Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Router or powerline? 
What's a life?

Still settling in to the new house but I'm trying to work out a few things. Part of which is the wifi/network set up.

In my parents' house, everything was simple. The router was in my bedroom along with all the gadgets. PS3, NAS, WDTV, Roomie and desktop were plugged into the router (via a 5-port switch). Everything else was wirelessly connected ie printer/smartphones/laptops.

Now, we've moved, and I've gone with Virgin for BB which means the router can either sit in the living room or in the boxroom upstairs - the only two places with a cable connection. The boxroom will be made into an office/spare bedroom. The cable router sits here. The laptop, NAS and printer will go here. The master bedroom will have the WDTV and Roomie boxes. The TV will be upgraded to a smart TV when funds allow which could remove the need for both devices at some point in the future. The living room/lounge will need the PS3 as well as maybe a PVR. The TV will also be upgraded to smart.

So either I'm looking at a router in the bedroom and in the living room to expand the network, or I'm looking at powerline type stuff. Wifi isn't a massive issue since the signal is pretty good throughout the house. Ideally I would love to have ethernet ports throughout the house but not practical.

I know some of the powerline type stuff have multiple ports to allow more than once device, and some can even offer wifi or a plug socket so you don't lose a socket due to it.

What should I be looking at? In this day and age, I would like to be able to watch streaming video on all devices either from NAS or from the internet via net apps.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:56 pm
What's a life?

Best speed powerline should be good enough. Don't feel the need to pay extra for powerline adapters with multiple network ports, you can get a cheap 8 port gigabit network hub for little more than a tenner which will give you all the ports you need. Plug the hub into the powerline then the things into the hub. if you get the powerline adapters with pass through, you don't even need another socket.

Jon

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:55 pm
What's a life?

Yup I was looking at adaptors with pass through sockets because in the master bedroom there's only a single socket where the TV is. I would have to plug in an extension socket for stuff like the TV anyway.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:41 pm
Site Admin

Personally I'd put the vm router in to modem mode, connect a proper router to it for doing the routing then a mix of wifi & power line across the house.

Or just pull cat5 around the house terminating in the man cave.

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Cat5 around the house would involve a lot of work if I wanted it done properly so I wouldn't bother unless I was rewiring the house. At which point there'd be Cat5 in every room. Including the bathroom.

The "superhub" is the VMDG490. Does dual band and ac. Need to do some proper testing to see how good it is first.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]