Reply to topic  [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 62  Next
Brexit Britain 
What's a life?

Location: The Right Side of the Pennines (metaphorically & geographically)
Given how bad reports are getting about the state of this possible deal, even I'm thinking a second referendum would be a good idea.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
What's a life?

I took my German test last Friday and I have my Einburgerungstest (citizenship test)this Friday.

The German language test was a doddle. I have to wait 6 weeks for the results, but I'm certain I have 100% on the audio part, 100% on the reading part, >95% on the written part and I passed the spoken part. So that hurdle is over - the level of German required is for beginners, about 6 months of German. I've been here for over 1.5 decades and speak German all day every day, so it was a walk in the park.

The citizenship test can be tested online and I need 17 out of 33 points, in the online preview, I managed 30, 32 and 31 point on normal, hard and very hard, so I'm fairly confident about passing that as well.

Once I get the certificates, I can then carry on with my citizenship process.

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am
Profile ICQ
What's a life?

Quote:
Bisto owner plans Brexit stockpile
Premier Foods has said it intends to stockpile raw materials in the run-up to Brexit as fears grow over gridlock at UK ports.

The firm, which owns Bisto, Oxo and Mr Kipling, said it was taking steps "in the absence of certainty over the arrangements for the UK's departure from the EU".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46191729

your posts are just combo chains of funny win

I’m on Twitter, tweeting away... My Photos Random Avatar Explanation

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 am
What's a life?

And while on the subject of stockpiling, the recent concerns about stockpiling drugs. As you may remember, I am asthmatic, and I use two kinds of inhalers to control my medication - pretty much like every other asthmatic in the country,. One to prevent symptoms from happening or worsening, ad one to stop them when they appear.

It’s a balancing act at times, but when you have found the sweet spot, all is good. Anyway, both inhalers are manufactured in mainland Europe in the EU. After Brexit, there is no guarantee that there will be licenses to import them, or issue them to patients. So, The question about stockpiling these raises its ugly head. Given that GPs are limited in how many of a thing they can prescribe (I can’t ask for a new inhaler this week, and then the same thing next week, and so on JUST IN CASE), and, it turns out from my last asthma review, that prescription requests are used to monitor how well my asthma is. So a spike in that could trigger alarms now or in the future.

So options are:
1 - Supply is fine, no problems, keep going as you are (unlikely, given how things are - leaving the EU will require at best all those licenses to be renewed or re-negotiated)
2 - Keep using inhalers as they are, and *hope* that when I hit a new prescription that there is a supply next March/April
3 - Start reducing even further my sue of them , especially the preventer, in the hope that I can push any renewal requests into May or June and hope.

Guess what, April/May is when local agriculture kicks in with crop spraying, oil seed rape flowering, and this all really does make my asthma worse. The perils of living on the edge of a rural town.

I’ve written to my MP asking her whether she can guarantee a continued supply after Brexit. Actually tried my best not to give her the opportunity to quote from Theresa May’s “Brexit Means Brexit” handbook. She replied, telling me that she’s written to the DH&SC for a reply. So let’s see where that takes me. I guess that there’s some boiler plate stuff that will be copied/pasted into the reply.

I am not alone - there are people out there with genuinely worse problems that I have that require constant medication, some which need to be refrigerated, so stockpiling is a major problem, and knowing that there will be an uninterrupted supply will help ease concerns.

Just remember that if you voted for Brexit, then you voted for this.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:40 am
What's a life?

Quote:
Brexit: Theresa May to face cabinet showdown over deal
Theresa May faces a crunch cabinet meeting later as she tries to win colleagues' support for a draft Brexit agreement between the UK and EU.

Senior ministers will gather in Downing Street at 14:00 GMT amid calls to reject the deal from both senior Brexiteers and some Remain supporters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46203425

Judging by how some of the Brexit lot are whinging on about it, we’re now in “you won, get over it” territory.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:09 pm
Occasionally has a life

MrStevenRogers wrote:
didgeman wrote:
MrStevenRogers wrote:

please do, enthral me with your acumen.

ps. did you know we are leaving the EU ...

The Fat Lady is yet to sing.

you are so right there, but you most probably wont like the tune ...

the EU have only two options on the table.
1. we remain, fully.
2. we are forced to leave, let me repeat that, forced to leave. there will not be done a deal.

so the lady sings, do you like the tune ...

