Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Terror suspects - do we need anything other than their name? 
Legend

Obviously 'Islamic terrorism'* is and will be the news focus now and in years to come, while not forgetting all the other groups who would seek to impose their will and deny us our right to elect useless scumbags. Er... What I'm asking is do we really have to keep publishing their pictures?

I get that an image of them will eventually appear on Twitter alone, but do our news organisations really need to broadcast and print ad infinitum the face of the disturbed? That's what they seek, notoriety, because apparently if they can't have a good life they'll take a notorious death (hence the fake suicide vests over going to prison). On social media they'll simply be forgotten about in a few days, but TV and the papers can't bloody help themselves is my view. They're doing the work for them AND feeding the problem. Even worse in some ways, it inevitably leads to a backlash against the community they're from. The worst elements of that community will then seek to take advantage, perpetuating more attacks. That's not a slur on any given community, that's just reality across the world. It happens with drug cartels too.

So wouldn't these demented folks' names suffice for reporting and legal purposes? Who actually needs to see what they look like? Certainly not the victims or their families, nor even just the people who can't avoid 24hr news for whatever reason.

That's my take, what do you reckon?

* I'm using that as a catch-all term, it saves getting into the obvious mental health issues in play.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:53 pm
Spends far too much time on here

i agree. placing them in the news at a high profile just seems to go towards recruitment. put this type of news about the individual in the small ad type of section. that way its reported but not high profile the attack will be on all the main pages anyway ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Of course we need to see their photo.
More specifically we need to see the photo of Mohammed Al Akbar (fake name) so the neighbours of a completely different Mohammed Al Akbar don't [LIFTED] themselves when they hear his name on the news.

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Legend

l3v1ck wrote:
Of course we need to see their photo.
More specifically we need to see the photo of Mohammed Al Akbar (fake name) so the neighbours of a completely different Mohammed Al Akbar don't [LIFTED] themselves when they hear his name on the news.

I think idiots will be idiots no matter what.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]