Reply to topic  [ 4412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 295  Next
The TV thread 
Legend

The Defenders - not as drawn out as the previous 3 shows, but the leads are still having a fake argument every episode just to fill time.

Iron Fist is still... Why do they persist with making him so unlikable? His script is awful even in comparison to some of the dull platitudes Cage uttered in his show.

And Fist is at the heart of this story which nearly kills it stone dead. The other characters continually take the piss out of him, one way or another; the writers know he's weak as sh1t. Which is ironic. No joke, of the entire team, Jessica Jones is a more effective fighter in this!

Speaking of fights, some of them are great, and some of them are the weakest across the board. As mentioned, Fist is next to useless here. But no matter what, the average fight scene is shot in the dark. By the final battle you don't give a toss.

And again, way too many side characters, all muttering the same stock replies you've heard 3 times in every episode of every series! Misty endlessly tells people she needs answers and that they should turn themselves in. Claire spends all her time talking to self-doubting/destructung heroes. Even though they've no reason to be at this point.

It's marginally better than the previous three shows because it's only 8 episodes long, but even that's too much.

They absolutely need to change the writers for Iron Fist. He is limited in every way at the moment for reasons I can't fathom.

Hopefully they'll move on to the activities of Kingpin, or anyone else bar the fcuking Hand.

Punisher needs to work more than ever before - professional critics aren't making excuses any more, not even for this much shorter series.

Periphery sidekicks need to go. Claire, Misty and the rest are so played out you can guess what they'll say five minutes before they utter it. And you really do have to wait five minutes for those little pearls of wisdom.

The villains have gone from enigmatic mysteries to villain of the week in the Highlander TV show if you've ever seen it. Again, they're just filling time now.

Urgh. I was hoping Defenders was the breakpoint after so many character introductions, but it's clear it was almost a reintroduction to them for the upcoming sequel shows.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:06 am

THIS POST CONTAINS MILD SPOILERS

Sorry man but I find myself disagreeing with you on almost every point you make in this post.

pcernie wrote:
Iron Fist is still... Why do they persist with making him so unlikable? His script is awful even in comparison to some of the dull platitudes Cage uttered in his show.

And Fist is at the heart of this story which nearly kills it stone dead. The other characters continually take the piss out of him, one way or another; the writers know he's weak as sh1t. Which is ironic. No joke, of the entire team, Jessica Jones is a more effective fighter in this!
Why did you expect so much of a change from his individual show to this one?
Of all the characters during The Defenders, Iron Fist actually had the most growth - mostly because he was a one-note character in his own show, but in Defenders he actually starts to take stock of his position internally and externally.

pcernie wrote:
Speaking of fights, some of them are great, and some of them are the weakest across the board. As mentioned, Fist is next to useless here. But no matter what, the average fight scene is shot in the dark. By the final battle you don't give a toss.
I'm not going to list all fight scenes here, I'll just say that Danny fighting The Hand in the board room of Midland Circle is probably one of the best fights in the show, and that's before the rest of the team shows up.

pcernie wrote:
And again, way too many side characters, all muttering the same stock replies you've heard 3 times in every episode of every series! Misty endlessly tells people she needs answers and that they should turn themselves in. Claire spends all her time talking to self-doubting/destructung heroes. Even though they've no reason to be at this point.
Misty is probably only one of a handfull of police characters that isn't corrupt in this show, so yeah, of course she will want people to turn themselves in, she still believes in The Law - and nobody's telling here anything, so she has no other recourse but to believe that handing themselves in would be the best thing to do.
And Claire has to be the group counsellor, all the other main characters can't tell anyone else how they feel for fear of their lives being in danger - just look what happened in Daredevil S1 FFS.
Besides which, Claire is actually the leader of the group, not Matt like Stick seems to think - Claire is the glue that's holding them all together.

pcernie wrote:
It's marginally better than the previous three shows because it's only 8 episodes long, but even that's too much.
I agree that there were pacing issues again, and for this show, that should not be the case.

pcernie wrote:
They absolutely need to change the writers for Iron Fist. He is limited in every way at the moment for reasons I can't fathom.
That's for the Iron Fist show to deal with.
I suspect that Danny will be less one-note when his show returns for S2.

