Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Do you thank the bus driver? 
What's a life?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018 ... bus-driver

Apparently very divisive.

In my own experience, I caught the buses in Birmingham and would never say thanks or even acknowledge the driver. Nobody else ever did. When I went to university in Southampton, I travelled mainly on the university buses. It was a novelty to hear the driver being given a "cheers" or a "thanks" when getting off the bus (and a lot of students would greet the bus driver when getting on the bus too). So I joined it and frequently the driver would reciprocate. Whenever I came back to Birmingham, the same habit would stay - I would say thanks to the bus driver only to be completely ignored. It was such a jarring contrast.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:17 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Yes I do as it happens.
I had assumed it was a Glasgow thing as the vast majority of people will thank the driver when they get off the bus. Reading the article maybe it's a Celtic (not the football team) thing.

Even though I don't live in Scotland any more I still thank the driver when I get off a bus. Do the same with taxi drivers (provided they haven't driven like too much of a maniac).

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:57 pm
Spends far too much time on here

im a bus driver on regular routes (850 school bus, H10 & W19), i know most of my passengers by first name. a laugh and a joke along with a smile goes a long way.
i have had some lovely Xmas cards and presents from my passengers. when i left my last regular route (352) i also got some very nice leaving presents.
a hello and goodbye works wonders both ways ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 pm
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Yes. Always at home.
Mostly in London. The only time I don't in London is if the bus is full. You have to get off at the middle doors and I don't want to shout over a dozen people stood between them and the driver.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I haven't caught a bus in years, but yes, I always thanked the driver.

Come to think of it, the train was cancelled in March due to works on the rails and I had to take a bus and I thanked the driver.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 am
Profile ICQ

It's rare for me to get the bus but when I do I always thank the driver when hopping off.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Spends far too much time on here

an example of no comment on a bus. X74 (high wycombe to slough) ... running late (bus in front broken down) ... got to the last bus before the motor way.
young lady got on, face like thunder. i said 'im sorry but im running late' she showed her monthly pass. when she left the bus at slough bus station she placed a sweet in the cash tray for me. she never said a word. but i now know that i had done my job right, have a nice day ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Must be over ten years since I last rode on a bus, but I always used to thank the driver.

Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:23 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

I think it depends on the design of the bus. Back in the 70s and 80s most buses (at least the ones that I used) were all rear or side door exit, so you weren't anywhere near the driver when you got off. Nowadays it's all front door entrance and exit. I notice that since the change in design more and more people thank the driver as they leave. Personally if I'm the only one getting off at a stop then I will say thank you, but if I'm just one of half a bus load, I probably won't bother. Personally I think it sounds stupid.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 am
Profile WWW

I always do

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 am
Doesn't have much of a life

Always, it’s good manners. I assumed it was a Northern thing as whenever I’ve been down south I’ve never seen anyone do it and whenever I do it down there (especially London) the bus driver looks at you as if you’ve got 2 heads.

* Witty statement goes here *

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:38 pm
Legend

It's not a problem if it doesn't happen but in Belfast at least, most people will thank the driver.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes.

><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>

If one is diving so close to the limits that +/- 1% will make a difference then the error has already been made.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]