Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Windows 10 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

So... It's finally here. Anybody else going to try the Technical Preview of Windows 10?

I've installed it in VMWare and from the little play time I've had so far it does look rather nice. The wallpaper is a bit rubbish, but I've changed that, and the live tiles in the start menu could be very interesting.

From what I've seen so far I may well treat myself to a new SSD and triple boot with Windows 7 and OS X

So, again... Anyone else trying it or have any thoughts on the matter?

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Had a play with it this morning on a spare works PC.

First impression was it is Win 8.1 with a slightly glossy coating - struggled to find any changes from 8.1. Yes the Start menu is there but you still have to faff around in Control Panel to get it to look like the Win7 look.

Installed a few programs we use at work on it and it seems to work fine.

Got to have a bigger look into it when get the time.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:44 pm
Profile WWW

I actually like how the start menu looks now. Those live tiles could be really useful, especially if you're into social networking or news.

I've noticed a couple of things that don't work, as I would expect. Amiga Forever, (it's an emaluator which allows me to play the greatest game ever - Dino Dini's Kick Off!) for example, isn't giving me full screen on all games, as it did in Windows 7.

Oh well. This is what Technical Previews are for.

I'll notify Microsoft once I get my dual boot set up, so I can comparatively test it in Windows 7 & 10.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:31 pm
Profile WWW

I've just installed Build 10049, which introduces the Spartan web browser.

Not sure if anyone else has tried it yet, but aside from a couple of hiccups whilst trying to find the latest Visual Studio preview, it does seem rather good.

Not sure how effective the notes feature, (you can draw notes onto any web page) is going to be, unless you have a stylus/pen, as it just looked rubbish when I tried writing, using my mouse.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:48 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has tried it yet, but aside from a couple of hiccups whilst trying to find the latest Visual Studio preview, it does seem rather good.

Not sure how effective the notes feature, (you can draw notes onto any web page) is going to be, unless you have a stylus/pen, as it just looked rubbish when I tried writing, using my mouse.

Erm, Microsoft explicitly said that 10049 doesn't work with Visual Studio and beta testers who are also developing should move to the slower release ring and avoid 10049.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 am
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
John_Vella wrote:

Erm, Microsoft explicitly said that 10049 doesn't work with Visual Studio and beta testers who are also developing should move to the slower release ring and avoid 10049.

It's definitely working, Dave. Visual Studio 2015 Ultimate Preview Edition running on Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049. I'm running it now.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:09 pm
Profile WWW

Can't wait to try it - once it's ready ;)

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... available/

Quote:
  • After logging in, you may see a blue screen instead of your desktop. To work around this issue, lock your PC (with the hardware button or by pressing the Windows Key + L) and try logging in again. You can also try Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
  • Indexing of new email in Outlook is not working, so search results will be limited to when the last index was built.
  • UPDATE: You cannot enable Hyper-V on this build. If you have Hyper-V already enabled and you upgrade to this build, Hyper-V will continue to work. If you have Virtual Machines hosted in Hyper-V on your PC running Windows 10, you will want to move to the Slow ring and wait for the next build as this build breaks the ability to run VMs.
  • There are 2 issues using Visual Studio 2015 preview on this build:
    • The emulators will not boot and you won’t be able to deploy a Windows Universal app to the Mobile emulator.
    • The XAML designer in VS and Blend will crash when opened.
    • If you are a developer using these tools today to develop Windows Universal apps and need this functionality to work – we recommend switching to the Slow ring until we release a patch to fix these issues.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:49 pm
Site Admin

I've reserved a Free copy so fingers crossed. :?

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

AlunD wrote:

I know that the upgrade should be free, but what do you mean reserved a free copy?

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

John_Vella wrote:
AlunD wrote:

I know that the upgrade should be free, but what do you mean reserved a free copy?

An icon has appeared at the bottom right hand corner of my task bar offering to reserve me a free upgrade. 3Gb download so my 37Mb bandwidth might actually have a use. :D

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Yeah, I suspect the 'reservation' is so they have some idea how much data they're going to be shifting on launch day. Free version of Windows has never happened before..

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 pm

According to one of the commenters over at the Hexus.net website the Win 10 reservation thing is added by KB3035583 although looking on the MS website suggests this is adds additional notification options to Windows Update and doesn't explicitly mention Win10.

jonbwfc wrote:
Yeah, I suspect the 'reservation' is so they have some idea how much data they're going to be shifting on launch day. Free version of Windows has never happened before..

Good idea if that's what it's actually for.

As with any major OS update it's probably wise to hold off for a bit to see what happens.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:43 pm
What's a life?

Probably also so that you get the key in time for the installation.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:21 pm
Profile ICQ

AlunD wrote:
John_Vella wrote:
AlunD wrote:

An icon has appeared at the bottom right hand corner of my task bar offering to reserve me a free upgrade. 3Gb download so my 37Mb bandwidth might actually have a use. :D

Just did a Windows update, and reserved my free upgrade... Ooh, exciting times lol

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Legend

Worst Windows 10 sacrifices - Feature - PC Advisor
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/wind ... ily%20news

Quote:
Worst Windows 10 sacrifices: Automatic updates

Not a missing feature, but a change few will welcome. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions of Widows 10 will both give the end user or network admin the opportunity to decide when updates are installed, Windows 10 Home users have no control. Windows Updates will be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available. This is a classic Microsoft move: it probably makes sense for the entire herd to be immune from security flaws, but end users will not like being forced to install updates at Microsoft's will.

We will reserve judgment until we see how it works, but for now we will say that the idea of automiatic Windows Updates sounds like a recipe for horror and disaster!

So that's probably me not getting Windows 10 if that's the case. If they didn't hobble my computers whilst just downloading they did it after installation. I haven't received updates in years as a result and I've been absolutely fine. Meanwhile a guy in work saw all his Word docs go tits up recently after an update.

If I had to guess, they'll eventually give you the option to update when you want. After you install the update that gives you updating choice :roll:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next