Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ... 
Spends far too much time on here

6" here at the minute and still coming down ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 am
What's a life?

Was out with the dog, around 2cm as I left the house, over 10cm when I got back.

Still snowing hard here.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:40 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

We've had snow here. Been great watching our 8 month old kitten enjoying son for the first time.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Taken from upstairs in our house on Friday.

Winter is here

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Birmingham
Friday there was a fair but of snow and ice.

Saturday was reasonably stable and I managed to get out on the roads.

Sunday was a nightmare. Swmbo(in her RWD BMW 1-series) managed to reverse off the driveway and promptly got stuck in the middle of the road. We ended up managing to park the car on the side of the road but there was no way we were going to get it back on the driveway. She wasn't able to get into work. It snowed constantly the whole day until about 4pm. It snowed a little overnight too.

Monday - I got up, took 7-8 inches of snow off the car (seriously, my forearm disappeared under the snow). I brushed away as much snow off the driveway as I could and tried to venture out. Even with snow tyres, I managed about a couple of feet and then had to give up. Turns out all the other doctors weren't able to head into work. As it happened, the senior partner lives close by and walked in. Only one patient turned up the whole day. Swmbo and I spent some of the afternoon clearing out the driveway and the road around it, including where she had parked, and we managed to get the car off the road.

Tuesday - it took about 30 minutes to get the car warm enough to head out. It was -5*C this morning. Managed to get fuel and get to work. Kindly, one of the patients had a snowscoop on the front of their truck and cleared up some of the car park. A few patients have turned up, others have cancelled. Some of the doctors aren't able to make it in but some are.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

Typical. The first time it really snows in Peterborough in years and I'm 300+ miles away in Glasgow where there was not a jot of snow to be seen (plenty of impressive frost though).
Get back and there is a smattering of frozen snow in the sheltered parts of my back garden but that's about it.
Very disappointed. :(

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am
Spends far too much time on here

we had about 8" in total cleared the drive for both cars to get out today (tuesday) but the wife's astra had a very dead battery. replaced that (£70) so now both cars are ready for work tomorrow. im hoping that it clears with rain forecast tonight so i should be able to get the bus on the road ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

The snow has hardly affected me so far.

Went to Lincoln Christmas Market on the Saturday, and so avoided being affected by the decision to close the market on Sunday due to expected heavy snow.

Here in Nottingham the forecast 10cm never materialised. Although it snowed off and on most of the day on Sunday I doubt if we got much more than a couple of centimetres. We walked up to to the local coffee shop around lunchtime and enjoyed coffee and cake whilst watching the gentle snowfall. It had all but stopped by the time we decided to walk back.

Probably the most impact the snow had was when we came to clear the snow off the car on Monday morning as it had frozen in place, but nothing that 10 minutes work with scrapers couldn't shift. Virtually all the roads in the city were completely clear.

While the little snow that hadn't melted by the evening has frozen hard, there isn't that much and it's only on the roads and pavements that don't get a lot of use. It will last until the end of the week around my house but that's what comes of living on the cul-de-sac on one of the highest points in the city. I expect that unless it snows again tonight, it will be almost completely gone everywhere else around here by the morning.

All in all a bit of an anti-climax here.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

This is the time of year I hate having a corner property! Our house borders on two roads, the front of the house on one road the right hand side on another street. That means clearing about 40 feet of driveway, then a hundred feet or so across the front of the house and then about another 400 feet or so down the side of the property.

It is a legal requirement to clear the snow from the driveway (at least a pathway to the front door and postbox and to clear the pavement around the property. You also need to have it cleared by 7 in the morning, I think. Generally I am out at 5 in the morning, after I've been with the dog, clearing the snow. You also need to keep it clear during the day.

The slightly silly thing is, even if you are at work when it starts snowing (or on holiday in Hawaii), you still need to ensure the snow is cleared from in front of your property, otherwise you could come back to a fine and if somebody falls over on the pavement, you are at fault if the snow hasn't been cleared - if it was cleared and then the pavement freezes over, that is fine.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:12 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
This is the time of year I hate having a corner property! Our house borders on two roads, the front of the house on one road the right hand side on another street. That means clearing about 40 feet of driveway, then a hundred feet or so across the front of the house and then about another 400 feet or so down the side of the property.

It is a legal requirement to clear the snow from the driveway (at least a pathway to the front door and postbox and to clear the pavement around the property. You also need to have it cleared by 7 in the morning, I think. Generally I am out at 5 in the morning, after I've been with the dog, clearing the snow. You also need to keep it clear during the day.

The slightly silly thing is, even if you are at work when it starts snowing (or on holiday in Hawaii), you still need to ensure the snow is cleared from in front of your property, otherwise you could come back to a fine and if somebody falls over on the pavement, you are at fault if the snow hasn't been cleared - if it was cleared and then the pavement freezes over, that is fine.

How does this work in practice? I wonder how Germany manages with rules like this.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:42 pm
What's a life?

If you are at work, then somebody has to go home early to clear the snow, or call a friend or relative to come round... The same if you go on holiday, you need to ensure somebody is responsible for clearing the snow.

One year in Bavaria, we started clearing snow at 11 in the evening, we finished around 4 in the morning, we had been over the whole drive, pavement and street about 6 times, each time we had shovelled around 50cm of snow out of the way.

It is a little silly, if you go to bed and it hasn't snowed and you get up at 10 in the morning to find snow, theoretically, you could be fined for not clearing the snow on time, although most places are pretty lenient. The only real problem is if somebody has an accident, before the snow has been cleared at least once.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Well the snow's pretty much gone but what's left is that slushy stuff, which I don't mind. Until it freezes. At which point, it becomes dangerous. Slipped and skidded from the car to the surgery, and when I went out to a home visit, the tyres couldn't bite on the frozen solid slush. So I poured some de-icer and waited a few minutes before trying again. Managed to drive out!

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

big_D wrote:
If you are at work, then somebody has to go home early to clear the snow, .

I can just see my Boss saying "Sure go home and brush show off the pavement " if I tried that here in the UK

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:51 am
What's a life?

It snowed here over night, but it was all gone by the time I got up and went for a walk with the dog.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:03 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Back to work today. Looks like it snowed here and then froze over. Struggled to park the car in the carpark even with winter tyres on.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next