Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Shaving - options 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Hi,

Hopefully a quick and simple question... I am looking for a new razor. I get on OK with the Gillette Pro Glide, but I am finding that if I shave too often I end up with soreness.

I've seen a few adverts, both on TV and online about various alternatives, such as the Dollar Shave Club and Harry's, as well as The Personal Barber.

My question is what is everyone else using these days, and why did you make that choice?

TIA,

John.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:51 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Wilkinson Sword something or other... Because.

We don't get Harry's or Dollar over here (even though Harry's bought up the factory in near-by Solingen...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am
Profile ICQ

I used a Braun series 7 electric razor. Never got on with wet shaving - I always end up with a rash.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am
What's a life?

I've heard of Harrys and DSC through sponsorship and paid adverts on youtube channels I follow. Personally I stopped using Gillette type razors and started using a DE razor.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 am

I have a beard ;)

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I've never found an electric razor that shaved as close as a blade.

Like the OP I can't shave too often as I end up sore and cut to bits and still have what looks like a permanent 5 o'clock shadow.

What works best for me is to allow 3-4 days between shaves which leaves me with slight "designer stubble". Then 10 minutes in the steam room at the gym, followed by a hot shower, and straight off to the wash basins to shave. My face ends up perfectly smooth and unblemished and will remain that way for almost 24 hours.

I use one of the Gillette models with just 3 blades (any more blades and the head is too big to get everywhere properly, especially the corners of my mouth) and Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe Softening Shaving Cream, of which I only need the tiniest amount for my full face. I suspect the 180g tub I bought will last at least a year.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

davrosG5 wrote:
I used a Braun series 7 electric razor. Never got on with wet shaving - I always end up with a rash.

I get a rash if I use shaving foam or shaving gel. I just use hot water, after showering.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Profile ICQ

big_D wrote:
I get a rash if I use shaving foam or shaving gel. I just use hot water, after showering.

That might be because most mainstream shaving foams and gels are full of nasty stuff. Try something from the Body Shop or Lush (or their German equivalents if they aren't available in Germany).

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

very old fashioned, single blade double edged razor using a brush with shaving soap ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I use a gillette 3 bladed razor, not sure of the exact model. I generally shave once or twice a week and can go up to every other day if needed, any more than that and it can get a little uncomfortable.

I bought an eight pack of blades in NZ, so roughly four years ago now and still have two unused ones remaining (well one really but the gf stole one). The blue glide strip is designed to go way to early, and I only reluctantly dispose once the white strip has disappeared, but I swear there is still life left in the blades and don't want to appear overly pikey. On the other hand a friend of mine uses each head only once before disposal.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm
What's a life?

belchingmatt wrote:
only reluctantly dispose once the white strip has disappeared

I used to do that too. But TBH I found DE razors to give a better shave even when used multiple times. I would never go back to cartridge razors.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:19 pm

When I used to shave every day, a blade would last me a week. These days I tend to change blades after 10 shaves or the first time I feel it pulling on the beard hairs rather than slicing through them. You can't beat a fresh sharp blade though. If I could afford it I'd never use a blade more than twice.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the replies, guys. Think I'll try one of the DE razors and see how I get on with that.

I'll try and post an update when I get one.

:)

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am
Profile WWW

Wilkinson Sword dual blade sensitive disposable £2-£4 for 10.
I shave every day as I produce good quality thick stubble and a razor will last 2-3 weeks YMMV. Shaving oil rather than foam.
If I leave it longer then they aren't as good, tend to pull a bit, but providing I keep to the regime results are satisfactory.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am

I've ordered a Signature Safety Razor from The Personal Barber

I'll post an update when it arrives, and I've tried it.

I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next