More than you I suspect ...

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Spends far too much time on here

if anybody wants a read of the draft agreement you can download it from here ...

https://www.scribd.com/document/3932399 ... t#download

Nothing known travels faster than light, except bad news ...
HP Pavilion 24" AiO. Ryzen7u. 32GB/1TB M2. Windows 11 Home ...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:17 am

didgeman wrote:

the games afoot, i would wait and watch as its not over until its over. then the lady can sing ...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 am
What's a life?

MrStevenRogers wrote:
if anybody wants a read of the draft agreement you can download it from here ...

https://www.scribd.com/document/3932399 ... t#download

A friend of mine who had far more experience with legalese than I have says it’s impenetrable. Apparently (and expectedly) refers back to various EU documents along the way, which adds to the complexity as it appears that various clauses rely on clauses from elsewhere in the EU lexicon.

So, it’s a complex, knotty document. I wonder how the cabinet could make a judgement on it in such short time if they had not even seen it until they had that meeting yesterday. Is 5 hours long enough to read/digest and make sense of it all?

Anyway, the interesting news is that Dominic Raab has just resigned. He is in part responsible for it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46200010

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:52 am
Occasionally has a life

MrStevenRogers wrote:
didgeman wrote:

the games afoot, i would wait and watch as its not over until its over. then the lady can sing ...

Indeed it is.

Crunch time - No Deal - Take the Deal - Peoples Vote (Remain?)

Could go either way.

I think most can agree this is a $h177y deal. A complete failure by the fractured Conservative party to deliver on the mystical promised land.

The circle cannot be squared - half the population want to leave, half do not.

This is an impossible situation which we should never have found ourselves in.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:10 pm
What's a life?

Even more resignations, and Rees-Mogg is writing to the 1922 Committee.

Why the Tories have to take the whole country with them while they implode over the EU is beyond me. That’s what this whole bloody fiasco was about from the off.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:27 pm

the deal with the EU was always going to be a $hi**y one. i stated that at the very beginning. it would have been better to have left the EU and trade with the EU under WTO then start to negotiated a deal once out of the EU.
a leadership contest within the Tories is on the cards but i dont believe there is now time to get a deal. so we will leave and have a WTO deal then start negotiations with the EU. i have voiced this many times before.

as of another referendum that will not happen for one very simple reason, if think the country is divided now it would completely splinter under another referendum regardless of the result. the horse has bolted now all that is left is to close the stable doors.

the proposed agreement document is a nightmare you have to know EU agreements referenced from the last 40 years to even get a grasp of it let alone try to understand it (at this time im on page 212) but i dont think this agreement will get passed a vote in the commons, everybody seems to disagree with it from all party's on both sides of the house.

but looking on the bright side there is a silver lining. the face of politics within the UK will have to change after this and that can not be a bad thing ...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:23 pm
Occasionally has a life

Not surprisingly i don't agree.
The reason its a bad deal is we wanted our cake and eat it - this was never going to fly.
There are too many pro remain MPs for them to allow us to drop out without a deal - they know how damaging that would be.
My suspicion is we go back to the table with yet more extensions or that there is a second referendum.
We'll see..

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:34 pm

didgeman wrote:
Not surprisingly i don't agree.
The reason its a bad deal is we wanted our cake and eat it - this was never going to fly.
There are too many pro remain MPs for them to allow us to drop out without a deal - they know how damaging that would be.
My suspicion is we go back to the table with yet more extensions or that there is a second referendum.
We'll see..

your good self not agreeing with me is of no great surprise.
if the leadership changes within the Tory party. what hope of a deal or salvage of a deal do you think is possible,
best to remember, please, that the next PM will have a leave agenda (fill in the blanks) ...

and just as a ps.
i believe we are headed and very close to a 'war' type coalition of Govt. ...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm
What's a life?

Except WTO would still be worse than the deal. Again, WTO is for those who are incapable of coming to a trade agreement and define what the worst terms possible are.

It will also be interesting to hear how the deals with all the non-EU nations are going, now that the EU conditions with those countries are out of the windows...

Executive Producer No Agenda Show 246

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:02 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 925 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 62  Next