Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Doctor Who S10/36 
Legend

George Osborne has lost yet another job because of a woman, I bet he's furious...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm
I haven't seen my friends in so long

A female Doctor Who - kinda surprised it took so long.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm
What's a life?

Liked the reveal trailer, thought it had a very good almost mystical feel to it. Also suspect they intentionally designed how the hood sat when she lowered it so it was reminiscent of the massive collars classic time lord uniforms had. I've just checked all my drawers, cupboards and cabinets and I could not find one single [LIFTED] for whether the Doctor is male or female. Hope they'll write some good stories and she does well portraying them.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

I certainly don't have a problem with the The Doctor being a woman, however, she is going to have ten times the scrutiny that a man would have had, so I really do hope that she is fantastic.

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

John_Vella wrote:
I certainly don't have a problem with the The Doctor being a woman, however, she is going to have ten times the scrutiny that a man would have had, so I really do hope that she is fantastic.

Ten times what Peter Capaldi had? After they had that ludicrous hour long reveal show thing? By Christmas this will be old news. I'm sure the Daily Mail will be up to their usual tricks but who gives a crap what they say anyway.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm
What's a life?

I like this news. Very much looking forward to seeing how this goes. Sadly, the usually fcukwittery is out there in Twitter land grumbling.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm
What's a life?

paulzolo wrote:
I like this news. Very much looking forward to seeing how this goes. Sadly, the usually fcukwittery is out there in Twitter land grumbling.

Course it is. That's what Twitter's for. doesn't mean anyone else has to assign any value to it.

NewsThump

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm

The Express leads the fcukwittery charge with "Are they too PC at the BBC?"

So, the only reason to go with a woman for the role is positive discrimination? :roll:

It'll be a success, regardless of what the naysayers might think - remember the crap about Matt Smith being too young for the part? What exactly is it about the show that makes it a poor choice to hire a woman as the lead? If you look at it, it's a pretty gender-neutral role, despite never having had a woman cast.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 am
What's a life?

Spreadie wrote:
The Express leads the fcukwittery charge with "Are they too PC at the BBC?"

So, the only reason to go with a woman for the role is positive discrimination? :roll:

Quite. The fact is Jodie Whittaker is reputedly (I only say this as I don't know much of her work personally) an excellent actor and therefore entirely worthy of the job... However I have to say I am slightly disquieted by the quote from the new show executive (Chris Chibnall I think) that it was 'always going to be' a woman. That's just as sexist as the idiots saying The Doctor always has to be a man. I hope he gave Whittaker the part because he thought she was the best actor for the role, not because he thought she was the best woman for the role..

Spreadie wrote:
It'll be a success, regardless of what the naysayers might think - remember the crap about Matt Smith being too young for the part? What exactly is it about the show that makes it a poor choice to hire a woman as the lead? If you look at it, it's a pretty gender-neutral role, despite never having had a woman cast.

Yup, The Doctor is entirely gender neutral. Since in the main it's a character who solves problems with brainpower not muscles, there's no reason it shouldn't be a woman. This is always the difference between say The Doctor and James Bond - Bond is an assassin who often solves his problems through direct physical violence, so that is actually a job where a man is better suited, given it is essentially grounded in 'our real world'. Who is entirely fantastic and the violence that does happen is with ray guns or whatever, so there's absolutely no gender requirement at all. In fact, has the Doctor ever punched someone in a show, even once? I can kind of imagine Pertwee doing it at some point but I don't remember it.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:06 am
What's a life?

Pertwee’s Doctor used some kind of Venusian Karate - and I believe Capaldi’s Doctor referenced it. So, yes, he uses violence, but sparingly and cleverly. It would not be not stretching it if Whittaker’s Doctor used it. It’s more about leverage and positioning than brute strength. Still, we’ll see. I expect there’s discussions between her and Chibnall about who the Doctor is, how she’ll be portrayed, and what she’ll be getting up to.

It will be a breath of fresh air for the programme I think.

The key in the intro video was a nice touch. The source sound for the TARDIS materialising is a key being rubbed up and down a piano string.

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 am
What's a life?

paulzolo wrote:
It’s more about leverage and positioning than brute strength

I believe that's more usually judo than karate. And aren't Venusians the Ice Warriors? If Pertwee was doing any 'movie martial arts', that's probably much more to do with the 70's Kung Fu craze than it is anything philosophical.

paulzolo wrote:
The key in the intro video was a nice touch. The source sound for the TARDIS materialising is a key being rubbed up and down a piano string.

I don't know if you saw it (It's on youtube if you didn't) but at the recent Blue Dot Festival, Orbital invited a few members of the radiophonic workshop - of course they're all quite old now - on stage and they all played the Doctor Who theme tune together. It was quite wonderful.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm
What's a life?

Sounds interesting and, why not? Bond is a human and was always, in all books, described a certain way, so making him anything other than what he was described as is difficult, especially for long term fans - that said, the books often have little to do with what the films portrayed. (Hmm, maybe time to dig out my first edition hard bound For Your Eyes Only,)

Dr. Who on the other hand is an alien that keeps morphing into a new host shell. Looking back at the stories where other Time Lords appeared, for example, where the Dr. was on trial before the court on Galifrey, there were a mixture of male and female time lords, so I see no reason why there couldn't be a sex change during a regeneration. It isn't as if the physical form has to be kept - just look at the physical difference between Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy, no way that Peter's bone mass was kept in the Sylvester's smaller form.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:52 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

big_D wrote:
Sounds interesting and, why not? Bond is a human and was always, in all books, described a certain way, so making him anything other than what he was described as is difficult, especially for long term fans - that said, the books often have little to do with what the films portrayed. (Hmm, maybe time to dig out my first edition hard bound For Your Eyes Only,)

They'd certainly have little to do with any modern Bond story. They were written in the 60's after all. It's a very different world these days (as Skyfall at least pretty much overtly acknowledged). However hardly anybody who goes to see Bond wants a 'spy' movie, they want an action movie. Good action movies starring female actors are few and far between, and I suspect you'd have a harder time convincing the studio a female Bond is worth putting several hundred million pounds of budget behind... I'm curious about Charlize Theron in 'Atomic Blonde', although I'm still rather upset they didn't use 'Atomic' by Blondie in the trailer..

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:14 am
What's a life?

Agreed, for the most part. Although there are still new Bond books (or were, I haven't looked recently, but at the end of the 80s a new writer was brought on board to write new, more up-to-date stories).

But... Why does it have to be a woman as James Bond? Why not make a new series with a strong female role?
Alternatively, do as I have said for the last 30 years, make J. Bond the cover name for Agent 007, who is then replaced, when the old one dies / goes into retirement. If they did that, it wouldn't be so far fetched to have a female take the role (or a coloured actor or or or).

It is the same with the travesty that is the Jason Bourne series. If they had used another name, it would have been a fairly good action film series, but for Ludlum fans, it is just a travesty of the original stories.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:58 am
Profile ICQ

jonbwfc wrote:
[...] And aren't Venusians the Ice Warriors?

I thought they were the original Martians...

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next