Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Pizza Making thread 
What's a life?

Yup have seen that. We were just pressed for time. Normally we make the dough around 2pm in time for cooking at 6pm. This time we left it for two hours only.

I tried to stretch the dough out by hand but the wife wasn't impressed and got the rolling pin out (again!). Does this make a difference to the dough in terms of taste/structure?

I was looking at cast iron pizza pans but they all seem to be expensive. Want something that does 12-14 inch bases. But spotted this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysui-Carbon- ... B01BYHXOZK - made out of carbon steel and a lot cheaper than this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-35-56-in ... B0000E2V3X

I would also love to make a pizza where the dough covered by the toppings is thin but the crust has puffed up and is much higher. No idea what term/style of pizza it is.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:42 am
I haven't seen my friends in so long

The Vintage Gourmet one is circa £20 usually and is indestructible - just make sure not to leave it wet and season it periodically. I use it for making American breakfast pancakes too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Gourmet-TM-Pre-Seasoned-Tortillas/dp/B00V29TT8M

As for stretching I'm always torn. I sometimes hand stretch but find I get thinner and more uniform results using a rolling pin. Is it cheating? :lol:

Depening on the dough recipe my pizzas do puff up, pretty much everywhere when it hits the hot pan, then starts to level off when I put the passata on. Staying away from the edges would give more rise on the crust but as my pizza of choice is Italian thin it might not be as much as you want.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 am
Profile WWW

cloaked_wolf wrote:
I was looking at cast iron pizza pans but they all seem to be expensive. Want something that does 12-14 inch bases. But spotted this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keysui-Carbon- ... B01BYHXOZK - made out of carbon steel and a lot cheaper than this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lodge-35-56-in ... B0000E2V3X

I would also love to make a pizza where the dough covered by the toppings is thin but the crust has puffed up and is much higher. No idea what term/style of pizza it is.

The first one looks more like a shallow cake tin to me and maybe a bit thin but hey, if it works. I suspect however that the heavy duty one will be completely bomb proof and probably last the rest of you life if cared for.
My Mum has a couple of cast iron pans like the second one and they're older than I am, still going strong with regular use. The main problem is the weight.

I'd always assumed getting a puffed up rim was just a matter of having it a bit thicker but can't say for definite.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 am
What's a life?

veato wrote:
The Vintage Gourmet one is circa £20 usually and is indestructible - just make sure not to leave it wet and season it periodically.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vintage-Gourmet-TM-Pre-Seasoned-Tortillas/dp/B00V29TT8M

Looks good though that one's only 10".

davrosG5 wrote:
The first one looks more like a shallow cake tin to me and maybe a bit thin but hey, if it works. I suspect however that the heavy duty one will be completely bomb proof and probably last the rest of you life if cared for.
My Mum has a couple of cast iron pans like the second one and they're older than I am, still going strong with regular use. The main problem is the weight.

I'd always assumed getting a puffed up rim was just a matter of having it a bit thicker but can't say for definite.

Yeah it does look a bit thin. I'm tempted based on cost TBH.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:13 pm

I find it's a good size for individual portions as the wife can't take more than 10 inches.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Fnarr, fnarr.

We usually have family round so there's four of us at least. Which means making lots of small pizzas, or a couple of large ones.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:05 pm
Official forum cat lady

veato wrote:
I find it's a good size for individual portions as the wife can't take more than 10 inches.

Can she take 10 inches x2?

jonbwfc wrote:
Caz is correct though

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:27 pm

cloaked_wolf wrote:
Fnarr, fnarr.

We usually have family round so there's four of us at least. Which means making lots of small pizzas, or a couple of large ones.

It is a problem with the little pan having to make multiples but they cook so quick we manage

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

Can't believe it's been almost a year since I lasted attempted pizza at home. We tried to make pizza today. I used Wolfgang Puck recipe from foodwishes youtube channel and made it into three balls instead of four. For the first proving, I put the dough in the oven which I'd heated up to 50*C and then turned off. The dough doubled but was quite sticky and I needed more flour before I could make it into balls for the second proving. Swmbo put it on greaseproof paper but forgot to add cling film to the top so the dough started drying out.

I tried to stretch the dough into a pizza shape. There were a couple of small tears in the dough. Transferred it to the preheated castiron pan and added my toppings. When it looked like it had cooked on the base, I shoved it under preheated grill until the cheese started to bubble and brown. The toppings were cooked and the bottom of the base was but the top of the crust looked anaemic. So I shoved it into the oven whilst we made the next two pizzas. Swmbo hadn't been impressed by my method and wanted to use the pizza trays (with holes in the base). The pizzas took longer to cook, and we ended up recooking the base in the cast iron pan.

The first pizza came out really nice but the crust hadn't risen very much. The other two pizza bases stayed flat. So still need to work on getting the dough right and practice using the cast iron pan method. The sauce was amazing. Used passata sauce to which i added some herbs purportedly used by Dominos Pizza and simmered the sauce until it reduced by half. Very thick and luscious and blew any shop-bought pizza sauce out of the water.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2