Which platform do you prefer, and why?
Windows 47%  47%  [ 8 ]
OS X 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Linux 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pie! 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

Mac or PC? 
I haven't seen my friends in so long

As mentioned in another thread, it's been a while since we had the old PC/Mac debate, and since people's IT releated needs do sometimes change, I figured now would be a good time to start it again, so...

Which do you prefer, and just as importantly, why?

For me, Windows is familiar, but I am comfortable using Windows, OS X or Linux, so it doesn't really make a lot of difference.

At the moment, OS X is giving me a headache, as I am struggling to get something working on an iOS app that works really easy for the Android platform, so I'm leaning towards Windows but which platform do you prefer?

Keep it nice please!

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:22 am
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Oh Good Grief :D

I'm currently using both (Windows 10 and the latest Mac OS) pretty simultaneously and I do have to say I prefer the Mac GUI. I can't really say why, I just find it easier on the eye.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:33 am
Doesn't have much of a life

I really should have gone for Pie but slipped in a vote for OSX.
Lets face it, there is something of the night about operating systems in general, tin foil hat etc. But I know nothing!

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:21 am

E. F. Benson wrote:
I really should have gone for Pie but slipped in a vote for OSX.
Lets face it, there is something of the night about operating systems in general, tin foil hat etc. But I know nothing!

Because I'm a very nice man, I set up the poll so you can change your mind, and re-vote. :D

John Vella BSc (Hons), PGCE - Still the official forum prankster and crude remarker :P
Sorry :roll:
I'll behave now.
Promise ;)

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:37 pm
Profile WWW

Pie here.

I've used macs and windows for years. Mac at home and Windows mainly at work. A few years ago I replaced my Mac at home with a Windows PC. I have to say I prefer the Mac OS gui and many of the ways it does things. My PC developed a fault in Windows (8.1) that I was unable to resolve so I've recently nuked it and installed Windows 10. Seems fine for now but I'll reserve judgement on Win10 until I've had a bit longer to play with it.

At the moment nVidia are doing there best to p!ss me off with their GeForce experience software which seems to have fundamental objections to running in a non-admin account, grrr. I can't really blame Windows itself for that but it's not a problem I'd expect find on a Mac.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm
Legend

Windows - I'd sooner have options to hand than go looking, though MS are doing their usual sterling work in that regard... Tbh all the OSs are crap, but Windows is the least worst....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:53 pm
Doesn't have much of a life

IMO an OS is only as good as the programs it supports.

When I bought my first computer in the early 90s one of the programs I wanted to use (Quark XPress) was Mac only and at the time there was no credible alternative, so I bought a Mac. Nowadays another program I use regularly (Logic) is Mac only and while there are other DAWs that would probably do the job just as well, I have over 20 years invested in learning how it works and don't really have the time or inclination to learn and alternative, so I'm still using Macs.

I dabbled briefly with owning an Android phone based on research that assured me it would integrate with my otherwise all-Apple world. It didn't. Therefore my latest phone is an iPhone 6S and I can't seem myself using any non-Apple computing products any time soon.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

Steak & Kidney, please.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:13 pm
What's a life?

I used to prefer OS X, but the mouse has never worked properly on the Mac. I don't know why, but it always feels a bit jerky. With Windows 7 , Microsoft gained the edge.

I was a.long the time Linux user, having abandoned Windows when XP came out and going to OS X when Apple switched to Intel.

Windows 8 was a big.leap.forward and with Windows 10, I feel that OS X is really trailing in the dust.
Kind
It just feels more.comfortable. All the apps.I need are.available on Windows and most also.under OS X, although a lot of business software is only available on Windows.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 pm
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Dave, is there something going on with your space bar?

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:23 pm
What's a life?

I was on my smartphone yesterday evening. I hate writing with on-screen keyboards.

I would also add that over the last 36 years, the iMac was the least reliable computer that I ever owned.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Last edited by big_D on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:39 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Windows 10, Windows 7 and windows XP..... In that order.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:22 am
Profile WWW

l3v1ck wrote:
Windows 10, Windows 7 and windows XP..... In that order.

The same

Now I have never used a Mac in anger only dabbled with friends ones
I have used iPhones but now prefer Android for the extra freedom and that iTunes is(was?) a bag of nails

OK, so all we need to do is find a half African, half Chinese, half Asian, gay, one eyed, wheelchair bound dwarf with tourettes and a lisp, and a st st stutter and we could make the best panel show ever.

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:20 am
Official forum cat lady

Mac definitely. iPhone, iPad and mac laptop which I prefer but have to use a PC (win10) for work.

I, like others, find windows incredibly annoying after been a mac user & support person for over 20 years.

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 am

Windows.. primarily for games and thus it wins hands down.

Amnesia10 wrote:
Yes but the opportunity to legally kill someone with a giant dildo does not happen every day.

Finally joined Flickr

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next