Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
new tyres ... 
Spends far too much time on here

just (in the last week) fitted new tyres on both cars. goodyear 4 seasons G2.
very happy that i did as its snowing again.

they have made a very stark difference to both cars and well worth the expense even if its only for peace of mind but will keep both cars on the road ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
I'd normally get 30,000 mile out of a set for front tyres.
Any idea how much I'd get out of a set of winter tyres? How much more quickly do they wear away?

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I usually get around 40K out of winter tyres, but I change from winter to summer tyres in the Spring and back to winter tyres again in October.

All Season, like MSR has should last around the same as well, they aren't as good as summer tyres in the summer and they aren't as good as winter tyres in winter, but they are better than summer tyres in winter and winter tyres in summer (braking distance in summer is around 20% worse than summer tyres, but winter tyres are around 40% worse, winter tyres wear out very quickly above about 12-14°C ambient temperature, but summer tyres don't work well below 8°C and offer little to no grip in ice and snow, all season offer some grip and work at lower temperatures, without shredding so quickly at typical English summer temperatures).

The important thing to remember with winter tyres, is that you really need at least 4mm tread for them to work well in heavy rain or snow.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

I have a spare set of OEM alloys to which I've fitted winter tyres. I stick them on the car towards the end of November and take them at the start of March. That's just over three months' use. The winter tyres are great in snow and ice, though I did struggle to get the car to move when there was a large snowfall in December (car is lowered, not enough ground clearance).

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am
What's a life?

Yep, I've got a second set of alloys for my winter tyres (well, the original alloys have the winter tyres, the "Hot Wheels" looking alloys have the summer tyres), my wife has a set of plain steels (she doesn't care) for winter. The eldest daughter lucked out, she bought a second hand Mazda with 2 sets of alloys. The youngest daughter still only has one set of steels and has to have one set taken off and the other set put on twice a year.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 am
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

as Big_D states, 4 season tyres are good in the summer, good in the winter and good between both. they don't excel at one particular thing just good all rounders. but for the average British weather, where we live, they are an ideal tyre and for most people will be all they need. i have found that the premium brands perform much better then the cheaper brands especially for longevity. ie you get what you pay for. but they are working well on both cars in all weathers for both of us and as long as that keeps both cars on the road when needed. bonus ...

just an add on.
the tyres are fitted to.
1. Vauxhall agila 1.2 petrol (mine)
2. Vauxhall astra estate 1.3 diesel (swmbo)

as you can see, they are just run of the mill motors, not racing cars ...

edit.
forgot to mention that the tyres excel at running very silently.

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Last edited by MrStevenRogers on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:45 pm
What's a life?

The other thing to remember about winter tyres, as opposed to all season, is that they are often speed restricted. Most are limited to 110mph, which isn't a problem in the UK, but over here you need a sticker on the dashboard starting the maximum allowed speed, if it is less than the maximum speed of the vehicle.

You can also get high speed rated winter tyres, but they are a lot more expensive and most people don't bother, unless they spend a lot of time on the autobahn at high speeds.

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]