Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Google Sells Motorola Mobile 
What's a life?

To Lenovo for $4billion

$9billion loss. They can afford it but... ouch. They get to keep most of the patents, but still, they don't seem to have proved that useful so far...

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 pm
What's a life?

Less the 3 bn so they got for the set top business, less the couple of billion in tax write offs, plus the huge patent Portfolio - Lenovo only get 2000 patents, the rest stay with Google, which was the main point of the purchase in the first place.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:19 pm
Profile ICQ
Legend

Yes the rest of the business was probably written down to book value for Google already and so it might still be worth while for Google, especially if they can get Lenovo to make Android phones as part of the deal.

"You are gifted. Mine is bordering on seven seconds."

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg5MzczNTk

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwx404couk-21

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:12 pm
What's a life?

Lenovo are already the 5th largest smartphone maker.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
Less the 3 bn so they got for the set top business, less the couple of billion in tax write offs, plus the huge patent Portfolio - Lenovo only get 2000 patents, the rest stay with Google, which was the main point of the purchase in the first place.

Given every time they've been tested in court the patents have been ruled against, I'm not sure they're actually worth near enough to make the overall deal break even.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:30 pm
What's a life?

If they get Motorola Mobility, then it will bump Lenovo from number 5 smartphone producer to number 3, behind Samsung and Apple, leapfrogging Chinese rival Huawei.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:48 am
Profile ICQ
I haven't seen my friends in so long

jonbwfc wrote:
big_D wrote:

Given every time they've been tested in court the patents have been ruled against, I'm not sure they're actually worth near enough to make the overall deal break even.

Or the other patents are considered to be too strong to warrant risking infringement? You only risk infringement if you think you have a reasonable chance of getting it invalidated.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 am
What's a life?

bobbdobbs wrote:
Or the other patents are considered to be too strong to warrant risking infringement? You only risk infringement if you think you have a reasonable chance of getting it invalidated.

Fair point. It would make the value of them very hard to quantify though, since its unlikely any of the major players would publicise when they didn't do something for fear of infringing someone else's patent.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:57 am
Legend

"You are gifted. Mine is bordering on seven seconds."

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTg5MzczNTk

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/wwwx404couk-21

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]