Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mac OS 10.10 
What's a life?

For those that haven't seen, OSX 10.10 Yosemite is now available to download from the app store, for free. The iWork apps also got an update to go along with it to support the Continuity feature with iOS 8.1, which goes up on Monday.

John Siracusa's unfeasibly detailed review of 10.10 is here

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:26 am
What's a life?

And just like Mountain Lion and Mavericks, I can't install it on my Mac. I'll be staying with Windows 8 on it.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
And just like Mountain Lion and Mavericks, I can't install it on my Mac.

Right. So given you haven't been able to install the last two versions of Mac OS, what would make you think that you might be able to install this one?

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:26 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

My Mac should be back with me next week so I'll pop 10.10 on it then.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

Installed it relatively late last night after a few false starts due to [LIFTED] internet. Early impressions are entirely ambivalent so far, will report back when an opinion has been formed

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:45 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
big_D wrote:
And just like Mountain Lion and Mavericks, I can't install it on my Mac.

Right. So given you haven't been able to install the last two versions of Mac OS, what would make you think that you might be able to install this one?

Because the last 2 releases of Windows have needed lower and lower hardware requirements.

When I bought the Mac, everybody told me that Macs lasted longer than Windows PCs. So far I have been a little disappointed. My 2004 laptop from Acer still works and runs Windows 7 which will be supported by Microsoft until 2020. Apple have already stopped supporting my iMac.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:32 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life

No-one really NEEDS the latest OS.

For over 90% of what I do I could still get away with a Mac running OS9, Quark XPress 4, Photoshop 5, Illustrator 8 and Logic 4.

My 8 Core Mac Pro (which incidentally is too old to run Mavericks or Yosemite) will continue to run Mountain Lion, Adobe CS5 and Logic 9 until either unfixable hardware failure or supplier pressure to up grade to an unsupported version of an application forces me to upgrade everything.

Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 pm
Profile WWW

I'll be installing it on my VMWare machine, which is currently running Mavericks, once I have cloned the machine... just in case.

Having said that, I've been running the Tech Preview, or beta, or whatever it's called for some time now, with no problem...

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:31 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It breaks my Wacom Intuos 2 tablet. I got told that the current driver is incompatible, so I installed the latest driver from Wacom, only for the control panel to tell me that no compatible tablet could be found.

It seems that re-installing their 6.20 drivers will work, but the control panel is non functional, so you’re running on defaults.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:56 am

paulzolo wrote:
It breaks my Wacom Intuos 2 tablet. I got told that the current driver is incompatible, so I installed the latest driver from Wacom, only for the control panel to tell me that no compatible tablet could be found.

It seems that re-installing their 6.20 drivers will work, but the control panel is non functional, so you’re running on defaults.

Mavericks (or lack of support from Wacom) broke my Bamboo Fun Medium. I thought at first the pen was broken and bought a new tablet but that had the same issue. I returned it and gave up using it.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

It's always the peripherals that have problems, in my experience. I haven't looked at it, but I suspect Apple's hardware driver documentation and their reporting of changes at the kernel level... leave something to be desired. Having said that, Yosemite has been in beta for quite some time, so the likes of Wacom have had a chance to get their ducks in order.

Jon

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:07 pm
What's a life?

BigRedX wrote:

For over 90% of what I do I could still get away with a Mac running OS9, Quark XPress 4, Photoshop 5, Illustrator 8 and Logic 4.

Yes, but have a safe and secure machine would be useful.

The last security update was January. There doesn't seem to have been a patch for Heartbleed or Shellshock, for example.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:54 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
The last security update was January. There doesn't seem to have been a patch for Heartbleed or Shellshock, for example.

Mac OS? There definitely has been. I posted where to download a shellshock fix in a different thread.

If what you're actually complaining about is that the version of Mac OS you're running that's unsupported is unsupported, well, yeah.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 pm
What's a life?

jonbwfc wrote:
Mac OS? There definitely has been. I posted where to download a shellshock fix in a different thread.

If what you're actually complaining about is that the version of Mac OS you're running that's unsupported is unsupported, well, yeah.

Yeah, shellshock was patched.
Heartbleed - this site has an explanation.
This is also illuminating.

Charlie Brooker wrote:
Windows works for me. But I'd never recommend it to anybody else, ever.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

big_D wrote:
BigRedX wrote:

Yes, but have a safe and secure machine would be useful.

The most recent Security Updates for Mountain Lion and Mavericks was last week.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next