pcernie wrote:
Hopefully they'll move on to the activities of Kingpin, or anyone else bar the fcuking Hand.
From what I understand, Kingpin will next be seen in Daredevil S3.

pcernie wrote:
Periphery sidekicks need to go. Claire, Misty and the rest are so played out you can guess what they'll say five minutes before they utter it. And you really do have to wait five minutes for those little pearls of wisdom.
Nope. Sorry, the periphery characters are incredibly important - not just to The Defenders as a show, but also to all the individual shows of the characters too.
Without the periphery characters, they'd all be lone heroes on single-minded quests, and we'll probably have enough of that sorth of death and destruction in the forthcoming Punisher to last a lifetime.

pcernie wrote:
The villains have gone from enigmatic mysteries to villain of the week in the Highlander TV show if you've ever seen it. Again, they're just filling time now.
This was a problem also. The Hand was a super enigmatic villain which, once you know its real purpose, becomes a bit of a joke.
I was like 'errrr, really?' when I found out what it was The Hand really wanted. Very much a disappointment in terms of motivation.

pcernie wrote:
Urgh. I was hoping Defenders was the breakpoint after so many character introductions, but it's clear it was almost a reintroduction to them for the upcoming sequel shows.
If you think about it, it's actually a bit of a perfect jumping-on point for anybody interested in getting into the whole Marvel/Netflix shows.
You don't really have to be familiar with any of the individual shows to be able to jump-in with The Defenders.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:36 am
Profile WWW
Legend

So much of Defenders and the shows that preceeded it is predictable replies and responses. Truthfully it doesn't matter what Iron Fist does at this point short of murdering all round him. His character is merely there to be WHATEVER causes an interaction with the Hand. And they're mostly leftovers from straight to video ninja flicks. Inept or invincible, often in one scene!

The drawn out faux arc for Iron Fist crippled his show and Defenders. I've no idea if Finn Jones can even act his lines are so awful and repetitive. He's Marvel's modern day Superman; it couldn't be arsed with the character but they needed him. Weaken him in every way so that we don't have
to keep setting up other super-powered players every episode.

Had enough of the side characters to last me a lifetime. They were necessary at the beginning but now you could go make a cup of tea when they're on. The stock replies are killing me. Just have the heroes interact with each other when it comes to that, and for individual shows introduce new people to set up new shows if you absolutely must! They can be absolutely anybody; hero, villain or their associates. It worked so well with Punisher and it'll stop the drag that has affected every series so badly with the notable exception of DD s2.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 am

hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
Just finished season 1 of The Expanse. Roll on S2!
Bit of a mashup of the books but pretty faithful where it matters.
Season 2 is out (in the US) and hopefully be on Netflix soon
S2 of The Expanse is apparently set to be on Netflix UK from the 8th of September.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

timark_uk wrote:
hifidelity2 wrote:
davrosG5 wrote:
Just finished season 1 of The Expanse. Roll on S2!
Bit of a mashup of the books but pretty faithful where it matters.
Season 2 is out (in the US) and hopefully be on Netflix soon
S2 of The Expanse is apparently set to be on Netflix UK from the 8th of September.

Mark

Yay!

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:21 pm
What's a life?

It's very, very good. Eer... allegedly.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am

jonbwfc wrote:
It's very, very good. Eer... allegedly.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm

I have caved in and borrowed S1-S3 Game Of Thrones DVDs from someone at work.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Legend

veato wrote:

Like anything these days it takes a few episodes to get going, but when it does... I didn't think it would be my sort of thing either. Really need to go back to it...

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 am

veato wrote:

Worth it.

Binge watch and avoid spoilers on fansites/youtube/social media.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Dark Matter has been cancelled.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 am
What's a life?

Also noting that Killjoys has been given two more seasons before that ends. While I found the two hard to distinguish between (bunch of lovable rogues in a space ship etc. etc.), I found Dark Matter a better programme to watch. Oh, well.

SyFy seems to be binging mostly on Star Trek TNG and Buffy at the moment here. Both have cycled round (TNG about the third or fourth continuous cycle) again recently.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:46 am

I watched my mandatory minimum of six episodes, but Killjoys just didn't do it for me - not sure why though, because I was expecting to like it.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:53 pm
Legend

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/true-li ... 202560631/

Way too much McG happening there.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:39 am

Anybody watch Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams? Was it any good?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 280, 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286 ... 295  Next