Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What do you do? 
Spends far too much time on here

So I thought it'd be a nice idea to share what we all do, what our areas of expertise are etc.

I noticed that some self-employed forum members are looking for more work while others are looking for new roles and so I thought this thread would be an opportunity for us to maybe help each other out if the situation arose.

I'll start: nothing. Well, not strictly true, I'm currently an Application Support Analyst (whatever that means) for an Insurance company. I wouldn't say I particularly have an area of expertise though my career history is mostly in IT Delivery/Service Management.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 am
Profile WWW
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I am currently teaching English, Maths and ICT at The Manchester College, mainly to Apprentices and Taxi drivers.

Before this I worked in IT, in a variety of roles, but have dealt with one too many @sshole IT managers, have now decided that I don't want to work in the IT sector any more.

I am also telling myself that I'm only doing this job until I release that one game which takes off and makes me a squillionaire! :lol:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Doesn't have much of a life

Freelance Print Artworker.

Surprisingly there is still a need for my services, and the last few years have seen me work on everything from single sided A5 flyers to several 400+ page books, 1" button badges to a full wrap for a 5 carriage tram. Sometimes it's just a case of casting my eye over a file that has already been created to ensure that everything will print correctly and other times it can be creating something from scratch based on a sketch on a scrap of paper.

My speciality is packaging and currently I'm working for a prestigious chocolatier on their new products and at the same time creating an in-house style guide for them in an attempt to get some sort of consistency throughout the range especially with their wording and layout.

I also offer a service where I will produce CDs or vinyl with all the packaging for bands who don't have the time or ability to do this themselves.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:39 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

IT expert...

Started out as a programmer and analyst, went through various levels of consultant, helpdesk, system administration, QA, security and various other areas of expertise.

Currently working as a sys admin and looking for a new role.

Based in Germany.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile ICQ

Chemical hazards adviser.

I look at information on new substances coming in for testing and make an assessment on the (health) hazards they are likely to present so they can be worked with safely.

Started out as lab analyst doing physical properties testing (melting/boiling points, partition coefficients, flammability and explosive properties). Moved to doing environmental analysis support (lots of chromatography) then on to metabolism in plants and the environment (soil, water and sediment, also lots of chromatography) and then onto my current job.

Previously I also worked in a nuclear power station in the analytical lab (making sure the pipework was dissolving at the rate it was expected to basically).

In summary SCIENCE! is what I do (mainly chemistry).

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:05 pm
What's a life?

I work mostly with websites, but I’ve also been known to venture into paper based design work (which is what my qualifications are in) from time to time.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:42 pm
Legend

Civil servant, and put it this way, Axel the pup is sitting beside me, I have my own office, and I'm leaving at four ;)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Emergency Medical Technician on my way to full Paramedic for the NHS Ambulance Service. Previously super-administrator with a gift for scheduling and proof-reading. I still do a bit of proof-reading extra-curricularly for a friend when she has too much work.

The Mister has just set up his own business doing bookkeeping, accounts, payroll and taxes, he is a spreadsheet ninja and can turn his hand to website building and programming.

This above all: To Thine Own Self Be True

"Red sky at night, Shepherds Delight"..Which is a bit like Shepherds Pie, but with whipped topping instead of mashed potato.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 pm

I've just finished my one week career as a call centre customer service advisor - listening to chavs scream down the line because their tracksuit hasn't arrived yet.

I'm about to embark on a new career as an assistant manager in a furniture and electrical appliance store for the BHF. It's a far cry from anything I've done before, but I'm looking forward to it.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:23 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

After 10 years of doing IT for hedge funds, I am now salvaging some karma as a sysadmin for a medical sciency firm in London that does crazy sci-fi stuff I don't understand. I am suddenly surrounded by PHDs, and have stopped referring to myself as nerd.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Project Manager within TfL

Previously a Project Manager and Systems Administrator for a large bank

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:33 am
Officially Mrs saspro

Mostly I design Glass and aluminium , sometimes bricks

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 pm
Profile WWW

Chef de cuisine. Currently working here: http://www.bassiviere.com/

It looks like we're going to be moving from the arse-end of nowhere to the outskirts of Bordeaux soon, so currently looking for suitable kitchens to apply to there.

Previously, mostly software support with a smattering of web development thrown in for fun and games.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 am
Profile WWW

I used to be a graphic designer/artworker. I was self-employed for ages, then the work dried up. After thrashing about looking for anything that would pay me money, I ended up turning a hobby into a business.

I now build large scale models of railway subjects for people. I have clients all over the UK, one in Canada, one in The Netherlands and two in Australia.

I don't make a lot of money, but I'm happy.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:37 am
What's a life?

Looks like everyone else has a much more interesting job.

Doctor.
Specifically GP.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next