Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Network and MESH help 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Morning all

So a bit of network help

I have just installed a mesh wifi network in my house (Tendu Nova MW5) and it works well with wifi over the whole house and at a good speed – so removing the need for Powerline Adaptors and having to change wifi as you walk around the house

However (as is always the case) it has thrown up new issues

The issue is that I now can’t see my NAS drive (Synology 214play) from my laptop (via wifi) (I can see it from the main PC and the tablets etc have a web based app)
I assume some form of Port forwarding on my VM router might fix it but not sure what ports to open
The reason the printer is still connected to the old VM wifi is that it wont connect to the Mesh as it sees it as an access point (I think it’s an issue with the printer - canon MX925) and can live with this

Ideally I would like to
- See the NAS from the Laptop (via the MESH wifi) and (re)set it up as a network drive
- Print from the laptop (via MESH wifi)

I could do both of these under the original setup

(VM = Virgin Media)
== Ethernet connection
--- wifi connection

Original setup

VM Router === WIRED==Main PC, NAS, Powerline Adaptor , Switch (in living room)
--- WIFI ---- Printer, Laptop (plus normal tablets etc)

New Setup

VM Router === WIRED == Main PC, NAS, MESH, Switch (in living room)
--- WIFi --- Printer
MESH (Wifi) --- Laptop, Tablets etc

Ta

Would be happy, if that's the best option, to install a "dumb" switch between the VM Router and all the other wired connections (and can test it by borrowing the switch from the living room) so everything would hang off the switch rather than the VM router

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am
Site Admin

Can you hard wire the NAS?

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:54 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

saspro wrote:
Can you hard wire the NAS?

The NAS is hardwired via the VM router

However I have fixed it (almost)

the MESH wifi was not in bridge mode - which I ahve now done - so only the VM router is running DHCP
Unfortunately I lose the mesh "Guest wifi" as that is switched off when in bridge mode - but I can run that from the VM box and most people I would give the "Guest" to I would happily give the main wifi password to

However the Printer still wont connect so i have to run the VM to give wifi to the printer (but switched off the ssid broadcast)

So I now have a mesh system that gives me a good speed c70 MBps in the living room and 35Mbpsin the far bedroom (compared to 20 & 0 - although 20 ish with a powerline adaptor)

Oh yes and I can now access the NAS from the laptop so the backups are now taking place

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]