Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Do we need forums other than The Meeting Place? 

Have other forums here for tech support etc. 85%  85%  [ 23 ]
Just have the Meeting Place forum and links to the relevant Dennis forums for tech support/questions etc. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Have both our own support forums and use the existing Dennis forums. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Do we need anything more that the meeting place?
Surely we could create links on this website to Macuser for mac questions, bit-tech for overclocking, PC Pro for hardware etc.

That's what I had on my website until today's changes. I plan to update all those links in the near future.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

TBH I think this site itself could grow into something that could potentially rival the likes of CPC/PCP/CS/CB/MU.

Bear in mind, the comments sections would be separate. There's nothing wrong with stealing links from the dennis site and putting comments on this place.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:09 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
cloaked_wolf wrote:
TBH I think this site itself could grow into something that could potentially rival the likes of CPC/PCP/CS/CB/MU.
So how do we get this place on Google then? If it's not on there, people won't find it.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

I am for having all forums that comunity needs. I know we won't be massive in terms of users but we will be close so I think that is much better. In the past year I could not be bothered to help users on CPC forum because there were so many users, most of them noobs that didn't even know how to ask for help.

Often I replied, offered help but muppets didn't even bother to reply back at all. That is very frustrating when you spend some time writing a post that nobody appreciates.

So yes, I want it all here and you guys better appreciate me or else ;)

l3v1ck wrote:
So how do we get this place on Google then? If it's not on there, people won't find it.

I want it to grow organically, I want a comunity, not user base. Lets keep it small and friendly.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 pm
Site Admin

According to our webstats we're doing well:
Successful requests: 155,031 :shock:
Average successful requests per day: 153,854
Successful requests for pages: 557
Average successful requests for pages per day: 551
Failed requests: 956 :twisted:
Redirected requests: 84
Distinct files requested: 5,384
Distinct hosts served: 404
Data transferred: 773.53 megabytes
Average data transferred per day: 767.67 megabytes :shock:

We've potentially got the beginning of something big here. :D

I've only ever done it with a chicken so far, but if required I wouldn't have any problems doing it with other animals at all.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

l3v1ck wrote:
cloaked_wolf wrote:

That'll come once this place has a few more users, and with some clever SEO, hopefully. :)

Don't forget word of mouth, signatures on other forums etc.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

As stated in many other posts, I think a new community could grow here. I'll not visit the PC area too much, but from what I've seen people have kind of started where they left off on CPC forums...

Comments wise, I think (like Nick said) an "In the news" thread might be cool, we are all responsible for adding content to the board, however mods should monitor carefully and delete any threads that duplicate the same news story (even if it's from a different source). Different sources for the same stories should be posted into the topics current thread. I think...

The OpenSource board seems nice, sparse at the minute, but it's had some activity, as had the Mac hardware board...I think we can manage by ourselves by expanding accordingly.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 pm
Profile WWW

+1

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 pm

forquare1 wrote:
As stated in many other posts, I think a new community could grow here. I'll not visit the PC area too much, but from what I've seen people have kind of started where they left off on CPC forums...

Comments wise, I think (like Nick said) an "In the news" thread might be cool, we are all responsible for adding content to the board, however mods should monitor carefully and delete any threads that duplicate the same news story (even if it's from a different source). Different sources for the same stories should be posted into the topics current thread. I think...

The OpenSource board seems nice, sparse at the minute, but it's had some activity, as had the Mac hardware board...I think we can manage by ourselves by expanding accordingly.

I agree with this, including the news section, I like the idea alot but agree it would need to be monitored closely, definatly something to think about though.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

HeatherKay wrote:
+1

Actually, I might find myself in the Open Source forum at some stage. I'm trying to get to grips with a CMS I've installed, and it's not making a lot of sense to me. :oops:

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 pm

HeatherKay wrote:
HeatherKay wrote:
+1

Actually, I might find myself in the Open Source forum at some stage. I'm trying to get to grips with a CMS I've installed, and it's not making a lot of sense to me. :oops:

Digestive biscuits on the table, tea bags and kettle on the side, milk in the fridge...Bring your own sugar I'm afraid... :)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 pm
Profile WWW

Again the people have spoken! ;)

See thats the nice thing about here, you get what you ask for and (fairly) quickly. :)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

We don't need them ^_^

We have each other...

*hugs*

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:27 pm
Profile WWW

What would be really good would be a programming board, would help to keep it out of the meeting place...

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

Google hits for tech help are crucial for trapping, i mean attracting new members, I think this place has potential :)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next