way counting works.

Doodle Sub!
Game Of Life

Image Image

Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]