Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Send OSX notifications to an email address 
Author Message
Doesn't have much of a life
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 655
Reply with quote
Is there any way of sending specific OSX notifications to an email address so they can be see on another Mac?

I'm setting up an OSX server which will be mostly run in headless mode, and it is connected to a RAID drive that sends notifications about its status. I would like to be able to get these notifications sent to an email address so they can be seen on another Mac.

A quick Google hasn't revealed anything, anyone know any better?

_________________
UltraSonic f***erPhonic ZombieShockin TrailerRockin BabyBoomin GaitorGroomin InterStellar LadyRaiders


Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm
Posts: 17040
Reply with quote
I think there's an app (both OS X and iOS) called PushBullet that may do some good. Possibly also if there's an OS X IFTTT app?


Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:15 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 pm
Posts: 8595
Location: location, location
Reply with quote
I think OSX server should be able to email you these directly or push them to your iOS device

_________________
Support X404, use our Amazon link
Get your X404 tat here
jonlumb wrote:
I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.


Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 655
Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I don't want to push the notifications just to an iOS device. They need to go to an email address so that they can be picked up on multiple devices at different locations. I'll look at PushBullet but the info on it is minimal and from what I can see it doesn't do what I need.

Any simpler and more obvious solutions?

_________________
UltraSonic f***erPhonic ZombieShockin TrailerRockin BabyBoomin GaitorGroomin InterStellar LadyRaiders


Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 pm
Posts: 8595
Location: location, location
Reply with quote
Use the OSX server built in notifications to send emails?

My old Mountain Lion server used to send emails about things

_________________
Support X404, use our Amazon link
Get your X404 tat here
jonlumb wrote:
I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.


Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:43 pm
Posts: 1787
Location: Manchester
Reply with quote
Have a read here...

http://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/4.0 ... DC5FCF7117

Quote:
Use the Server app to change the email addresses OS X Server sends alerts to.

Select Alerts in the Server app sidebar.

Click Delivery to open the Delivery pane.

Click Edit next to Email Addresses.

Enter the email address you want alerts sent to.

Click OK.

_________________
* Steve *

* Witty statement goes here *


Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 pm
Profile
What's a life?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:25 pm
Posts: 10638
Location: Bramsche
Reply with quote
saspro wrote:
Use the OSX server built in notifications to send emails?

My old Mountain Lion server used to send emails about things

What he said.

Although we have a flotilla of servers on different platforms. To manage them, we use Nagios in a PC with an GSM-card and SIM card with SMS flat rate. We get emails about normal messages, about things such as backup status etc. but SMS warnings about critical failures in the infrastructure.

_________________
"Do you know what this is? Hmm? No, I can see you do not. You have that vacant look in your eyes, which says hold my head to your ear, you will hear the sea!" - Londo Molari

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246


Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 am
Profile ICQ
Doesn't have much of a life
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am
Posts: 655
Reply with quote
steve74 wrote:
Have a read here...

http://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/4.0 ... DC5FCF7117

Quote:
Use the Server app to change the email addresses OS X Server sends alerts to.

Select Alerts in the Server app sidebar.

Click Delivery to open the Delivery pane.

Click Edit next to Email Addresses.

Enter the email address you want alerts sent to.

Click OK.


That's excellent for alerts specific to the Mac Server application. However AFAICS the RAID alerts are Apple notifications only and something like one drive of the mirror has failed only shows up in Notifications and not in the server alerts.

_________________
UltraSonic f***erPhonic ZombieShockin TrailerRockin BabyBoomin GaitorGroomin InterStellar LadyRaiders


Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 pm
Posts: 8595
Location: location, location
Reply with quote
BigRedX wrote:
steve74 wrote:
Have a read here...

http://help.apple.com/serverapp/mac/4.0 ... DC5FCF7117

Quote:
Use the Server app to change the email addresses OS X Server sends alerts to.

Select Alerts in the Server app sidebar.

Click Delivery to open the Delivery pane.

Click Edit next to Email Addresses.

Enter the email address you want alerts sent to.

Click OK.


That's excellent for alerts specific to the Mac Server application. However AFAICS the RAID alerts are Apple notifications only and something like one drive of the mirror has failed only shows up in Notifications and not in the server alerts.


Use Automator to send them as an email? (Never tried this but should work).

Or use a 3rd party monitoring tool

_________________
Support X404, use our Amazon link
Get your X404 tat here
jonlumb wrote:
I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.


Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.