Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Suggestions for places to visit 
What's a life?

Maybe the nutters avoided me? I never encountered a single one. Or maybe it was because we were back in our hotel rooms by 9-10pm (wife had an exam on our return so she wanted to do some revision)?

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Both my visits to NYC have been relatively nutter-free - at least nothing worse than you would find in any city. A lot of the people who look intimating are actually very polite if you need to interact with them.

However it's reputation as "The city that never sleeps" is seriously over-rated. On my first visit I went to a gig at CBGBs (just before it finally closed for good) and came out just after 12.00 to find the streets empty and everywhere deserted!

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 pm
Profile WWW

BigRedX wrote:
However it's reputation as "The city that never sleeps" is seriously over-rated. On my first visit I went to a gig at CBGBs (just before it finally closed for good) and came out just after 12.00 to find the streets empty and everywhere deserted!
And yet, when me an my ex-wife went (about 2006 I think) we couldn't sleep and so went out at 3am, found a noodle bar that was open and had other people inside, so we joined them.
That trip was also nutter-free, thankfully.
Though if you want an absolutely terrifying experience go and buy one of those knock-off branded handbags.
[LIFTED] me that was scary.

Mark

Well you obviously. You're a one man vortex of despair.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
cloaked_wolf wrote:
Maybe the nutters avoided me? I never encountered a single one. Or maybe it was because we were back in our hotel rooms by 9-10pm (wife had an exam on our return so she wanted to do some revision)?

This was 4pm.

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Y'know, I kinda expected to see nutters but never encountered one. We remained in Manhattan with the exception of visiting Brooklyn (bridge, ice cream factory, pizza parlour).

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

l3v1ck wrote:
I finally went to NY at the end of last year.
I didn't take to the city itself, or the shopping mania they have. But I'd recommend the Museum of New York, the statue of Liberty (after the museum), the 9-11 memorial and the Intrepid Museum.

I found central park over rated, and time square and the Rockerfella centre vastly over rated.

There's lots of nutters on the subway too*, as is 'should genuinely be in a mental hospital' nutters.

* The first day we were on there one bloke was shouting up and down the carriage that he'd been in prison for twenty years and his favourite hobby was dragging dead bodies around.

That's is part on NY - its so OTT
Time Sq and Rockefeller is the same as Piccadilly and the Shard - fun for tourists but not the real "city"

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2