Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Third party inks 
What's a life?

Swmbo needs to print a lot of science/research papers. We've gone through two lots of OEM inks and I'm looking at the likes of third party inks since the quality of the print out isn't critical (we've been printing in draft mode).

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for TP ink cartridges?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

I haven't ever used TP inks, c_w, since I am a wuss, but I know others who have, and they haven't reported any problems.

Edit to add: actually, thinking about it, I do know this one guy, called Dave, who had an issue with TP inks leaking inside his printer, but aside from that... :) :lol:

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Last edited by John_Vella on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I have only tried non-original inks once, the leaked all over the inside of the printer, luckily I noticed before they did any permanent damage, but it did take about 100 pages of printing with original inks to get clean prints again... Since then, I stick with original cartridges, as they work out cheaper in the long run.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Spends far too much time on here

i use TP inks with my epson SX435W. the company i use is called 'first call inks' on amazon prime. never had any problems with them ...

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:58 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

Not used anything but OEM for several years. Found that third party ink seemed to bleeed through the paper more. Shouldn't be a problem on draft......

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 am

I've used various 3rd party inks over the years, with very little downside.

However, inkjets in general are garbage - I was sick and tired of carts drying out (seems to be a common problem with Epson machines even with OEM carts) and then the printer using up 15% of the new cart on installation. Then we'd print nothing for a few weeks and find one of the carts had dried up again. The pisser is that even a problem with one cart would put the printer out of commission - you can't print in monochrome or even use the scanner if one of the colour carts was empty/dried out etc..

I ditched inkjets a couple of years ago for a cheap colour laser and haven't regretted it once.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm
Legend

Spreadie wrote:
I've used various 3rd party inks over the years, with very little downside.

However, inkjets in general are garbage - I was sick and tired of carts drying out (seems to be a common problem with Epson machines even with OEM carts) and then the printer using up 15% of the new cart on installation. Then we'd print nothing for a few weeks and find one of the carts had dried up again. The pisser is that even a problem with one cart would put the printer out of commission - you can't print in monochrome or even use the scanner if one of the colour carts was empty/dried out etc..

I ditched inkjets a couple of years ago for a cheap colour laser and haven't regretted it once.

Had the exact same issues with Canon (smashed the living [LIFTED] out of it when it finally came to it), but never with Epsons.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:52 am
What's a life?

Thanks for the input. The printer is a canon pixma - so it prints photos and has a scanner. I bought it a few years back to print primarily photos and the occasional document. Where possible, I get swmbo to email me the journal papers she wants printing and I do it at work on the laser printer. But if it's the weekend and we need to print, I'll do it on the inkjet.

I've bit the bullet and ordered some third party inks. Total cost for six ink cartridges was £11 compared to £65 if I wanted oem (from Amazon). I will report back if there are any issues.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:04 am

I've used https://www.internet-ink.com/ for my Canon and it's been ok so far

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Fail.

My oem black pigment cartridge was running out whilst printing some PDFs. I replaced it with the compatible ink cartridge. Blank pages. The cartridge registered as full in the printer and there were no errors generated on the printer or on the computer. Swapped it with a new oem cartridge and it printed out perfectly.

I've emailed back to see what they say.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am
What's a life?

To update: at their suggestion, I ran the cleaning program which seemed to get things going. A few days later, I needed to print again and blank pages spewed out. Ran the cleaning program once again and all was okay.

A month ago I needed to print out a colour document and same story - had to run the cleaning program twice before it would print.

Today, I needed to print black and white document. No matter what i did, blank pages. I went as far as cleaning out the print head by running it under hot water. Still nothing. I had one full set of oem inks left so I used them. Perfect print first time.

What a sodding faff.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 pm

I use 3rd party in my Canon (mx925) and find that the printer often shows the ink as being fuller than it really is so have to replace them even when its showing on the screen that there is ink. If I look at them then can often see that they are empty or very nearly so

I use cartridge world as they regularly send me offers (BOGOFs etc)

I think most of the issues is that the printer is about 3 years old and I can go months without printing

I have cleaned the print heat "properly" using alcohol once and that made a big difference (and a LOT of cr*p came out) of the print head

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 am
What's a life?

hifidelity2 wrote:
I use 3rd party in my Canon (mx925) and find that the printer often shows the ink as being fuller than it really is so have to replace them even when its showing on the screen that there is ink. If I look at them then can often see that they are empty or very nearly so

Hadn't thought about that but then again, the cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges were transparent and it was clear they were 80% full despite printing test pages that were blank.

[quote="hifidelity2"]
I think most of the issues is that the printer is about 3 years old and I can go months without printing
My printer is probably five years old, if not older. It's the MG6250 - multifunctional so can do scanning/photocopying and photoprinting. Similarly, I can go months without printing anything.

I might give third party inks another go at a later date - it was really for swmbo's research papers, where quality isn't important. Just need to print out journal papers to read through and annotate/highlight.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:49 am
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Just bought some 3rd party toner for my CLP-325W.
I'll let you know how it goes once it's arrived.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Just bought some 3rd party toner for my CLP-325W.
I'll let you know how it goes once it's arrived.

I'd like to know which you used and I'm interested in your opinion - our Sammy laser is getting low on a couple of the toner carts. I bought it second hand with a full set of spare Samsung carts, so I've never used 3rd party toner in it.

The Dell laser works just fine with third party toners, with no obvious drop in colour quality.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next